“Why so brusque? And make sure the hot water's on ...”
Review of Hotel San Rufino

Hotel San Rufino
Ranked #92 of 139 Assisi B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 18, 2014

I was tempted to give this a 2 out of 5, but the location and price are good. The hotel is easily accessible by short walk from Piazza Matteotti.
The Bad: the woman at reception (and who I interfaced with mostly during my stay) was exceptionally unfriendly. I’ve travelled in Italy a number of times over three decades, and never encountered someone so distinctly unhappy with my arrival, as if I’d taken her away from something much more important. She seemed bored, annoyed, detached (even with her heavy, colored eye makeup and Gucci glasses) and was quite brusque. After check in, she took me outside, around the corner, up some stairs, and into a second set of rooms. The room was “basic.” So basic in fact that I had no hot water or heat for the first night. At B’fast (5 Euro extra) I let the same woman know. She said “impossible.” I told her I’d be happy to demonstrate. She reminded me that breakfast done precisely at 10 a.m.
Thereafter Esmeralda (the “cleaning lady”) was quite pleasant and helpful. Got the hot water on and heat later that evening.

Room Tip: Ask to see other rooms potentially available, to get best for you.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for Hotel San Rufino

Reviewed February 2, 2014

My family and I recently stayed two nights at the Hotel San Rufino which is located just up a side street from the Cathedral of San Rufino near the top of Assisi. The easiest and most economical way to reach the hotel from the train station is to purchase a bus ticket from the train station's newsstand and take the bus (which runs twice an hour) to the Piazza Matteotti. Bus tickets are about 1.30 euros each and must be validated once you get on the bus. Ours were checked by an inspector who boarded the bus at one of the stops. As is typical in Italy, a fine is assessed if one does not possess a ticket or if a ticket is not validated.

Once you reach the piazza, follow the signs to the church. The hotel is up the street to the right when your back is to the church. We were welcomed warmly by the woman working the desk and given a map of the city. Assigned to a triple room on the second floor (third American floor), we had a large space with two beds (queen and a twin). The room had tile flooring throughout, basic furnishings, hard mattresses, and towels more like sheets than thirsty towels, but all of this is typical of Italy, especially in a two-star hotel. The bath was ensuite and had an enclosed shower, hair dryer, toilet, and bidet. Our room was across from the elevator, a location that I would not recommend. A loud bell dings when the elevator opens. Fortunately, there were very few people at the hotel because it was the off-season (January), so this was not an issue for us. Internet is available, but is spotty. I had to step out into the hall a couple of times to secure a signal.

Breakfast can be added to the price of the room when inquiring about availability. We paid an extra euro per person per day, which was well worth it: cereal, yogurt, bread, croissants, cakes, coffee (espresso, cappuccino, caffé Americano), hot chocolate, tea, juice, and toast were also available.

Everything we wanted to see was within an easy walk, as is true wherever one stays in the old city. Near the hotel are a few restaurants, a take-out pizza place, and a café. Be aware that the hotel's desk closes at 6, so you must arrive and check-in prior to that time. Guests keep their keys to let themselves in and out after 6 p.m. Check-out is at 10:30 a.m.

Room Tip: Stay away from the elevator which sounds a noisy bell when it opens.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank jsctraveler
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We have stayed in this hotel regularly and each time enjoy it even more than the last! We go out of season, so it is fairly quiet in Assisi - and I know that the town changes in the high season. The family who own and run this little hotel have two others on the same street. The one at the top of the hilly street also has a Bar with Wifi facilities and a very good restaurant serving homely food.
The San Rufino serves a light buffet breakfast, so you are referred to the other hotel for main meals. It is a clean, welcoming, good value hotel very near the historic church of San Rufino and a short walk into the main square.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank G and B R
Reviewed October 7, 2013

This was my 2nd time to stay in this hotel and the first time as a couple. It is a very nice hotel and is excellent value. We found the receptionists friendly and helpful. The room was nice and the bed was very comfortable. One minor quibble : the corridor lights are on a timer which extinguishes too quickly. Breakfast is of standard fare and plenty is provided.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

I'm sitting in room #1 now as I type this review. With a view of the cathedral bell tower. The room is very clean and close to the center of Assisi. I have stayed here 5 times over the years and have always been pleased.

• Stayed: September 2013
3  Thank larrycollins3
Reviewed May 28, 2013

We stayed one night in Assisi and arrived on the train and took a cab to our the hotel. We arrived before check in time and the woman was not very welcoming, she huffed and puffed when helping us ask where we could store our bags until check in. So do not expect friendly service but it was a nice room, very big and simple. Our room did not have air conditioning or at least we couldn't figure out how to work it but we had windows that we opened which was comfortable. Good location and was worth the price, other than the lady at the front desk.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 24, 2013

More austere than other small lodgings in Umbria but fine for a quad room. Our 17 and 21 year old daughters couldn't understand why we would bathe with "sheets" for towels (non-terrycloth!) The room was large without many amenities. The location is slightly removed from the main drag but within a short walk down a hill. Like other towns, we needed to unload the luggage from the car and quickly move it outside the city wall. No Internet service so go into a small bar to purchase WIFi time. For the price, worth the value if a quick stop in Assisi.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family