“Excellent value in the heart of Siena”

Locanda di San Martino Siena Residenza d'Epoca
Ranked #71 of 125 Siena B&B and Inns
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We were quite happy with our stay at Locanda San Martino. It is a simple, small, hotel, so someone expecting the services of a large hotel will be disappointed. We had three rooms, all on the back side of the hotel, and found them quite pleasant. The "classic" rooms are somewhat small, but the junior suite has more space and a separate sitting room. Vanessa in reception was quite helpful. Breakfast was good, and the beds comfortable. The street in front is narrow and has some traffic, so I can see how room on the front side could be noisier. While it is reasonably walkable from the bus station, it might be worth taking a taxi if you have much luggage.

I would gladly stay here again, and would recommend to friends, though with appropriate expectations.

Biggest annoyance was the general flakiness of the (free) wi-fi.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Locanda di San Martino Siena Residenza d'Epoca

Reviewed December 25, 2011

The hotel is centrally located right next to the Piazza del Campo. The street is nice and calm. Staff was very helpful and kind - first night we arrived we were given great room, cozy and beautiful. Also taking into account that hotels located in old medieval buildings are usually cold I need to note that our room and the whole hotel were very warm!
Our prima colazione (breakfast) was also incredible. Very nice gentleman who was taking care of us beginning from our check-in was attentive and caring. For breakfast we had fresh fruits, juices, excellent local pastry and bread and incredible cappucino!
Grazie mille for this stay!La prossima volta ritornero in Locanda di San Martino :)

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 21, 2011

We had also heard great reviews of the hotel. It was indeed a great location, close to the center of Siena and the Campo. Breakfast was great - good quality and quantity. Unfortunately two things stick in my mind when rating the hotel:
- furnishings and finishes were tired, worn and looking shabby
- the biggest challenge was the noise from outside and inside the hotel at all times of the night from passers by, returning guests and (service) vehicles driving by.

Room Tip: Request a room at the back of the hotel as we stayed in a very noisy room at the front. There is an...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 25, 2011

We had read good overall review of this hotel and were looking forward to the stay. Coming from Rome the morning of, we were able to check in right away. However we got a room on the 2nd floor right next to the tiny "breakfast room". Vanessa was really helpful as mention in other reviews and show us where to go for a nice dinner. We enjoyed the quite and charming town, but sleep in the hotel was impossible! All night you can hear LOUD noise of cars and mopeds going thru the small street in front which echoes loudly. You can even hear ppl walking by. Walls are paper thin. Coming from Rome we were hoping to sleep in the first morning but were waken by noise of next door room under construction early in the morning. The next night was worst with traffic going thru all night in at shortest 10 minute intervals which almost sounds like train going by due to the echo of the small streets with tiny outlets (no intersections). I am not sure if the other rooms were available or would have been better but we did not have a chance to even speak to the front desk person next morning (if there was one) as our cab had arrived.
I would not recommend this place at all, especially at the front of the hotel!

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 19, 2011

Convenient location 2 blocks from the del Campo. Vanessa is warm and helpful and Roberto seemed tired but was helpful.
I personally find the use of superlatives a bit over the top and thus I am attempting to be honest and therefore helpful in enabling others to make an informed decision.

If you do not expect frills then you won't be dissapointed here. This is a basic hotel good for one nights stay. If I were planning to stay longer I'd find an alternate hotel.

The waitress serving breakfast was efficient but cool. Breakfast was very basic and served in a small windowless room.

My room was located at the back of the hotel and was very quiet and the view of the sunrise was spectacular! We slept with the window open and enjoyed the cool night breeze.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed October 2, 2011

Cons: Going by all the previous reviews we were really looking forward to - a lovely large room with beautiful views of the city. However we were mistaken! We got a ground floor room facing the street at the front of the hotel, bars on window with traffic speeding past right by our window. No light came into room therefore it was always dark. Bring earplugs as you will have difficulty sleeping at night otherwise. Room average size however size of rooms doesn't bother me.

Pros: Location of hotel excellent. Staff seemed nice. Wonderful city. Get a Si pass very good value to spread sights over 3 days.

Room Tip: Tip: Make sure you don't get a room on the ground floor.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 30, 2011

This is a great hotel with a newly installed elevator!! Unfortunately for me, they were just finishing the installation, however, staff was lovely and carried my luggage all the way to the top floor. My room was HUGE, actually, too big for one person. There was a second room and t.v. that I never even used. Room is air-conditioned with flat-screen TVs, Wifi, and a telephone. Staff helped me navigate to wherever I wanted to go. Breakfast was great with made-to-order cappuccinos, sliced cold cuts, cereals, cornetti (croissants), yogurt, etc. Nice, clean, large bathroom and they provide soap and a hairdryer. There was a refrigerator in the room, too. Hotel is located about two city blocks from the Piazza del Campo. Very quiet location. I highly recommend this hotel as a good value with the conveniences you want in a hotel.

Room Tip: I am not sure if all rooms are suites, so if you want one with a "bedroom" and "livin...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo