Borgo Grondaie
Villa Scacciapensieri(Siena)(Great Value!)
$153
$146
$170
Hotel Alma Domus(Siena)(Great Value!)
$86
$452
$326
Priceline
  • Restaurant
All reviewscoop supermarkettrain stationlarge supermarketapartment was spaciousself cateringlaundry facilitiesswimming pooltuscan villaminute walkold towncab ridelovely poolrented a cartuscany regioncakestown centreexploring siena
Reviewed May 23, 2011

This is a great hotel just outside the Siena walls. There's a mix of rooms and apartments - the apartments being particularly attractive for my family where we could cook some of our own meals for our 2 year old son. There's a full on hypermarket (Coop) 5min walk up the street to stock up on food and drink too. The hotel is situated on large grounds which our son could run around in without getting into too much trouble. Whilst not great if you just planned to stop over in Siena for a day or 2, it was a great place from which to reach the other destinations of Tunscany (Radda, Castelina, San Gimignano, Pienza, Montalcino, Montepulciano) by car.

The two ladies running the hotel provided us with excellent service, and helped answer all of our questions - from restaurant recommendations, sight seeing, tours, etc. If i wanted a base from which to explore Tuscany again, I'd stay here without hesitation.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 20, 2011

Very nice B&B in a great location. Once you find this establishment you will be pleasantly surprised. I was originally concerned about the train station being so close but found that fear to be unfounded. I don't believe I ever heard a train. If you were traveling by train this hotel would be great as it is just a short distance away.
The grounds are phenominal. Purchase yourself a bottle of wine and snacks then enjoy an evening at one of the many great locations to enjoy the outdoors.
If you need to get into Siena it is a healthy walk or a daring taxi ride away. We chose to take a taxi. Wow! It was the best adventure of the entire trip.
One drawback to the hotel is the lack of eateries within easy walking distance. When I go back I am going to plan a picnic on the grounds. Then take a taxi to enjoy Siena in the evening.
If you normally sleep on a forgiving matress you may find those at the Borgo a bit challening. Ours was like sleeping on a board. Some like this, we did not.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the grounds
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 8, 2011

Part of the charm of Borgo Grondaie is that it is away from the hurly burly of Siena city itself. The fact that it is hard to find makes it even more attractive - it keeps the people who drive me insane away from my well earned rest! Very few people glued to their BlackBerries and talking with loud voices - bliss! No business centre; no fitness centre - even better. And i couldn't have cared less if they'd had wireless internet or not - we were on holiday! The staff could not have been more helpful and the food was delicious. A recommendation to those who hate crowds!

Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2011

We stayed in the apartment Olivetta 3 at the end of March and loved it. For the money, the quality of the space was astonishing! It had a small bedroom with a beautiful balcony and another bed up in a loft space. There was also a fairly spacious kitchen/seating area. Everything was super clean. They didn't promise wireless Internet but I was able to pick up the hotel's connection with no problem from the bedroom with the balcony. The breakfast (which we paid a little extra for because we were in an apartment) was outstanding, and the attendant was extremely kind and accommodating. Perhaps the nicest thing of all, however, were the beautiful grounds--I heard so many birds singing and there were many places to sit and enjoy outside even if your room doesn't have a balcony.

My one caution would be that it is tricky to find: We followed directions given by other reviewers here and they helped a lot. And you definitely need a car. But, for us, it was definitely worth the search.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed March 31, 2011

My husband and I spent two nights at this hotel and were very pleased. We chose room 107 and it was quite large and spotlessly clean. The bathroom was a pretty good size by European standards. The hotel provides breakfast in the price of the room, and it was the best we found through our entire stay in Italy.

You would not want to stay here unless you had your own car, as the drive to get to the city walls is about 5 minutes through busy traffic. There weren't any restaurants to speak of in the nearby area, so we did our eating within the city walls (see my review for Trattoria La Torre). However, there is a huge supermarket very close to the hotel where you could pick up most anything you need.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple