See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 6, 2007

My husband and I stayed here for one night while visiting the town of Assisi. We took a bus from the train station. The bus had one stop which was the main parking lot. There were cabs lined up there. So, we took a cab since we were not sure where the hotel was located. I honestly don't think we would have found the hotel on foot. Assisi is a lot larger than I was anticipating after reading other reviews of the area. Once we arrived to the hotel, we dropped our bags off since we arrived early and our room was not ready. We were told to leave our bags in a corner in the lobby. Not a controlled access drop off point, but we were not missing anything. The staff at the front desk spoke very good English and were very helpful. They provided us with a map of Assisi and showed us where the sites were located in relation to the hotel. We stayed in a Duomo room, which I believe is their standard size. The room was a very good size. There was a wardrobe with hangers to hang clothes, a small desk, and a TV. The room was very clean and quiet. The bathroom was rather small with no separate shower stall. There was a curtain that you would pull around you to separate the toilet/sink from the shower and a drain in the floor. It actually worked well and very little water went on the other side of the curtain. The towels were the thinnest I've ever seen for a bath towel. They looked like a very large dish towel. They were surprisingly absorbent though and worked well. They also provided shampoo packets and bars of soap. We did not eat breakfast in the hotel, so I cannot give information about that. There is a coffee bar with internet access right next door. We spent the night there drinking wine outside at a little table. Our stay was very enjoyable. To us, a clean room and courteous staff make for a good stay. We were not expecting much at this hotel since it was so inexpensive, and it greatly exceeded our expectations. I would definitely reccommend this hotel to others!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank travelingwinos
Reviewed August 23, 2007

(FYI: If traveling by train to Assisi, please note that the train station is outside of the town centro and requires you to take a very short bus ride to town.)

With that said, the location is fantastic and very close to bus stop (but make sure there is no construction blocking the walk as we had to make some detours which didn't take too long but was a bit difficult lugging 4 pieces of luggage over cobble stones.)

WHATEVER YOU DO . . .DO NOT ACCEPT ROOM 7 or most likely room 3 or 11 (as they are in the same line).

As there is no air conditioning at the hotel and it was the hot summer time, we needed to keep our windows open during the evening. What we got was an entire evening of the baby next door crying (as they too had to keep their windows open all evening) but what can you do about a baby.

What was really horrible was the fact that the room across the hall (and across the small courtyard . .same room) had a window in their bathroom (which was also kept open all evening) so during the course of the evening I heard a family of three going to the bathroom and flushing. It was louder than the one in our own room (which by the way was the worst bathroom I have ever seen in a hotel. . .you could barely stand up straight to brush your teeth without standing in the shower). I now know more about the bodily functions of people I have never met than I care to.

But Assisi is wonderful. We would highly recommend the town but unless you get a better room than #7, I would skip the San Rufino.

You can read about our time in Assisi by checking out our blog; our first story posted is here: [-]

There are lots of photos too . . . [-]
Happy Travels!!

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mysharonany
Reviewed August 5, 2007

This hotel is 'no frills' in its rooms, but it was a very affordable summer hotel. (Don't know how warm it would be in winter!) The breakfast was pretty good value for standard food - pastries, yoghurt's, toast, cakes, juice, coffee etc. The hotel has a great location. You must walk up the hill to the restaurant just before you exit the city gates - there is a veranda restaurant with amazing views and delicious, rustic foods. Take a jumper - even in summer it was cool. The staff at the hotel were polite, helpful. I speak a bit of Italian, so it was ok, but don't know how people would go if they spoke zero. Don;t expect boutique style or anything fussy - a good, affordable option with cafes, shops etc within 5 minutes walk. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2007
1  Thank MrKitty
Reviewed February 1, 2007

Assisi was my favorite of the 25 towns/cities I have visited in Italy. this hotel is on the other side of town from the Basilica, but it was still walkable to every major site -- and there are cool things nearby that I would have otherwised missed.
we didnt have a reservation, we just walked in and still got a very good price (I later checked expedia). the room was comfortable and nice. (no fridge I think). definately would recommend it.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank TongueTwister
Reviewed December 17, 2006

Large room, very clean, plainly furnished, but great value for the price. Likewise for the bathroom - clean, spacious, decent towels, lots of hot water in the shower. Light breakfast was served in the small dining area. Some street noise from passing loud groups, since we had the windows open.

CAUTION re Parking! We found the recommended parking lot with no difficulty - just a few minutes walk to the hotel. We parked on a Friday on the surface level of the parking lot, not realizing there were several underground parking levels also. On Saturday, when we returned to our car, it was surrounded by market stalls! There are big signs about not parking there on Saturday - even in English - but we missed them completely. Fortunately the car had not been towed away, and market vendors kindly helped us navigate out of our parking space & down the market aisles to the exit - where we found out we had to park again & go to an office to pay for the parking & get our card validated to permit exit! Quite a start to our day! Even though we told hotel staff on arrival where we had parked, they did not mention this detail to us! I suppose they thought we'd parked underground and all would be well.

Definitely book a dinner reservation at Ristorante Metastasio, Via Metastasio, 9 - sit on the outdoor panoramic terrace and watch the sun set over the countryside - stunning! Also, there's a great laundromat in the lower town, across the traffic circle from the Basilica di Santa Maria degli Angeli.

Stayed: November 2006