“A fine choice”

Palazzo Fani Mignanelli
Ranked #78 of 125 Siena B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 24, 2012

We spent a night in room 11 as we had 3 of us. The room had wooden beamed ceiling and was comfortable. The bathroom and shower were fine and clean. We slept well and it was very quiet. While it was on the fourth floor and we did the steps each time, it was kind of like your own little enclave. Breakfast was vey nice and it was quiet and relaxing. The location is superb. After getting off the train, a taxi took us straight there. I would not have wanted to be either the driver or navigator because the inner walled city is not set for cars, though they do drive there. We enjoyed our stay

Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank Jackban
There are newer reviews for Palazzo Fani Mignanelli

Reviewed October 5, 2012

Located in a small backstreet only a few steps from the Piazza del Campo, Palazzo Fani Mignanelli is in a great location for exploring Siena.

Situated on the 4th floor, there is a rather scary glass lift to access the hotel. The man on reception was not talkative or particularly helpful, but we didn’t mind too much as we were only there for one night. He did redeem himself somewhat by providing us with a UK plug adapter!

Our room (Room 3) overlooked a side street (so quiet) was reasonably spacious with air con, fridge, safe and cable TV. Very nicely decorated throughout. Beds comfortable and all clean. The en-suite shower room was a good size and very clean. Good shower strength.

Breakfast is served in a small side room and was basic, but okay.

No car parking nearby as it’s in the pedestrianised part of town, so could be a bit of an issue if you’re carrying a lot of luggage.

Apart from the grumpy receptionist and basic breakfast, I would recommend this B&B for a short stay in the centre of Siena.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank dwrgodden
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Reviewing this hotel provided me with the biggest “headache” of all my two week trip reviews. There is so much that is good about Palazzo Fani Mignanelli but there is so much that could be better – much better.

Starting with the instructions on how to get there. Superficially, the instructions on the web site could not seem better. The attention to detail will test, those with short attention spans, such is its level of detail. In the last paragraph, they explain how difficult it is to get to the hotel by car and that if you have a lot of luggage, or have infants, or are infirm, (you get the picture), then you may park closer to the hotel, for a period brief enough for you to unload your baggage.

That useful bit of advice would be more welcome, if it were not for the fact that when you step out into the street, that the hotel is situated on, (slight exaggeration coming up), you run the risk of being hit by a taxi! In fact, when we checked out, the desk clerk said, (and I am quoting), “Would you like me to call you a taxi”? Say WHAT? You mean I parked hundreds of metres downhill, ascended numerous escalators, struggled up via Rossi, then fought through throngs of shoppers and tourists on via Banchi di Spora...when I could have got a CAB! At least ply me with some flim-flam about it being “not possible”. I could have then, at least, convinced myself that the cabs I dodged for three days, were doing so illegally.

My advice to any potential customers of the hotel would be to print off the directions, then throw them in the trash. Park your car on the outskirts of Siena, (for free), then call a cab and get dropped off right outside the door. Then you will avoid the scandalous, “discount”, rate of €25 a day parking charges, (if there's anyone in the parking booth to give you your discount that is). You will also avoid the five, (yes, five), flights of escalators, that take you from the “easy” car park to the town centre. Which still leaves a ten to fifteen minute uphill walk to the hotel entrance. Woe betide you, if one of the escalators isn't working, (as in our case), it's no fun struggling along a lengthy flight of stairs, with a heavy suitcase.

Every Italian “traffic free” city I have ever been to, suffers from some form of traffic problem. I know businesses have to be stocked and day to day life must go on. If you want traffic free – go to Venice. So I dodged the odd white van, even the occasional scooter, with good grace but the sight of so many cabs crawling through the historic centre, made me wonder why the hell I had parked my hire car way below, at a rate that only organised crime could have set.

There is only one other aspect of the hotel that I don't think is publicised enough – indoor steps. To be fair, the hotel is located in a historic and charismatic old building. So it was to be expected that it didn't have “modern convenience” but the fact that so many steps may have to be negotiated, needs to be made more clear on the hotel web site.

