“Relax and Drink” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Azienda Agraria Saio

Azienda Agraria Saio
Ranked #2 of 7 Food & Drink in Assisi
More attraction details
Owner description: SAIO is the Vineyard of Assisi: 45 acres of vineyards and olive trees just 800 m from the Church of Saint Francis, UNESCO World Heritage Site. In our family farm we make small production wines which are the result of our passion and the best expression of our territory. Have fun with Pic nic and Trekking in the vineyards, Apprentice Wine courses, lunch and wine tastings and much more. We'll taste together white and red wines paired with the best local specialties.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Relax and Drink”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

The SAIO wine picnic (I would highly suggest this experience if you go to SAIO) was a highlight of Assisi. We were able to walk around the vineyard at our leisure and then enjoy a picnic with a wine of our choice and some delicious homemade brea, cheese and meat. Such a great afternoon, thanks!

Visited May 2013
agnesemenca, Proprietario at Azienda Agraria Saio, responded to this review, July 4, 2013
Dear Clare,
Thank you for your review!
I'm glad to know you had a wonderful time here in our winery tasting wines, relaxing and enjoying the unique view of S. Francis basilica from the vineyards!
Kind regards!

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Wisconsin
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 56 helpful votes
“Relaxing day in the vineyard and great lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I signed up for the walk in the vineyard and the picnic lunch. It was a perfect day to be outside, and we really enjoyed the time we spent there. There were two other couples there as well, and it was nice to share experiences with them. The picnic was waiting for us in a lovely setting. Highly recommend this.

Visited October 2012
Madison, Wisconsin
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“A highlight of our vacation to Italy”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We toured the SAIO vineyard and winery in early October on a beautiful fall day, sunny and warm. Several members of our tour split from the main group for the tour of the vineyards, followed by a light lunch at a vantage point that offered a spectacular view of the St. Francis Basilica and the city Assisi on the hillside above the vineyards. Although I don't remember the exact number of varieties they grow, it must be about a half-dozen, both reds and whites. The grapes had been harvested several weeks earlier, but enough remained on the vines to offer us tastes of the starting materials for the wines we then sampled during our lunch. Agnese, our hostess, described the origins of the family-owned and operated business. She led us through the descriptions of the various wines they produce as we sampled. Her enthusiasm was a joy and a highlight. The local meats and cheeses paired wonderfully with the wines. Normally I might not consider purchasing wine to ship back, but they were delicious and the shipping seemed quite reasonable. Plus, the wines were reasonably priced! And delicious! Did I say that, before? We carried one bottle back with us and shipped a mix of bottles of Merlot-Sangiovese and Chardonnay-Vioginier back to the US. All arrived safely. The day will remain one of our fond memories of the trip.

Visited October 2012
Thank you for visiting us!
I jope you enjoyed SAIO Assisi wines also at home in good company!
Very kind regards
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“WOW fantastic winery, Agnese, along with her father, I am deeply indebted to.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our fantastic friend Alessandra of DiscoveringUmbria.com took us to this winery. We had a wonderful time enjoying the sampling, and had the opportunity to purchase their 2007 Award winning Legenda Maior that I wanted to take back to the US. What I found out later was that I was prohibited to take this wine with me on the Liberty of the Sea cruise ship. I frantically got in touch with Agnese thru Alessandra, and they were able to garner some additional award winning bottles of Legenda Maior and ship them to my home address. What wonderful customer service is that! It will be a memory and experience that I will enjoy recollecting forever.

It was a pleasure to welcome you! :)
Thank you for the photo you sent us!
Come soon to visit us or enjoy SAIO wines also at home in good company!
Kind regards
Farmington, Illinois
“an ideal afternoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2012

As part of our tour in Assisi, we were treated to an ideal afternoon at the Saio Wine Shop and Vineyard! The tour of the grapes and the picnic in the vineyard were outstanding! Agnese provided excellent hospitality and taught us about wines, cheeses, breads, and the culture of the area. The setting for the picnic allowed a view of Assisi on the hill which was beautiful! GRAZI!

Kathleen, Illinois

Visited September 2012
I'm happy you appreciated the experience at SAIO Assisi!
I hope to see you again soon to enjoy together a glass of SAIO wine!
Kind regards!