See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed October 15, 2017

Room was dark, poky and depressing but worst of all was the street noise making it impossible to sleep. The man on reception was unfriendly and unhelpful and refused to move me to another room. The en-suite was tiny with nowhere to put anything. Siena is a wonderful city but after 5 nights of no sleep I was happy to return home.

Room Tip: avoid ground floor rooms
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled with friends
2  Thank eszterdavis
locandasm, Direttore at Locanda di San Martino, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2017

Dear Guest,
You reserved a standard room at 32,00 euro per night (in an historycal building in the heart of the Medieval center of Siena!!) We have only 2 standard rooms in our Hotel and both of them are on the ground floor. This is why the price was so low
None of our staff was unfriendly with you and nobody refused to change your room but the hotel was complete and we could not downgrade another guest in the standard room you booked.
I know, however, that our staff was very accommodating and tried in all ways to be inclusive even by providing ear plugs.
We are sorry for the noise discomfort, but honestly, from 8pm the street we are in, is absolutely silent, as we are in the pedestrian area and there are no bars or restaurants nearby
Unfortunately sometimes it happens that to save a lot, you get less than you wish. It is the "law of the market"
Regards

Reviewed June 24, 2017

When I booked this hotel, I was led to believe that I would get a room with a view, Instead, I was given Room 103 on the ground floor, with a window on the narrow street outside. When I protested I was told that there were no other rooms available, and since I had made a non-reimbursable booking I was "stuck". The room was so dark that you had to have the one neon light, hanging from the ceiling, always turned on, which of course made you visible from the street and reduced your privacy. Therefore, I had the dreary curtains drawn around the clock. The reservation said I would get a queen-sized bed, but the bed in the room was only a double (it was good, though). The bathroom was extremely small (no bidet) and it was difficult to even turn around in it. There was a strong smell of mould, and I had to keep the fan running around the clock to try to clean the air. There was no place to put your bath articles. The shower was good, but there was no place (except the floor) to put a shampoo bottle. The light in the bathroom was so faint that it was difficult to even shave successfully (or, I imagine, put make-up on). The general impression of the room was very gloomy and depressing, floors and walls decrepit and not particularly clean. I will not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Room 103 is the only room in which the double-bed cannot be separated into two single beds. So, to avoid Rm 103, ask for single beds.
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled solo
1  Thank jjonsson2017
Reviewed August 29, 2016

We had a three night stay at this place and it was very small, noisey and dirty. 2 female staff were friendly and helpful but male staff were disinterested in us wanting to book tours . The breakfast room was small but ok.

• Stayed: August 2016, traveled as a couple
1  Thank evanspastoral8
Reviewed July 3, 2016 via mobile

If I had been backpacking this hotel may have been okay. Manager disinterested and never at his desk. only 12 seats in extremely small breakfast room. Paying top dollar to Peregrine Adventures. Would not recommend unless you are short of cash and desperate.

Stayed: June 2016, traveled with friends
1  Thank whitelum2016
Reviewed June 4, 2016 via mobile

This place is in a great location but the rooms leave much to be desired. Our air conditioner sometimes gave off a mist that I think caused me to get quite stuffed up. The breakfast which is included is so-so. I usually went to grab a second breakfast but if all your after is a croissant and a couple cold cuts and coffee then you are good to go.

Very difficult to make your own food. It is "forbidden" to use the kitchen after breakfast. One of the employees allowed us to steam some veggies but most staff will not allow you to do this. We weren't even allowed to use the microwave.... Come on it takes zero effort. Staff were decently friendly unless you ask to use the kitchen. Don't valet your car if driving as there is parking about a 5 min walk away within the blue lines down the road.

Definitely pay for the location and not the room but the piazza del campo is just a few minutes down the road.

Room does get stuffy as it is an older building. No automatic laundry facilities close by unless you pay for full laundry service.

Stayed: May 2016, traveled as a couple