So I didn't like the hotel right? Wrong. You could only get closer to the Campo if you actually stayed on it. The staff were all helpful, with a special mention to the young man in reception, on the day of our arrival. After the horrors of the escalators, then the ten minute, sweaty uphill trudge, he whisked our suitcase from us and carried it up the stairs into our room. A thousand thanks for that.

The room itself was quite lovely, with a mix of contemporary and traditional fittings. The wi-fi was free and had a strong signal. The shower was one of the “everything in a cubicle” style and although effective, did feel peculiarly flimsy. Breakfasts were reasonably basic but quite adequate.

Would stay at the hotel again? Yes, I think I would but this time I'd park the car waaay outside the historic centre and call a cab. Finally hotel, please don't say “That's not possible”. If your own staff suggest it and I see cabs driving around the historic centre at all times of day – that's just plain nonsense.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JandApe
Reviewed August 23, 2012

I have booked a room at the hotel, deciding for the suite because it had a third bed for a friend coming to visit who hurt his back very badly and needed a confortable place to stay for one night,. The owner, who spoke poor English, probably did not understand about the arrival of the friend and when she arrived and we were not yet in the room, he did not let her come up and neither help her or offered her to sit in the lobby but we found her lying on the floor at the street entrance since she came in a taxi and had no place tl go, speechless and visibly in pain.
When we spoke with the owner he was very rude and unmovable about a third person even if we tryed to arrange a fee or an upgrade in order to help our friend who was also visibly in pain.
He suggested we checked in somewhere else even if most of the hotels were fully booked since it was the middle of August and left the lobby in the middle of our discussion to get our luggages from the room.
I do not recommend this place, the rooms are not worth the price even if the location is very central and the building is nice.
I have never been in such a situation and the owner was very un polite and aggressive for no reason as we were talking very calmly and trying to find a solution.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 21, 2012

This hotel is only steps away from Il Campo, a campo that thrives in people watching, enjoying a bite to eat, shopping, and being introduced to a delicious bottle of wine. It's all there. In the walls of Siena vehicles are not allowed unless commercial. Cabs can take you right to the door of this hotel and pick you up upon your departure, so vehicle access is no worry. Otherwise the streets are occupied by pedestrians. The hotel is located through an alley surrounded by a floral shop and what an incredible way to welcome guests than with the smell of fresh flowers. I've noticed the photos of staircases on Trip Advisor, but don't let this frighten you. There is an elevator that is big enough for you, your partner and 2 to 3 pieces of luggage. That's it. You better like your partner because this is some close quarters for about 45 seconds. The rooms are very clean. We visited in September 2011 and our room was on the top floor (3rd). We had a window in the wall and another in the ceiling. Each window had a block out shade. Our only complaint with the room is that it was warm being on the top floor. There is an AC unit; however, if the shades were left open the AC unit was worthless. We would close the shades when leaving the room in the a.m. and found them open by the hotel cleaning staff during the late afternoon which made our efforts in keeping the room cool null and void. Hindsight, maybe we should have left a note for them. Otherwise, no other complaint. This place cannot be beat for its location!

Room Tip: Top floors are difficult to keep cool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AliBug
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Beautiful quaint hotel only minutes from the square. Our large room had a glass ceiling which was lovely and also a table with two chairs and a sofa. There were earplugs provided but we DEF did not need them. Staff very helpful and very good value for money. One tip is use restaurants off the square as the food is much better and better priced.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank FionaDorothy
Reviewed June 24, 2012

My experience at the Palazzo Fani Mignanelli enhanced my overall enjoyment and pleasure of the several day holiday I recently had in Siena. My room was large, wonderfully and casually decorated in an Italian style and overlooked the skyline of Siena. It was clean and the air-conditioning worked wonderfully well during a very hot week.

The hospitality extended by Roberto, Vincenzo and the lovely women who served the breakfasts made me sure that I had found the hotel my husband and I would stay at when we returned next year for the Palio and for subsequent visits.

However, the unhelpful, surly and arrogant behaviour exhibited by Andrea made me question the choice of ever staying at Palazzo Fani Mignanelli again and has, in fact, made rating this hotel very difficult. The service of the rest of the staff deserve a rating of "5" but the service extended to us by Andrea spoiled our experience.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends