“A Perfect Day in Tuscany - Food, Wine and great company”
Review of Ecco La Cucina

Ecco La Cucina
Ranked #13 of 26 Food & Drink in Siena
More attraction details
Owner description: We are a culinary tour company offering small group immersions into the Italian way of life, via the discovery of its amazing food, wine, culture and history. Please see our website for dates and pricing Gina no longer offers single day cooking classes in Tuscany.
Reviewed September 18, 2013

On September 9, my wife and I joined a group for a cooking class taught by Eleanor at Ecco La Cucina. It was a busy day for Ecco La Cucina as Jean was teaching a class later in the day and her associate Eleanor conducted the class. The entire experience was fabulous. It was more like a group of friends meeting to cook a meal in someone's kitchen than a class. Very hands on!
Eleanor was a delightful teacher and she communicated her love for the region and its food so well. We made and ate bread salad (don't knock it until you've tried it), fresh pasta using our hands,an Atlas pasta machine and a funky device called a chitarra. A fruit tart was made first and eaten last. The main course was local chicken that we braised with tomatoes and olives. Local wines were served with dinner.
The school is located in the Tuscan countryside - an easy drive from Siena, Florence or in our case from Montepulciano/Pienza area.
Treat yourself to a wonderful day with Jean and Eleanor at Ecco La Cucina.

1  Thank DBWiegers
ginastipo, Owner at Ecco La Cucina, responded to this reviewResponded September 19, 2013

Dave, I'm so glad that you enjoyed the cooking class! Your review certainly did justice to the food!
I strive to make the experience as authentic and fun as possible, while helping you to learn something about our beautiful Tuscany, and I'm thrilled Eleanor was able to impart that. I hope to see you in the kitchen again, it was great meeting you! Gina (or Jean if you prefer!)

All reviews
in 15 reviews
"feast"
"cheese"

Reviewed September 8, 2013

We had a lovely day at Ecco La Cucina, instructed by Eleanor.
It was a beautiful old mill in the countryside (approximately 20 minutes drive from Siena). We were just four ladies in our course, all Australian, as it happened on that day.

We made some delicious food and enjoyed the local wines. Definitely the highlight was learning the secrets to homemade fresh pasta - realising it wasn't that difficult, after all. But we also enjoyed learning a lot of the history about the area, as well as the regional differences of the Italian kitchen.

Lots of fun, would recommend to all our friends in a heartbeat. Thank you!

2  Thank Travelbrezel
ginastipo, Owner at Ecco La Cucina, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Thank you so much for your lovely review! I'm so glad that you had a good time with Eleanor and enjoyed learning to make pasta! I hope that you enjoy the cookbook and keep it up once you get back home. Best wishes and Buon Appetito! Gina

Reviewed July 9, 2013

We did this May 20th, however have only returned to Australia! I agree whole heartedly with the positive reviews previously written.

This day was a buzz for me as I had never done a cooking class previously. Gina and assistant Eleanor made the whole experience memorable. Not just the actual cooking which was hands on for our very small group, but Gina explaining to us that cooking doesn't need to be complicated but important to have the freshest of seasonal ingredients. I learnt so much about food that day.

The food we prepared as a group was certainly enjoyed by all, especially my husband Rob who had been riding for 4 hours (through a thunderstorm!) with Andrea Rossi, who owns the old mill where Gina holds her cooking classes.

If you want to experience a wonderful day in beautiful Tuscany, do not hesitate to contact Gina Stipo!

Wishing you all the very best Gina in any venture you may take on in the future! Chris and Rob

3  Thank warners1
ginastipo, Owner at Ecco La Cucina, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2013

Thanks Chris! I'm so glad you enjoyed the class, it was fun to meet you and cook together and I'm thrilled to know you feel like you learned so much! Take care and keep cooking! Gina

Reviewed June 13, 2013

We had such a great time at Gina's class!! That day the class was instructed by Eleanor.

Great food, wine, new friends, all fantastic additions to our trip to Siena and definately a highlight of our week in Italy. Had the pasta press and guitar ordered as soon as we returned home and can't wait to put our lessons to the test.

Thanks Eleanor for filling in for Gina who needed to be with family, we had a great time and will remember you every time we get the chance to make a great Tuscan feast!!

2  Thank John P

Thanks so much for the great review, I hope you really enjoy using the pasta machine, it's so worth the effort! buon appetito! Gina

See more reviews
Reviewed June 12, 2013

Our day class with Gina was such a fun experience. Me and my BF both enjoyed the class so much! first of all, we made really fantastic food. I do alot of cooking and am very comfortable in the kitchen but I learned alot in this class. I loved making the fresh pasta. then, after making 4 or 5 dishes with a small group of folks from Australia we all enjoyed the meal together with wine. this was truly the best part. Our class ran late and Gina wasn't in a hurry for it to end. We all enjoyed talking and learning with her so much. I loved her cookbook so well that I bought a couple for gifts for family back home. Can't say enough good things about this experience. Go if you can!

2  Thank suzyc555
ginastipo, Owner at Ecco La Cucina, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2013

Thank you so much, it was a really fun day! I'm so glad you enjoyed the class and I hope you'll come back to cook with us again soon! Gina