“Acceptable”

Restaurant Medioevo
Ranked #42 of 232 Restaurants in Assisi
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Digital Payments, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: The Medio Evo restaurant is a special location with vaults of medieval times, the 700/800 made with the pink stone of Assisi, rich in architectural elements of the I and III century AC, from the Roman period a few steps from Piazza the Municipality. A careful search for raw materials, all fresh, seasonal, local products KM.Zero and national high quality and the experience and passion of William for good food, come wisely revisited dishes that rediscover the Umbrian tradition and that make up menus that change from time to time depending on the period.
Luxembourg
“Acceptable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2012

I visit Assisi every year, usually alone. I wasn't alone this year, so I took the opportunity to try at Medioevo a dish I'd wanted for years but had never tried because it was "for two". Why a risotto could only be prepared for two, I could never understand. However, we went and tried it. It was very good. But we were left with a sour taste because of the waiter's attitude of partially suppressed scorn and mockery at my refusal to order a drink (my mom had a glass of wine). The simple fact that restaurants have a huge margin of profit on drinks does not justify slight derisive sarcasm towards customers who refuse to play the game.

London, United Kingdom
“Strange atmosphere”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2012

Food was OK, but the atmosphere was strange.... could it have been because EVERYONE was English speaking and no locals at all? A huge room with 4 tables populated and everyone could overhear everyone else's conversations. Normally we love to have dessert but after this meal we finished our wine quickly and went out to get a Gelato to escape the atmosphere.

Having said all that, the strange atmosphere was something we noticed in quite a few places in Assisi so may be something to do with the, otherwise lovely, town.

Perth, Australia
“I must be missing something. Good but not very good”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

I must be missing something. Usually I like Rick Steve's recommendations, and the last time we were there an American couple at the next table said it was the best meal they had had in Italy.

The setting is nice - old cellar type big room, atmospheric.
The service is attentive and helpful.
The waiter suggested a wine when they didnt have what I ordered that was really really good.
But
I found the pasta good but not great given what else is available in town (the pasta with butter and sage was actually a creamy sauce with a sage leaf - nothing like what you might expect from other eating in italy).
The meat dishes are good and filling, but again not great in my experience from what you can get elsewhere in this town.
We have now been twice, about 2 years apart. I have never seen locals in this restaurant, while at Pallotta which is very close there are lots -- perhaps I went on quiet nights.

Cost is a bit high for local prices too - not over the top but more than other places nearby that are cheaper and where I enjoyed the food more.

Lots of people apparently like it - so give it a go; but I don't believe I will go back there next time.

1 Thank Mmck1956
Milan, Italy
“Lovely first dinner in Italy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

I came to Medioevo on my first night in Assisi (and Italy). I was jetlagged and wound up going rather early (around 7pm) and it was only me and two ladies from the UK in the restaurant. The waiter was extremely gracious and friendly, gave recommendations and timed the meal well. The food was very good (particularly the beef & mushrooms) and I'd definitely recommend it if your'e staying over in Assisi.

• Visited April 2011
Seattle, Washington
“3 years later we still remember our dinner here”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

This was one of the best meals we had in Italy during our trip in 2009. The wine list was incredible. We had a friend who gave us a list of the best local wines from the nearby Montefalco region and this restaurant was one of the few places that had most of them on their list. We enjoyed the meal so much we came back again to eat here the next night with some local friends who live in nearby Bastia. They also thought it was excellent which is a good sign. I hope they are as good as they where when we were there. I am sendng good friends back there to give us a report but the recent reviews seem to reflect their qulaity is still high

• Visited August 2011