“Wonderful Christmas Lunch”

Ristorante "Taverna dei Consoli"
Ranked #12 of 245 Restaurants in Assisi
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 22, 2014

This is really more of a "thank you" to the owners and staff at the Taverna for welcoming our fairly large (24) group into their place on Christmas Day. They served us a delightful meal of several courses, beginning with a local Christmas specialty, cappelletti (a pasta shaped like "little hats") served in a capon broth. Next up was gnocchi in a light cream sauce with shaved truffles that left me wishing I could take some home with me. Somewhere in the proceedings we were served the most tender and delicious sliced beef that I have enjoyed in a long time. The dessert I've forgotten, but I do remember that it was very good, and that I ate every bite.

The Taverna dei Consoli is a friendly, welcoming restaurant in the heart of Assisi that serves first rate meals. If you find yourself anywhere in the vicinity you should make a point of going there.

I hope to get back to Assisi and the Taverna myself one of these days. In the meantime, thanks to all there for their warm Christmas Day hospitality to a motley crew of "Americans". Your kindness was much appreciated.

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

This place was a pleasent surprise. At the opposite side of the Basilica di San Francesco (15 min walking) we discovered the most amazing place to eat in Assisi. The pasta was much more than delicious. The best of the best. You MUST at any cost eat here at least once in life. I suggest you to have TAGLIATELLE AL RAGU DI CINGHIALE.

Reviewed December 13, 2013

This review is for travellers who have Celiac Disease or are Gluten Intolerant:

The Taverna dei Consoli afforded excellent food with staff who were familiar with G.F. diet needs and were able to point out those items on the menu that could safely be eaten. The pork tenderloin medallions with balsamic reduction was delicious and a variety of vegetable sides that were prepared without sauces were delicious. However, I did have a GI upset after eating, so cross-contamination was a thought.

We ate out on their terrace/balcony which boasted "spectacular" vistas and we could, indeed, view the entire Piaza del Comune. It was a lovely, mild evening in late September and so enjoyable.

It helps to know that, unless a restaurant is AIC certified, there is no guarantee food will not be cross-contaminated. This depends entirely on the knowledge and willingness of the staff to be very careful. I think this was the reason I was so often sick after eating what seemed like it should be a safe dish. More lengthy discussions with wait staff might have saved me from this, I suppose, but, frankly, I got tired of explaining my needs everywhere we went-and that was my problem!

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I was there for lunch with the Umbria Region Senior Meeting on Nov. 15, 2013. We had a great customer service and the food was very good. I actually preferred the dessert. I had two of them. It was "Mille Foglie".... A Thousand Leaves.... It is absolutely delicious... We had a great time there and left the restaurant with smiles on our faces... We were happy the Region chose this restaurant for us.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

We often hesitate to eat in restaurants located around popular tourist piazzas for obvious reasons. It was raining out and this place was handy. We were not disappointed. The service (father and two sons) was very attentive and the food and wine were very good and reasonably priced. We'd definitely return.