“Good hearty food”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Osteria Nonna Gina

Osteria Nonna Gina
Ranked #37 of 521 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Highchairs Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Good hearty food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

I've been to this restaurant a coupe of times and it is always a pleasant experience and always busy. It's deceptively large, with a downstairs area. The menu is pretty large and I don't think there is an English translation (it's been a yer since I've been here so this may have changed). Both meals I've had here have been great, with a good atmosphere and helpful service (for translatins).

The icing on the cake is the bottle on grappa, limoncello and amaretto at the end of the meal!
Great [place for a low key dinner with friends

• Visited June 2012

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
Baar, Switzerland
“A cozy place for hungry people!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 7, 2013

A small and cozy restaurant a little bit outside of the city center.

We had a "primi piatti" and a "secondi piatti", both were really excellent but far too much for a lunch time!
So unless, you are really hungry, I would recommend an appetizer and a "primi" OR a "secondi piatti".
I have seen someone else getting a steak "Parmigiana" and it was a really impressive piece of meat!
We did not try the wine but we've got with the bill "offered by the house" a Grappa or an Amaretto.
It looks like that at lunch time, the place is quite busy. It's better to arrive quite early.

Tampere, Finland
“Ribollita”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2013

I came here recommended by the B&B where I was staying. It is a small, homely 'grandma' restaurant. The service is good and the waitress gave good advice. I wanted to have both gnocchi and ribollita but she said that the portion are quite big. So I ended up to have only the ribollita. She was right. It was definitely enough for me. I had high hopes for the soup but it was actually better than I expected. It had definitely brewed a long time, maybe over the night (?). So soft and mellow it was.

The 'grandpa' was chatting with the guests, at least with those ones who could understand Italian. I could not so I just had to imagine the stories. Then he took a small photo album and showed photos of his pet. A pig(let) called Piccolo (?). It assumingly lived inside a house. Anyway, nice restaurant to come and relax and enjoy good home-made meals. To finish up they brought two bottles to the table; grappa and amaretto. Wow, the smell of the amaretto was so strong and sweet.

Saint Louis, Missouri
“OK-food very plain. Atmosphere cozy --on a rainy night.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 21, 2013

Ordered chicken-grilled. It was unseasoned and extremely plain. At the end they bring complimentary grappa--which was a nice touch. My husbands food was very simple as well versus the complex flavors we had in other places. Wouldn't go there again.

Chicago
“OK but not agan”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2013

We were recommended to this restaurant by our hotel. We were dissapointed. It is a small, restaurant, somewhat far from downtown. Food was "OK". Nothing special. Lots of it -- perhaps a good choice for a very hungry traveller.