“Throughly Enjoyable”

Hotel San Francesco
Ranked #25 of 70 Hotels in Assisi
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed here for 6 nights while in Assisi and found it wonderful. The room was great with a magnificent views over the vally to St Mary's of the AnglesThe breakfast was great and the service very friendly.
As I was one my own I was loked after very well
Would stay again if I get the chance
Moya Melbourne Australia

Room Tip: Room well aired and confortable
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed October 13, 2011

The rooms seem a bit dated. The room was decent size for other rooms in Italy, however it seemed dated. The bed was just ok for comfort. The place just seemed like it could be updated.

The breakfast was fine with a broad selection of food.

The view from the Basilica side of the property cannot be beat in that town.

• Stayed: October 2011
Reviewed June 13, 2011

We stayed here as part of the Globus Tours package and it was by far the worst hotel we stayed in. Our room was small, but not too small to make the stay negative. The smell of the room was terrible and when you walked into the bathroom, the ceiling had so much black mold I had to shut the door and hope not to enter there too often. Great location but not clean enough for me.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank bloomlax33
Reviewed December 19, 2009

The hotel is well-located very near the Basilica of St. Frances. The breakfast buffet was included in the price and it was very good, including fruit, yogurt, cakes, meat, breads, juice, and all the caffe latte you could possibly want. The room was small and the bathroom miniscule. The price at 95 Euro seemed high, but we just walked in off the street with no reservation. We ended up moving to another hotel--Hotel Duomo near the church of San Ruffino--half the price and twice the room!

Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank VaBene001
Reviewed October 15, 2009

Just returned from a few-city trip with my elderly father-in-law. In Assisi, I chose the Hotel San Francesco based on feedback that I read on TripAdvisor. While Assisi is small, the location of this hotel is excellent, being in front of the Basilica. The staff was friendly, the rooms were small, but clean and functional, the breakfast was decent, and the on-site restaurant was good, but a little pricey. I've stayed at about 25 different hotels throughout Italy, and I'll stay at this hotel again.

If you travel up to the top of the hill behind the hotel (about 100 yards), there are several good restaurants with more traditional food at better prices.

Assisi is a WONDERFUL city. I'd recommend giving it a 1-2 day stay for a regular visit, or 4+ days for a very peaceful retreat.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank MisterTimUSA
Reviewed August 24, 2009

right opposite Basilica,though at the bottom of a steep hill up though town.Helpful nd friendly.Room comfortable with lovely view of valley below.breakfast very good,pannacota yummy.
Parking is confusing,be very careful when parking in hotels allocated place outside town,no parking near hotel.We went to wrong place and got a fine.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 22, 2009

This hotel ended up being the highlight of our trip. We only stayed there one night, and I wish we could have stayed longer. I knew ahead that it was a converted monastery, so I was not surprised at the "modest" room accomodations. The staff was wonderful and the food was great. When going with a tour, I have found that you should understand that food for, say 40 people doesn't lend itself to "exceptionally wonderful" cuisine. It's good, don't misunderstand, but making food for a large group necessitates a certain amount of commerical style cooking. This is a good rule to remember if you are thinking about booking a tour where the meals are included. The patio on the roof was wonderful and the sunset was amazing. The town itself is wonderful, and the staff at the hotel was very understanding and we stayed out on the roof much longer than they probably would have liked us to. I will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends