Hotel San Marco
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
$227
$118
$90
$90
$87
Hotel Alma Domus(Siena)(Great Value!)
$100
$97
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsfree parkingthe busadequate spacemodern roomsbreakfast ladyexcellent breakfastbasic amenitiesrecommend this hotelgreat hotelvery pleasant staywithin walking distanceold citypiazza del campocarwallstuscanyeuro
FilterAll languages
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I had the opportunity to stay in 2 different hotels in Siena because our trip had to be broken up in the middle (we had to go to the other hill towns for our hot air balloon reservation). We stayed 1 night at MAX Hotel, and the other 2 nights we stayed in San Marco Hotel. Both are equally rated and because I was torn on where to stay, I thought I'd stay in both places so I can compare and tell you which I like best... which is hard. This review will also be posted for Max Executive Hotel.

I'd say that Max Hotel is good, and San Marco is ok.

Both are modern. Rooms and beds are great at both places. Bathrooms, however, were OK, but I'd say Max Hotel was better. I recommend bringing/wearing shower slippers as the showers are a little grimey. The shower at San Marco leaked badly and the tiles were icky.

I was greeted at Max Hotel by a friendly girl who gave me a map, offered suggestions on where to eat, where to park for free to get into Siena, etc. Overall, she was very helpful. I had to wait about 10 min before someone finally greeted me at San Marco. It was very frustrating. Finally, we were greeted by a grumpy lady with curly hair. Wasn't helpful at all, didn't even offer a map or anything. Definitely a different experience than at Max Hotel.

Both breakfasts are good... San Marco offers more variety in tarts/pies, and juices.

Location... I thought San Marco was better located off the freeway and next to multiple gas stations. Both hotels take time to get into the Siena city center.

Anyway, as you can see, both are good/bad in different ways so its hard to say where I would recommend that you stay. If someone held a gun to my head and forced me to choose, I would go with Max Hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Visit the Palio in Siena the begin of August, the hotel San Marco gave us 3 nice double rooms at a good price . The modern rooms are clean and the bathrooms even those clean and comfortable. Staff very efficent and normal breakfast . Everything really ok , I would recommend

Room Tip: perfect for to visit Siena !
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 26, 2012 via mobile

We booked this hotel on the basis of Rick Steves' and Trip Advisor recommendations, and had a decent stay on the whole. However, it was not easy to find- we had taken a city bus from Piazza Gramsci (#3) and got off at Colonna San Marco, only to realise we were trapped with bags in the middle of what appeared to be nowhere, with lots of traffic swirling around us. It's great if you have a car and can just drive right up, but not if you're relying on public transport. Get a good map from the internet before coming, and cross check across different websites because google maps put 70 via massetana about 1km down the road...

Breakfast was lovely, served in a bright room, and the people working there were great. Our room was very comfortable. All in, a great place to stay only if you're driving.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank travelling4food
Reviewed February 1, 2012

We happened upon this hotel for 1 night in Siena and got the last 2 rooms for the night. This ended up being a really nice hotel. It's not big, I think 28 rooms and not centrally located near the sights in Siena, but it is clean, comfortable, and nice. The staff was very friendly and provided us a good recommendation for dinner. The rate included breakfast and it was closer to what we would consider a continental breakfast in the US, but the food was good. The eating area was fairly small but it looks like just enough tables.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed January 3, 2012

San Marco is a nice clean new hotel. As others wrote is a bit out of the town but there is very good public transportation during the day, however it stops at 22.00 and the only option is to walk or taxi (~10 euro). It is a great choice if you have to catch the early bus to Rome, the station is few hundred meters from the hotel. The staff was very helpful and polite. As we had to catch a very early bus, they prepared the full breakfast for us at 5.30

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple