“Relaxing day in the vineyard and great lunch”

Azienda Agraria Saio
Ranked #3 of 8 Food & Drink in Assisi
More attraction details
Owner description: SAIO is the Vineyard of Assisi: 45 acres of vineyards and olive trees just 800 m from the Church of Saint Francis, UNESCO World Heritage Site. In our family farm we make small production wines which are the result of our passion and the best expression of our territory. Have fun with Pic nic and Trekking in the vineyards, Apprentice Wine courses, lunch and wine tastings and much more. We'll taste together white and red wines paired with the best local specialties.
Reviewed January 4, 2013

My husband and I signed up for the walk in the vineyard and the picnic lunch. It was a perfect day to be outside, and we really enjoyed the time we spent there. There were two other couples there as well, and it was nice to share experiences with them. The picnic was waiting for us in a lovely setting. Highly recommend this.

Reviewed November 8, 2012

We toured the SAIO vineyard and winery in early October on a beautiful fall day, sunny and warm. Several members of our tour split from the main group for the tour of the vineyards, followed by a light lunch at a vantage point that offered a spectacular view of the St. Francis Basilica and the city Assisi on the hillside above the vineyards. Although I don't remember the exact number of varieties they grow, it must be about a half-dozen, both reds and whites. The grapes had been harvested several weeks earlier, but enough remained on the vines to offer us tastes of the starting materials for the wines we then sampled during our lunch. Agnese, our hostess, described the origins of the family-owned and operated business. She led us through the descriptions of the various wines they produce as we sampled. Her enthusiasm was a joy and a highlight. The local meats and cheeses paired wonderfully with the wines. Normally I might not consider purchasing wine to ship back, but they were delicious and the shipping seemed quite reasonable. Plus, the wines were reasonably priced! And delicious! Did I say that, before? We carried one bottle back with us and shipped a mix of bottles of Merlot-Sangiovese and Chardonnay-Vioginier back to the US. All arrived safely. The day will remain one of our fond memories of the trip.

agnesemenca, Proprietario at Azienda Agraria Saio, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2013

Thank you for visiting us!
I jope you enjoyed SAIO Assisi wines also at home in good company!
Very kind regards

Reviewed October 24, 2012

Our fantastic friend Alessandra of DiscoveringUmbria.com took us to this winery. We had a wonderful time enjoying the sampling, and had the opportunity to purchase their 2007 Award winning Legenda Maior that I wanted to take back to the US. What I found out later was that I was prohibited to take this wine with me on the Liberty of the Sea cruise ship. I frantically got in touch with Agnese thru Alessandra, and they were able to garner some additional award winning bottles of Legenda Maior and ship them to my home address. What wonderful customer service is that! It will be a memory and experience that I will enjoy recollecting forever.

It was a pleasure to welcome you! :)
Thank you for the photo you sent us!
Come soon to visit us or enjoy SAIO wines also at home in good company!
Kind regards

Reviewed September 29, 2012

As part of our tour in Assisi, we were treated to an ideal afternoon at the Saio Wine Shop and Vineyard! The tour of the grapes and the picnic in the vineyard were outstanding! Agnese provided excellent hospitality and taught us about wines, cheeses, breads, and the culture of the area. The setting for the picnic allowed a view of Assisi on the hill which was beautiful! GRAZI!

Kathleen, Illinois

I'm happy you appreciated the experience at SAIO Assisi!
I hope to see you again soon to enjoy together a glass of SAIO wine!
Kind regards!

Reviewed August 15, 2012

I first visited this shop in 1996 and ever since have stopped in for a few bottles. You can ship a mixed 6 bottle assortment home. I am happy not to have to carry my purchases and it provides a wonderful surprise when you get home to receive a little piece of Italy.

1  Thank Christine G
agnesemenca, Owner at Azienda Agraria Saio, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2012

It's always so nice when you come back home and find the wine waiting for you! :)
Thank you for your visit!
If you have empty SAIO bottles...We can ship you new ones!
Kind regards