“Gina takes the chore out of cooking and turns it into a relaxing and fun experience” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ecco La Cucina

Ecco La Cucina
Ranked #40 of 141 things to do in Siena
More attraction details
Owner description: The cooking classes are held in a 900 year old stone mill, lunch is under the pergola in the garden.
Atlanta, Georgia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes

I love to cook.

I loved to cook before I went to Gina's class in Siena.

I love to cook now more than ever before.

Gina is a really really good cook. She completely understands locally sourced, fresh ingredients. She understands the traditions and culture behind "Italian" food - and in particular, Tuscan food. She is incredibly articulate in explaining these things to her "class". But more importantly, Gina is easy to be with - not at all up tight about every little thing being perfect in her kitchen. The big "take-away" I got from her class was that cooking should be a pleasure. And it is. Cooking with Gina is a genuine pleasure.

We arrived to a beautiful, historical 900 YEAR OLD MILL to cook. The place was gorgeous. Gina offered a coffee and some chat to get relaxed and ready to start. She had shopped for our class with an eye to what the freshest and best ingredients were and not so much with a rigid menu in mind. She took the time to arrange the produce on a nice platter. It was pleasing to look at and made the "chore" of prepping veggies relaxing and fun. I developed a renewed sense of appreciation and respect for excellent fresh ingredients.

We had the awesome fun of making fresh pasta. I have never tried this before because I was so worried that it had to be perfect... NOT AT ALL! In fact, messy is sometimes a good thing. It was perfectly delicious even if it wasn't perfectly symmetrical.

All of our hard work in the kitchen was rewarded by a delicious meal in the courtyard next to the mill. What a perfect day! I would say that even if you are a novice cook, Gina makes food approachable and cooking fun. This class is not to be missed!

BONUS: you get Gina's cookbook as part of the package. I have already recreated our roasted chicken dish for my husband and he LOVED it!

3 Thank LeeAndrew04

• Korean first
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“A Great Day Cooking in the Heart of Tuscany”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

This past May my sister and neices and I spent a fantastic day at Ecco La Cucina near Siena, Italy. It was about a five hour cooking class that began in the morning and ended around 3:00 pm. It was located in an old mill that was made into a kitchen for a bed and breakfast. Gina Stipo gives a hands on class that uses fresh local produce. We picked herbs in the garden to use. We ate each course outside under a shade tree.

We cooked appetizers, a main course of homemade pasta with fresh artichoke sauce and a rabbit dish. The meal ended with a strawberry crostata. Gina had a great teaching style and the dishes were easy to make. She paired wines with each course and gave many helpful hints on cooking in general. We all helped with each course so there was lots of hands on cooking, fun, talk and siipping wine.

The website is www.eccolacucina.com. In a review of our ten days in Italy, several of us listed this as the highlight of our trip. It is located near Orgio, about 20 minutes from Siena. Louise

2 Thank LouiseSk
Washington DC, District of Columbia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Intimate and delicious Italian cooking experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 2, 2011

My mother and I traveled together through Italy--mostly Tuscany--a few weeks ago. We spent the better part of one day with Gina making a delicious and fresh authtentically Tuscan spring menu. It ended up being just the two of us, which made it an even more fantastic and personalized experience. Everything we learned to make was delicious and the entire experience was completely hands-on. I can't wait to try my first solo batch of fresh pasta! The setting was wonderful, as well. I highly recommend a visit to Ecco la Cocina to anyone looking for a hands-on, personal, and educational cooking experience in Tuscany!

2 Thank albdc82
Boston, Massachusetts
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Excellent Cooking Class in Tuscany”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2007

My mother and I had a wonderful experience with Gina - Ecco la Cucina. We did a one day cooking class. The class was very small - only 2 other people for 4 hours - but we were there for most of the day. We made some delish dishes out of her kitchen in an old mill house located about 15 minutes from Siena. We made a lovely appetizer (fried sage leaves), quail brazed with grapes, homemade ravioli and an amazing chocolate dessert. Truly a learning experience. It was so much fun. Gina is easy going, friendly and professional. We had an absolutely wonderful afternoon - AND not to mention got to eat everything we made. YUM!
[--]