“Pleasant wine and antipasti experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Enoteca Italiana

Enoteca Italiana
Ranked #44 of 143 things to do in Siena
More attraction details
Owner description: Unique in the world, born in 1933, the Enoteca Italiana is waiting for you in the amazing seat of Medicean Fortress. The Enoteca promotes italian wines all over the world, with a cellar and a showroom with more than 1600 excellent wines from all over Italy. Winebar for wine tasting, wine selling and happy hours, restaurant, wine school and events planning are only some of Enoteca Italiana's activities.
Bozeman, Montana
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 146 helpful votes
“Pleasant wine and antipasti experience”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

My wife and I stopped at Enoteca Italiana to try some wines and antipasti. We were there on a Thursday afternoon at about 1:00 pm and it was uncrowded. They had six or eight red wines available by the glass. Over the next hour we tried three of them and liked them all.

We sat out on their patio area located just outside the wine bar but within the walls of the fortress. This was a very nice setting with greenery set against the red brick walls of the old fortress.

The service was friendly and attentive without being intrusive. The prices were a little higher than some of the enotecas closer to the center of Siena, but in my view, the small premium was appropriate to the quieter, more elegant setting of Enoteca Italiana.

I have noted that several TA reviewers have had a disappointing experience at Enoteca Italian. In contrast, our experience was quite pleasant an I look forward to going back in the future.

Visited October 2013

Raleigh, North Carolina, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Enoteca Italiana was the worst experience in all of Italy.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2013

I was so looking forward to spending the afternoon here after we first arrived here in Siena. The reviews on trip advisor were astoundingly wonderful, except for the 8 that rated it, 1 star....
Turns out, the experience we had was 1 star at best, but really 0 stars in reality.

Sadly, (and this is the FIRST time in all my dining/tasting experiences, where I have given this type of review) simply put, Enoteca Italiana was the worst experience my husband and I have ever had. The customers who poorly rated this winery, who went as a small 1-2 person party without a group, couldn't have been more accurate about the experience you WILL receive at this "wine shop", should you choose to go here alone, or with just one other person. I've been to over 30 prestigious different wineries in Napa, California, and the service in comparison was so dreadful that I feel in my personal experience Enoteca Italiana is a disgrace to the global wine community. Yes, they may feel that just "carrying 1,600 bottles of Italian wine" makes them impressive, but after smug, disrespectful service, it wouldn't matter if they carried 5,000 different vintages. I was rudely interrupted in mid sentence by the waiter behind the bar. He pointed to the 6 bottles of wine that were for tasting, and left it at that. No explanations, no knowledge, no sincerity. We purchased two random glasses and ordered the cheese and salami tray. He brought it around the corner and told us " I cannot serve you here". We had to assume we weren't allowed to eat at the bar, and choose to sit out on the terrace. He set the tray down and left. The cheese and meat were delicious, but I was heartbroken and so let down. My husband and I had only been in Siena for 1 hour, and both of us were extremely let down after a 35 minute walk to come especially here. Afterward we went to the cellar, where just as a few others mentioned, no one was there to assist, no pricing, and no description. We decided to take a photo of the ones we wanted. We were so disappointed by that point I just choose some Prosecco and went to the bar to purchase. We were told there was ONLY two bottles of prosecco in the ENTIRE store. "1600 bottles of wine", yet only 2 bottles of the SAME Prosecco for purchase??!! We left without buying anything. I realize this rating is extremely long, and the main reason it's so elaborate is for the purpose of the manager seeing once again, for the 9th time in a row on trip advisor, and Lord only knows how many others that didnt waste their time on rating it online, that Enoteca Italian is a joke, and shame for couples, or singles who are looking for a wine EXPERIENCE, not just someone who points to 6 different bottles of red wine.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Abriel K
Miami, Florida
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Go for the cellar, skip the tasting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

This place is listed in TripAdvisor as an attraction, but it has a wine tasting area, a restaurant, and an enormous cellar. The good news is that if you are a wine lover/collector, you will fall in love with their underground cellar. It showcases nearly every wine made in Italy, separated into regions. The cellar itself is beautiful, with brick arches and some Etruscan artifacts. I was saying "wow" at every room and no words could describe how large this cellar really is. Five stars.

Now the bad news. You figure a place like this would have the largest and most diverse wine tasting bar. This couldn't be further from the truth. We arrived midday and there was only one enoteca-style machine with six wines. This is shocking as many of the other wine bars in Italy have several of these machines where you control the quantity of wine you want poured. The wines offered here were average, perhaps suspecting that tourists would not have discriminating palates. The cold cuts and cheeses were very good, but the service was poor and came with an attitude. 2 stars.

Overall, pass by to see the cellars for about 10-15 minutes, then move on to the city center. Don't bother with the tasting. I cannot comment on the restaurant as we did not try it.

Visited May 2013
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“beautiful”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2013

inside the Fortezza, an amazing collection of local and international wines. fair prices and breathtaking architecture to delight a glass of this Gods' drink.

Visited March 2013
como
51 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“stunning”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

Just got back from a short stay in Tuscany during which I had the privilege to be invited to dine at L'enoteca Italiana that is a restaurant -wine bar inside the old fortress of the town .
I mean the place is simply stunning, inside the vaulted brick walls are immediately taking you into past times, perfectly conserved , amazingly charming
If then as it happend you have the chance to eat outside on their terrace when there is a acoustic guitar jazz musician playing then the intense deep blue sky of this magical town is closer to your fingers . A place like that is making me proud to be Italian , it is sensational for me used to my magnificent country, I cannot imagine how this would make a foreigner feeling

Great food, I had a menu fixed fish based selection , quite evocative in style and innovation

Wine selection to your personal taste, you have 100's of wines to choose from or you have competent staff to ask to . Service attentive and not intrusive .

The combination of charme, history,location , service, food and selection make it definitely an option to be strongly considered when visiting this gem of town , in the night simply out of this world
Huge parking space nearby . Viva L'Italia