“Wonderful experience”

Ranked #32 of 245 Restaurants in Assisi
Cuisines: African, Filipino, Polish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Our family style restaurant, with its blackened stone walls from the hearth, serves delicious traditional Umbrian food. Enjoy a variety of dishes from the wood-fired grill or the many other entrees available. Closed on Wednesday.
Reviewed July 20, 2014

A friend of ours brought us up to this wonderful self-service restaurant. I guess we missed the lunch rush, because there were only a few tables there. I love how you grab a table cloth, silverware and glasses, oh and a basket of bread (as many slices as you want), and then pick where you want to eat.

There was a great breeze blowing, and it was the perfect temperature. There are different locations for where you pick up your food after ordering. It's like a picnic but you don't have to bring anything. The wine was drinkable and the ambiance was relaxing, so much so, I wished I had a lounge chair. When you're done, you just leave.

This was a great experience! It was also fun to watch families eating together. Definitely worth the drive. I can imagine it is really crazy on a busy day.

Reviewed July 5, 2014

Probably not for everyone, it's a community gathering spot and the atmosphere is reflective of that and makes no attempt to attract tourists interested in white-tablecloth dining. Therein lies its charm. The food is dependably good, the atmosphere can be boisterous and chaotic, but it will be perhaps the most genuine Italian meal in the most authentic rustic setting you will have.

1  Thank cipollanera
Reviewed July 4, 2014

We had a good meal here, though perhaps not as good as all the reviews. We were here in the summer; I had not realized it was at a hotel and it was much brighter than I expected. No one really wants to sit near the heat in the summer! No reservations are accepted. This place features grilled meats and mountain food; there are still many choices for vegetarians. I had an interesting and yummy polenta dish with marjoram and oregano that was very unusual, though it came out lukewarm. The homemade noodles with arrabbiata sauce is recommended highly. I was not a fan of the zucchini gnocchi. The grilled sausages were delicious--as was the chicken on the grill (though I agree I have seen cheaper prices elsewhere). We also ordered the plate of onions. I thought it was good, but maybe not as local or authentic as the other reviews suggest. Tip: there is a fun playground nearby, which can be fun for kids. For driving, simply follow the signs from the gate at the top of the town. I would return.

1  Thank aventine
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Food, atmosphere, service, simplicity, authenticity, they blew our mind what else ask them more?
To accept card? To repaint the guests "graffiti" on the walls? To have a till rather than hand writing the bill in a piece of paper? To buy new furniture? To ...?
No, please don't do, don't kill your soul

2  Thank Mark E
Reviewed May 27, 2014

This was maybe my favorite restaurant in all of Italy. The food was good, nothing that will blow your socks off, but solid. It was the atmosphere and experience that really set this place apart. Very few tourists here, lots of locals. You might be sitting family style if you go here (we did), which was fine by us. English is barely spoken here, but the people are very friendly and accommodating. An accordion player and violinist came through for a few songs which the whole restaurant sang along with. It was almost the Italian version of a Hofbrauhaus.

Highly recommend going to this place, but go later (8pm or so) to catch the rest of the local crowd.