“The most interesting and beautiful Italian Enoteca I've ever seen!” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Enoteca Italiana

Enoteca Italiana
Ranked #45 of 141 things to do in Siena
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique in the world, born in 1933, the Enoteca Italiana is waiting for you in the amazing seat of Medicean Fortress. The Enoteca promotes italian wines all over the world, with a cellar and a showroom with more than 1600 excellent wines from all over Italy. Winebar for wine tasting, wine selling and happy hours, restaurant, wine school and events planning are only some of Enoteca Italiana's activities.
Siena, Italy
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The most interesting and beautiful Italian Enoteca I've ever seen!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014

I really loved the Enoteca because it has the wines that are magnificent!!! Some of them are very famous in Italy and even very good! One of my favorite places in Italy is the Enoteca because you can even stay outside when there's sunshine and it's not to cold. The Enoteca is inside the Fortezza medicea. The only negative thing that is about Enoteca is the parking place because it's full of cars. If you want you can have a party in the Enoteca on special occasions for example in Summer because you can have a dinner with music.
SR Grade 4

Visited March 2014

Toronto, Canada
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great on paper.... Ruined by service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Traveling around Tuscany in January may not be a great idea as most wineries are closed. The sights and restos are still worldclass... But we wished to get more breadth of the wines of the region so we came here.

Coming here on a friday... It was dead silent like a bad restaurant in Tuscany... Nonetheless we walked in to a weird convention hall like atmosphere. We interrupted an old guy talking to another person....this was probably where it all goes downhill.

We ask for a tasting and was reminded that with 1600 vintages it is difficult to provide tastings of all. A selection (by price... Hmmmm) is available by the glass. Sure. We tasted... Sipped and enjoyed the wines but was not offered any water or menus to snack on. He did come back and brought us two napkins and a bowl of salty chips. Yay.

The non chalant and arrogant service plus the strange ambience makes this a horrible place to spend any time. I'm sure some people may get a good experience out of this, but not for a young couple not looking to buy a case of old vintages to ship back to their own chalet.

1 Thank A L
Bozeman, Montana
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Pleasant wine and antipasti experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I stopped at Enoteca Italiana to try some wines and antipasti. We were there on a Thursday afternoon at about 1:00 pm and it was uncrowded. They had six or eight red wines available by the glass. Over the next hour we tried three of them and liked them all.

We sat out on their patio area located just outside the wine bar but within the walls of the fortress. This was a very nice setting with greenery set against the red brick walls of the old fortress.

The service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The prices were a little higher than some of the enotecas closer to the center of Siena, but in my view, the small premium was appropriate to the quieter, more elegant setting of Enoteca Italiana.

I have noted that several TA reviewers have had a disappointing experience at Enoteca Italian. In contrast, our experience was quite pleasant an I look forward to going back in the future.

Visited October 2013
Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Enoteca Italiana was the worst experience in all of Italy.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was so looking forward to spending the afternoon here after we first arrived here in Siena. The reviews on trip advisor were astoundingly wonderful, except for the 8 that rated it, 1 star....
Turns out, the experience we had was 1 star at best, but really 0 stars in reality.

Sadly, (and this is the FIRST time in all my dining/tasting experiences, where I have given this type of review) simply put, Enoteca Italiana was the worst experience my husband and I have ever had. The customers who poorly rated this winery, who went as a small 1-2 person party without a group, couldn't have been more accurate about the experience you WILL receive at this "wine shop", should you choose to go here alone, or with just one other person. I've been to over 30 prestigious different wineries in Napa, California, and the service in comparison was so dreadful that I feel in my personal experience Enoteca Italiana is a disgrace to the global wine community. Yes, they may feel that just "carrying 1,600 bottles of Italian wine" makes them impressive, but after smug, disrespectful service, it wouldn't matter if they carried 5,000 different vintages. I was rudely interrupted in mid sentence by the waiter behind the bar. He pointed to the 6 bottles of wine that were for tasting, and left it at that. No explanations, no knowledge, no sincerity. We purchased two random glasses and ordered the cheese and salami tray. He brought it around the corner and told us " I cannot serve you here". We had to assume we weren't allowed to eat at the bar, and choose to sit out on the terrace. He set the tray down and left. The cheese and meat were delicious, but I was heartbroken and so let down. My husband and I had only been in Siena for 1 hour, and both of us were extremely let down after a 35 minute walk to come especially here. Afterward we went to the cellar, where just as a few others mentioned, no one was there to assist, no pricing, and no description. We decided to take a photo of the ones we wanted. We were so disappointed by that point I just choose some Prosecco and went to the bar to purchase. We were told there was ONLY two bottles of prosecco in the ENTIRE store. "1600 bottles of wine", yet only 2 bottles of the SAME Prosecco for purchase??!! We left without buying anything. I realize this rating is extremely long, and the main reason it's so elaborate is for the purpose of the manager seeing once again, for the 9th time in a row on trip advisor, and Lord only knows how many others that didnt waste their time on rating it online, that Enoteca Italian is a joke, and shame for couples, or singles who are looking for a wine EXPERIENCE, not just someone who points to 6 different bottles of red wine.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Abriel K
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Go for the cellar, skip the tasting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

This place is listed in TripAdvisor as an attraction, but it has a wine tasting area, a restaurant, and an enormous cellar. The good news is that if you are a wine lover/collector, you will fall in love with their underground cellar. It showcases nearly every wine made in Italy, separated into regions. The cellar itself is beautiful, with brick arches and some Etruscan artifacts. I was saying "wow" at every room and no words could describe how large this cellar really is. Five stars.

Now the bad news. You figure a place like this would have the largest and most diverse wine tasting bar. This couldn't be further from the truth. We arrived midday and there was only one enoteca-style machine with six wines. This is shocking as many of the other wine bars in Italy have several of these machines where you control the quantity of wine you want poured. The wines offered here were average, perhaps suspecting that tourists would not have discriminating palates. The cold cuts and cheeses were very good, but the service was poor and came with an attitude. 2 stars.

Overall, pass by to see the cellars for about 10-15 minutes, then move on to the city center. Don't bother with the tasting. I cannot comment on the restaurant as we did not try it.

Visited May 2013