“Authentic Sienese experience” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #53 of 111 Siena B&B and Inns
Lafayette, Louisiana
“Authentic Sienese experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

B & B San Francesco was a DELIGHT... providing a great location, private bath, beautiful views, with a historic ambiance.
The owner, Luigi, was very kind and generous offering us his knowledge on the history of Siena along with special assistance with parking our car. We felt welcomed and valued as customers.
We will certainly return to Siena and when we do we will stay at B & B San Francesco.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Dana M

Cagliari
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a no frills bed and breakfast, but conveniently located if you plan to visit the city.

I arrived at 7:30 pm, and the reception was closed already (they close at 6:00 pm), so I had to let myself in via a door code the manager of the b&b had emailed me. I then found the key to my room in the letter box.

San Francesco is located in the heart of Siena, in a tiny vicolo, in a "ztl" (zona traffico limitato - restricted car entrance) area. This means that cars are not allowed to circulate at certain times of day and night, and you will get good sleep. I had a nice view from my windon, but I stayed at the top floor, in Giotto, so I can't promise the view is just as nice from other windows.

There is no elevator in the building, and the stairs are somewhat steep and tight, so be sure not to carry too much lugguage or weight when you stay there.

My room (Giotto) was spacious and clean. The bed was not the most comfortable one in the world but it suits the purpose. The furniture is a bit uncared for (ie the closet has no handles). The shower in the bathroom is nice and powerful. Rooms have a fridge (but no minibar) and a tv. Mine was not working. I had no remote and even when I tried to switch it on, it would not work. The manager claimed someone had stolen the remotes when I asked. Weird thing to steal, I suppose. There is wifi connection in the common areas, but it hardly works.

The breakfast room is on the second floor, it is just a big table where guests sit, in front of other rooms on that floor. So, if you are staying on that floor and on the room in front of the breakfast table, you might hear some noise. Breakfast consists of tea, coffee, hot or cold milk, cereals, yogurt, butter, bread (which you can toast) and jam, and sweet pre-packaged pastries. This is no more, no less than what you'd find in other Italian bed and breakfasts: according to national law, they have no licence to actually cook or serve something which is homemade.

The personnel is nice. I had a chat with the manager's father during breakfast. Of course, speaking Italian helps. I am not 100% sure they do speak English but I would assume so.

My advice is to go here if you do not require anything extra.

Room Tip: If you are a light sleeper, get a room on the top floor. There is a supermarket almost right outside...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Riga, Latvia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2012

We have spent 2 wonderful days and nights in this B&B. The room was cosy and very clean. The owners were extremely kind, friendly and cute. Breakfast was good and prepared with great hospitality and smile. Luigi (the owner) has excellent English, so it was great and very pleasant to speak about this beautiful city, Italian traditions, lifestyle and history. This B&B is well located: just 2 steps to any historical beauty (must see places in Siena), just 3 steps to any good restaurant and tasty dinner, just 4 steps to car rental office (to explore Toscana), just 5 steps to the bus station to go anywhere else. If you want to feel the heart beat of Siena, you definitely should stay in San Francesco B&B! Highly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Elena A
Exeter
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with a friend. The room and bathroom were clean, beds comfortable and the location is v convenient for exploring Siena. The owners were friendly; fortunately my friend spoke Italian but I'm sure if I'd been on my own I could have been understood and understand! Breakfast was good at E2.50- muesli, fruit juice, endless coffee, ham, cheese, croissant, cake, toast and yogurt. I would recommend this B+B. Also, it was one of the more economical options of accommodation in Siena.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for a night here, and we were not impressed. We were turned off right away by the overwhelming smell of smoke. The room and bathroom were clean, but the beds were very worn down and we could feel all of the springs. It is also on a very noisy corner, so we didn't get a good night of sleep with late night people and scooters driving fast. We will unfortunately never go back.

Stayed April 2012
Jersey, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2012

It was difficult to find but luckily we bumped into Luigi, the very friendly owner, on the way so he escorted us there.
The room was basic but clean and the bathroom large and fully functional.
The breakfast was adequate - we didn't get juice, ham or cheese so bought our own.
Bedrooms are off the communal kitchen / breakfast room so rather noisy but not excessive when we were there.
Met some lovely people around the breakfast table!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

This B&B is well located for anyone wishing to explore Siena. Our room was on the first floor with a view over part of the old wall and city. The room was spacious, clean and quiet with a well appointed bathroom. Breakfast was adequate, but not inspiring. Sitting around a large table with other guests was a good way to start the morning, we all had different stories and languages. Point to note that owners speak very limited English, however this didn't cause any problems. We are very happy to recommend this to fellow travellers looking for reasonable accommodation.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple