“A horrible experience”
Review of Assisi Retreats

Assisi Retreats
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Year round sacred pilgrimage retreats with meditation and meditative movement and yoga. Here you can connect to the unique peace of Assisi. This is a unique experience into the sacredness of this ancient hilltop town. We are dedicated to cultivating inner peace and happiness. By giving oneself a retreat in Assisi we experience it's profound spirit & beauty. As we bring this into our daily practices, our contemplative journey becomes especially powerful and memorable.
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“A horrible experience”
Reviewed November 1, 2011

First of all, I want to say that I am glad that others have found peace and happiness at this retreat, but my experience was sadly the complete opposite. I believe this retreat has become more about money than nurturing people. From the very beginning, I felt very disconnected from the couple running it. I did not feel as though I was in a supportive and warm place. Many of the things that are suggested at the retreat are contradictory to what they actually do.
The most hurtful thing that happened to me was when I shared something in confidence and that confidentiality was not only betrayed, but abused. Bruce made comments, behind my back, that were completely out of line, hurtful, unethical and unprofessional. It was a disgrace and the last thing you would expect from a health retreat such as this one. There were other things that happened to another member on my retreat... but as I did not experience it, I do not feel that it is in my position to use it in my examples.
I really do hope that people have a very different experience to mine...

Visited October 2011
39 Thank AMissie
AssisiRetreats, Owner at Assisi Retreats, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
This client was acting irrationally and as a professional we shared with her traveling partner that she should be seen by a therapist when she returned home...thus this unfortunate story unfolded.
Retreats are not meant for people who should be in therapy and once in a while these kind of events unfold. ...The vast majority of our guests have a time of beautiful simple peace...

Munich, Germany
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Real Assisi Peace”
Reviewed November 29, 2010

I came to Ruth and Bruce in time of personal turmoil and confusion. The daily sitting sessions in peace and silence and the wise and wonderful words in two eye to eye sessions with both of them really brought me back to myself. I didn't have the oppurtunity to stay at the house but in a simple and nice hotel in Assisi but next time (and there will be a next time) I want to stay in the retreat center. Talking of material things (in a way): The house breathes serene beauty in- and outside, with the lovely garden, the Buddha and Gansha statues, the marvellous view and landscape, the wonderful rooms, every detail reveals awareness and loveliness. Thank you for this silent experience, Ruth and Bruce!

3 Thank inga66
Bremen, Germany
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Endless blessings of simple peace and joy!!”
Reviewed September 22, 2010

Although a few months have passed since my sojourn to the Assisi Retreat Center, the sacred spirit of this very special place and my very special hosts, Ruth and Bruce Davis, is as alive and fresh as ever. Truly, “time” can in no way dim the shining light of beauty, joy and peace that engulfed my heart and soul completely during my stay at the “Gates of Paradise”, a sparkling jewel of beauty and comfort nestled in the pristine countryside of Assisi. The soft rolling hillsides alive with the most delightful array of wildflowers, colorful dancing butterflies and honey-humming bees provided me with the most joy-filled excursions I have ever experienced. The purity and beauty of the surrounding landscape perfectly reflects the spirit of the sacred space Ruth and Bruce have so marvelously, heart-fully created.
Beginning the day with Bruce’s guided meditation followed by Ruth’s sacred movements brought me to discover and explore new depths within. I felt so completely supported, by my hosts, by the silent space of the retreat center, by the small flowers and embracing hillsides, by the powerful presence of St. Francis and St. Clare of Assisi, by the deeply penetrating atmosphere of peace permeating all of Assisi.
It is difficult to articulate just how much I received in Assisi; truly, this receiving has in no way ended, thanks to the heart-opening that could happen in this place of peace, truth and love. Each day the language and song of my soul became more translucent, more radiant, more intimate. I found myself, sometimes through crystal streams of tears, sometimes through light bells of laughter, entering more and more the pure joy and innocence of my true self.
My gratitude is endless and eternal. Again and again, I bow into the softness, joyfulness and gratefulness of my true heart and am fulfilled. Words just cannot express how thankful I am to Ruth and Bruce and to the sacred space of Assisi. My heart embraces you continuously!!
I whole-heartedly recommend this retreat to anyone who seeks true rest, healing and homecoming. In this sacred place of simple peace, love and beauty, the heart and soul are nourished and supported in the most life-enhancing way. I can assure you, you will be welcomed by two of the most generous, radiant, deeply loving hearts I know!

3 Thank Clover44
Kronberg
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Alle Porte Del Paradiso - I feel I have come home”
Reviewed September 8, 2010

Many years have passed since I have first met Bruce and Ruth on their Retreats in Assisi and on their beautiful farm near the town. I have no words for my gratitude to God and His Grace which guided me to find them. I did not know what to expect when I came first and that was good. I just came with an open trustful heart. With Bruce and Ruth guidance as spiritual teachers and friends I was able to feel the intense Sweetness of the Holy Places in Assisi and the shelter and protection offered when I went trough phases of pain and guilt. How blessed I felt when there was relief, forgiveness and joy from "above". My last Retreat with them was in June/July. Every time when I come to sit in Silence there is a "message" and I am always surprised of what is shown to me. Becaus it is so true and right. We all are connected to a pool of wisdom. A friend of mine said the other day:"We are whole, we always have been, but we have forgotten. Still there is something in us which longs so much to remember."
My prayer for today: "Dear God, let me not waste time, life is so short and let me walk my path with a sweet courageous heart, Amen."

3 Thank KruegerKronberg
Assisi
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Discovering Peace in Assisi”
Reviewed September 2, 2010

I recently participated in a 5-day retreat at the Assisi Retreat Center with Bruce and Ruth Davis. My experience was profound and enlightening. Through simply focusing on the beauty of nature and experiencing silence with daily meditation and sacred movement, I experienced the profound peace that brings me closer in my relation with God. It is a treasure to experience this in a world that is sometimes hurried and superficial. I can now bring a sense of peace to me more readily. The location is truly a paradise and Ruth and Bruce Davis are dedicated to helping others find their path, while honoring each person's needs for spiritual growth. I am thankful for this experience and highly recommend it to others.

2 Thank cieloterra