“Probably the best hotel we have stayed in Italy!”
Review of Hotel Athena

Hotel Athena
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Siena
GreenLeadersSilver level
Worminghall, United Kingdom
“Probably the best hotel we have stayed in Italy!”
Reviewed June 17, 2014

This hotel is fabulous. We stayed for 3 nights and everything was excellent. Sipping Prosecco at the terrace bar with its views over the Tuscan countryside is a memory that will stay with me for years to come!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
HotelAthenaSiena, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Athena, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Sheila,

All our staff is really proud for the job done and we want to share with you our happiness to realize that we took part in the building of you beautiful holiday and that you are back home with a really good memory of us.

The best result for us is make the stay of our guests as pleasant as possible. It is so satisfactory to read that we helped you to enjoy Siena much more thanks to our suggestions and recommendations . That’s great!

Best regards

Ronny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Clean and comfortable rooms, friendly and helpful staff, convenient location, great restaurant and bar. It is worth the expense to upgrade to a deluxe room with a view. The terrace bar has one of the best views in Siena.

Room Tip: Stay above the 6th floor for the best view.
1 Thank Rob N
HotelAthenaSiena, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Athena, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Rob,

Thank you! Your words are awesome! Thank you very much for your time to write this wonderful review!

We’re so happy to see that you appreciated the gorgeous view from our panioramic terrace.

For your next reservation be sure to get the best deal booking through our website where you can find some special offers.

Best Regards

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Stayed in this hotel with 9 other Australians. The rooms were most comfortable as was the hotel. The staff were very welcoming especially Christian our barman, waiter & pizza maker. We really enjoyed our stay, found the hotel very easy to find, it was an easy walk to the centre and has excellent free parking.

Dear Marilynan,

wow, great shot!

Thank you very very much for this beautiful review. Christian, our bar tender, blushed reading your words….! We’re so happy and very proud for the job done and we’re so glad to see that you really enjoyed our free parking lot and garage, a real plus! Thank you!

For you next European escape check our website and book one of our special deal designed for every needs.

Oconomowoc
Reviewed June 14, 2014

Just returned from an extended stay in Italy, and loved this hotel. The staff were outstanding, as were the rooms, food (complimentary breakfast which was very good), and outdoor terrace. Couldn't ask for a better location - close to everything you will want to experience in Siena!

Room Tip: Ask for a 7th floor room for quick and easy access to the wonderful terrace!
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear RoPo2013,

The best result for us is make the stay of our guests as pleasant as possible. It is so satisfactory to read that we're one of the best. That’s great!

Let me send you our sincerely thank you once again and we’re waiting to host you soon again. Don't remember to follow us on twitter. #AthenaSiena

Best regards

Mount Sinai
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Athena for 5 nights in May of 2014 and we cannot say enough about the wonderful staff. They helped us with planning our activities for the day as well as restaurants for dinner. They helped us within the walls of Siena as well as the other hilltop towns we wanted to visit. All of their suggestions were top notch. Our room had a beautiful view of the Tuscan hillside complete with vineyards and olive trees. The breakfast service was more than adequate and there was a lovely outsider terrace to enjoy a drink at the end of the day or a gelato. My only criticism of the hotel was that the bathroom could have used some extra storage shelves. Other than that I would highly recommend the Hotel Athena to anyone visiting Siena.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear Marilyn,

Reading your words give us the strength to look forward and give us the desire to improve our services more and more.

All the staff is really satisfied for the job done and to read your review confirm us that to choose Hotel Athena is a choice of quality, convenience and customer satisfaction. All our work is focused on it!

We are delighted to see that you enjoy the beauty of our rooms which are spacious, clean and really comfortable
From all the people’s staff you knew in the days you were here I send you our big thank you and the hope to see you soon again in Siena for the second part of your trip. In that case we will be honored to take part in the construction of your holiday, by our side we will guarantee you the best service as ever.

Kindest regards

Roslyn, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Rated a 4 star hotel and definitely worth the rating. Great local very close to the main attractions in Siena. The staff at this hotel was one of the best I have had in my many trips to Europe, The room is small, but what you expect in Europe. Breakfast is typical of what you receive in Italy with a few extras, like fantastic scrambled eggs and bacon. Ate in the restaurant one night and the food and service were outstanding. They have a lovely open air patio where we enjoyed a drink in the afternoon. May never return to Siena, but if we do, this would certainly be the hotel we would check into.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelAthenaSiena, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Athena, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear GrandPaRu,

This is one of the most beautiful review we’ve never had! Thank you from all of us from the clerks to the kitchen staff.

Thank you twice to point out the quality of our dinner meal, that during the summer time is served on the 7th floor patio. An amazing experience.

Just let me give you my recommendation: give a second time trip to Siena, she deserves a second visit!

Hoping to read you on facebook

Best Regards

Glencoe, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Athena for 5 nights in May and realized I had discovered a lovely Siena gem, away from the throngs and over-priced hotels. Considering my flurry of emails back & forth to the staff about sundry details, I thought they would all be sick of me even before I arrived. On the contrary, the front desk went out of their way to assist this weary traveler who stumbled into the hotel after several harried train rides from Rome. The hotel and room I chose, after researching/reading dozens of travel website reviews, turned out to be perfect - with a footnote about noise from the carpark below. They situated me on the 7th floor facing the storybook Tuscan countryside, which captures your attention & fuels your desire to pop open the hotel's complimentary bottle of red wine, prop up your feet, feast your eyes and drink it all up.

I specifically requested the executive upgrade, so the room was quite comfortable, with a large King bed, couch, desk, generous closet and storage space. Note that there is no AC until late May, I believe, so you'll want to open the windows to cool off your room on the warmer May days. No screens on the windows opens the way for small winged intruders and, of course, street or carpark noise. The bathroom, with the usual bidet, toilet & large vanity, also offered a lovely bathtub for the long soaks I needed after walking everywhere solo and with my son, who is studying in Siena. I would have welcomed a few extra drawers for toiletries storage. And, as per my 4 other Italian hotels, the hair dryer was a dismal appliance that operated more like a window fan set to "hurricane" mode. Not exactly for fine hair-styling...

All that aside, the building itself offers lovely nooks and crannies for reading, drinking wine, enjoying snacks, etc. Not to be missed is the 7th-floor terrace with its spectacular views, sun or shade, depending on your preference, and food/espresso/wine service with a phone call to the front desk. You can also find the same prompt attention to guests' espresso/beverage needs at the bar a few steps off the lobby and living room.

And when it comes to service, the Hotel Athena staff bent over backwards to assist me. I needed an iron and board one night to prepare some travel-weary togs for a dinner out, and they brought it promptly to my room. When I suggested I might need it a few days hence, the front desk said to just "keep it" in my room for the remainder of my stay. Wonderful! Another day, after much walking and touring Montalcino, I needed to ice my knee. After a small communication glitsch with another staffer who forgot to bring the bag to my room, the front desk clerk brought it to me personally. Advantage: Hotel Athena.

And despite a few reviewers' gripes about the breakfast bar, I found that Hotel Athena offered plentiful options for every appetite and food requirement. Even the most discriminating coffee drinkers will find the hotel's staff knows how to draw a perfect espresso drink.

Bravo Hotel Athena. I loved my stay.

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms facing the countryside have a gorgeous view... but many are situated above the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
HotelAthenaSiena, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Athena, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear mcdeux,

Wow, wow, wow…..you haven’t left me space to say a thing!
You literally explained everything in the best way you could…..thank you so much, and thank you twice for make know the people the quality of our services…..thanks!

Basically all the executive rooms are around 25 sq.m. with a large double bed, sofa and ample working desk, the view usually is not included but is available by paying an extra fee, depending on availability of course.

Madam, I really don’t know what to say more than this, you did all the job. So I invite you to come back sooner than possible and to follow us on twitter and facebook where you can even book directly your next stay.

Warmest Regards