“Last-Minute Hotel Booking - What a Deal!”
Review of Hotel San Marco

Hotel San Marco
Ranked #9 of 40 Hotels in Siena
Rome
“Last-Minute Hotel Booking - What a Deal!”
Reviewed August 20, 2014

We decided very last-minute to attend the Palio of Siena and were desperately searching for a room in or near the city center for the night of 16 August as most of the affordable hotels and B&Bs were fully booked. Fortunately we saw that there was one room available at the Hotel San Marco, about 1.6 kms from the walls of the city. The price quoted by a popular online booking company was 150 euro for a double room. Before completing the online reservation, I called the hotel to confirm availability and was quoted the price of 90 euro for a double! We grabbed the room! When we got to the hotel ( a short bus ride away from the train station) the concierge told us that we were given a Director's discount, we're guessing because the room was still empty the day before the Palio.

We couldn't have been happier with our choice of hotel ( and luck)! The hotel was very comfortable, with modern furnishings, a nice bathroom and comfortable bed. The breakfast, included in the price of the room, featured choices for most travellers, including cereals, yogurt, bread, cheese, ham and a variety of cakes and croissants. And its location just outside of the center was not a problem at all as local bus service brings you directly to the heart of center, right near the Piazza del Campo, if not a taxi ride is about 10 euro.

We would gladly stay at this location again for next years' Palio!

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CVKRome

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Genoa, Italy
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Spend just a night; warm welcome, efficient reservation management.
The 2 rooms were almost equivalent, clean enough, with a good toilet with shower

Unfortunately the AC was noisy with no possibility to trim its speed: so I left the window opened
It's near a two road cross, noisy till very late

I think that with a little regular maintenance it can be perfect as it was when build

Room Tip: ask second floor and CHECK AC noise before accepting the room
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Paris, France
Reviewed July 5, 2014

This is a well maintained hotel, clean, comfortable and quiet with nice rooms. Large free parking. Staff is efficient and there is a high quality breakfast. Wifi is not free.
You can walk to the center of Siena if you're fit or just take your car.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Simi Valley, California
Reviewed May 2, 2014

We booked this place with short notice not expecting much, but were very pleasantly surprised. Annamarie at the desk was extremely pleasant and helpful, the room was modern and quiet, and the breakfast was excellent. Since it was raining, we went to the restaurant next door, at Annamarie's suggestion, and it was great and inexpensive! We were the only non-Italians in there. We saved so much on dinner and the room that we can splurge tonight on dinner elsewhere!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank djodland
Munich, Germany
Reviewed December 27, 2013

We spent a week in Tuscany this year in October and decided to stay some nights in Sienna and some nights in Florence. Based on the bad weather we had in Germany, the decission to drive the way down to Italy with our motobikes was changed to go by car plus trailer. This was a good decission, because it rained all the way down to italy. Based on that vehicle fleet, we need to have a hotel with a good parking situation.
The Hotel San Marco has a phantastic parking place and the staff was really friendly when I contacted them to ask about the possibility to keep car + trailer there during we drive arround the country. So I absolutely can recommend Hotel San Marco for all bikers.
The hotel is located a bit outside from the city-center, but for biking it is really great because you don't have to deal with getting lost in the "catacombs" of this beautiful old city.
The hotel itself is new and clean, our room was very big and even it is near a mainstreet, our room was very quiet because of the good windows. The interieur of the hotel is very aesthetic and the staff is really helpfull and friendly. The breakfast was really great, we had not expected such a nice breakfast at an italian hotel, because we made a lot of different experiences in other places is italy! The hotel has no own restaurant, but for every evening, we got a recommendation by the nice staff-ladies and it was always good.....and follow the rule, never go to a restaurant directly at the piazza del campo, extremely expensive, bad service, bad quality.
From Hotel San Marco, just go the opposite of the street and take the bus to the centre. Every 15 minutes there is a bus. After walking through the city and having a nice meal, it was about a 30min walk back to the hotel and the way down was absolutely a benefit.
all in all, we had a fantastic stay at San Marco and we aboslutely can recomment this place, especially in comparisson to the good price for that great and clean place with really nice staff! I wish more places like this would exist in Tuscany!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank erbu70
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 26, 2013

Great hotel, very new.
Staff friendly, clean and spotless room, excellent breakfast.
Not centrally located but not a problem if you are renting a car as we did; parking free
They also recommended a very nice wine tasting tour that was awesome

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
San Francisco, California
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay in 2 different hotels in Siena because our trip had to be broken up in the middle (we had to go to the other hill towns for our hot air balloon reservation). We stayed 1 night at MAX Hotel, and the other 2 nights we stayed in San Marco Hotel. Both are equally rated and because I was torn on where to stay, I thought I'd stay in both places so I can compare and tell you which I like best... which is hard. This review will also be posted for Max Executive Hotel.

I'd say that Max Hotel is good, and San Marco is ok.

Both are modern. Rooms and beds are great at both places. Bathrooms, however, were OK, but I'd say Max Hotel was better. I recommend bringing/wearing shower slippers as the showers are a little grimey. The shower at San Marco leaked badly and the tiles were icky.

I was greeted at Max Hotel by a friendly girl who gave me a map, offered suggestions on where to eat, where to park for free to get into Siena, etc. Overall, she was very helpful. I had to wait about 10 min before someone finally greeted me at San Marco. It was very frustrating. Finally, we were greeted by a grumpy lady with curly hair. Wasn't helpful at all, didn't even offer a map or anything. Definitely a different experience than at Max Hotel.

Both breakfasts are good... San Marco offers more variety in tarts/pies, and juices.

Location... I thought San Marco was better located off the freeway and next to multiple gas stations. Both hotels take time to get into the Siena city center.

Anyway, as you can see, both are good/bad in different ways so its hard to say where I would recommend that you stay. If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose, I would go with Max Hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple