“What a delightful experience!!!”
Review of Hotel Athena

Hotel Athena
Ranked #6 of 40 Hotels in Siena
GreenLeadersSilver level
Mount Sinai
“What a delightful experience!!!”
Reviewed June 13, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Hotel Athena for 5 nights in May of 2014 and we cannot say enough about the wonderful staff. They helped us with planning our activities for the day as well as restaurants for dinner. They helped us within the walls of Siena as well as the other hilltop towns we wanted to visit. All of their suggestions were top notch. Our room had a beautiful view of the Tuscan hillside complete with vineyards and olive trees. The breakfast service was more than adequate and there was a lovely outsider terrace to enjoy a drink at the end of the day or a gelato. My only criticism of the hotel was that the bathroom could have used some extra storage shelves. Other than that I would highly recommend the Hotel Athena to anyone visiting Siena.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelAthenaSiena, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Athena, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Marilyn,

Reading your words give us the strength to look forward and give us the desire to improve our services more and more.

All the staff is really satisfied for the job done and to read your review confirm us that to choose Hotel Athena is a choice of quality, convenience and customer satisfaction. All our work is focused on it!

We are delighted to see that you enjoy the beauty of our rooms which are spacious, clean and really comfortable
From all the people’s staff you knew in the days you were here I send you our big thank you and the hope to see you soon again in Siena for the second part of your trip. In that case we will be honored to take part in the construction of your holiday, by our side we will guarantee you the best service as ever.

Kindest regards

Ronny

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (412)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Roslyn, New York
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Rated a 4 star hotel and definitely worth the rating. Great local very close to the main attractions in Siena. The staff at this hotel was one of the best I have had in my many trips to Europe, The room is small, but what you expect in Europe. Breakfast is typical of what you receive in Italy with a few extras, like fantastic scrambled eggs and bacon. Ate in the restaurant one night and the food and service were outstanding. They have a lovely open air patio where we enjoyed a drink in the afternoon. May never return to Siena, but if we do, this would certainly be the hotel we would check into.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelAthenaSiena, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Athena, responded to this review, June 14, 2014
Dear GrandPaRu,

This is one of the most beautiful review we’ve never had! Thank you from all of us from the clerks to the kitchen staff.

Thank you twice to point out the quality of our dinner meal, that during the summer time is served on the 7th floor patio. An amazing experience.

Just let me give you my recommendation: give a second time trip to Siena, she deserves a second visit!

Hoping to read you on facebook

Best Regards

Glencoe, Illinois
Reviewed June 12, 2014

I stayed at Hotel Athena for 5 nights in May and realized I had discovered a lovely Siena gem, away from the throngs and over-priced hotels. Considering my flurry of emails back & forth to the staff about sundry details, I thought they would all be sick of me even before I arrived. On the contrary, the front desk went out of their way to assist this weary traveler who stumbled into the hotel after several harried train rides from Rome. The hotel and room I chose, after researching/reading dozens of travel website reviews, turned out to be perfect - with a footnote about noise from the carpark below. They situated me on the 7th floor facing the storybook Tuscan countryside, which captures your attention & fuels your desire to pop open the hotel's complimentary bottle of red wine, prop up your feet, feast your eyes and drink it all up.

I specifically requested the executive upgrade, so the room was quite comfortable, with a large King bed, couch, desk, generous closet and storage space. Note that there is no AC until late May, I believe, so you'll want to open the windows to cool off your room on the warmer May days. No screens on the windows opens the way for small winged intruders and, of course, street or carpark noise. The bathroom, with the usual bidet, toilet & large vanity, also offered a lovely bathtub for the long soaks I needed after walking everywhere solo and with my son, who is studying in Siena. I would have welcomed a few extra drawers for toiletries storage. And, as per my 4 other Italian hotels, the hair dryer was a dismal appliance that operated more like a window fan set to "hurricane" mode. Not exactly for fine hair-styling...

All that aside, the building itself offers lovely nooks and crannies for reading, drinking wine, enjoying snacks, etc. Not to be missed is the 7th-floor terrace with its spectacular views, sun or shade, depending on your preference, and food/espresso/wine service with a phone call to the front desk. You can also find the same prompt attention to guests' espresso/beverage needs at the bar a few steps off the lobby and living room.

And when it comes to service, the Hotel Athena staff bent over backwards to assist me. I needed an iron and board one night to prepare some travel-weary togs for a dinner out, and they brought it promptly to my room. When I suggested I might need it a few days hence, the front desk said to just "keep it" in my room for the remainder of my stay. Wonderful! Another day, after much walking and touring Montalcino, I needed to ice my knee. After a small communication glitsch with another staffer who forgot to bring the bag to my room, the front desk clerk brought it to me personally. Advantage: Hotel Athena.

And despite a few reviewers' gripes about the breakfast bar, I found that Hotel Athena offered plentiful options for every appetite and food requirement. Even the most discriminating coffee drinkers will find the hotel's staff knows how to draw a perfect espresso drink.

Bravo Hotel Athena. I loved my stay.

Room Tip: Even-numbered rooms facing the countryside have a gorgeous view... but many are situated above the...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled solo
HotelAthenaSiena, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Athena, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
Dear mcdeux,

Wow, wow, wow…..you haven’t left me space to say a thing!
You literally explained everything in the best way you could…..thank you so much, and thank you twice for make know the people the quality of our services…..thanks!

Basically all the executive rooms are around 25 sq.m. with a large double bed, sofa and ample working desk, the view usually is not included but is available by paying an extra fee, depending on availability of course.

Madam, I really don’t know what to say more than this, you did all the job. So I invite you to come back sooner than possible and to follow us on twitter and facebook where you can even book directly your next stay.

Warmest Regards

Millersville, Maryland, USA
Reviewed June 12, 2014 via mobile

I come to Hotel Athena each year with my students and colleagues. We always receive exceptional service and attention from the professional staff. Our rooms are clean, comfortable, and well equipped. The breakfast is copious as well. I have not eaten dinner at the hotel, but some of my colleagues have, and their praise was consistent with my views. As I said, I've been coming back for 12 years, and I see no reason to go anywhere else in Siena.

Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear RAHeadmas,

Let us send you our big thank you for your review and for the time you spent talking about your experience with us. All the comments are very important for us because they give us the opportunity to improve our services.

Thank you to every single element of your beautiful group of people, you had been son kind as you are every year.

We’re looking forward to see you soon at our hotel in 2015 and for any questions just like us on facebook and contact us directly.

Geneseo, Illinois
Reviewed June 10, 2014

This was a lovely hotel, with a terrace atop the hotel with a beautiful view. Our bedroom was a little small, and the bathroom smaller. Parking was free, which was nice but some days it looked like all the cars were stuffed in and you didn't know how you were going to get out. The staff was very nice and knowledge and spoke English well. The breakfast was eggs, bacon, cereal and pasteries were all good. The price was reasonable, and we were within walking distance to the heart of town. Would recommend.

Room Tip: ask for a top floor and don't be afraid to ask for help getting your car out of the parking area...
1 Thank Debbie W
HotelAthenaSiena, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Athena, responded to this review, June 11, 2014
Dear Debbie,

We appreciate that you have been delighted by our fresh and typical breakfast buffet, in fact our Chef and all the kitchen's staff is always on duty to give every day a different taste to offer to the guests.

We’re looking forward to see you soon at our hotel and for your next stay with us I recommend you to check our website where you can find many special offers and big deals designed for every needs.
Follow us on twitter #AthenaSiena

Reviewed June 8, 2014 via mobile

Lovely hotel in fabulous setting. Pleasant, enthusiastic and knowledgeable staff who went the extra mile to make our stay enjoyable and free from any issues. Rooms comfortable, breakfast good selection served professionally. Terrace bar enthusiastically and professionally tended. Loved this place. Will be here again

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelAthenaSiena, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Athena, responded to this review, June 10, 2014
Dear BobbyGor,

We appreciate that you have been delighted by our fresh and typical breakfast buffet and entertained by our professional staff.

Horsham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Spacious and gracious environment. Sparklingly clean and comfortable.The staff could not have been more helpful and friendly, Free parking which is necessary in Siena if you have a car as parking charges can be high. The roof terrace is a lovely way to wind down with a Prosecco in hand before dinner.On arrival there were 2 complimentary bottles of water and a bottle of chianti with biscotti on the desk and a chocolate on the pillow. Breakfast was a treat with a hot option of bacon, scrambled eggs and cheese and ham flan alongside 3 different sorts of croissants, etc.
We felt very pampered.

Room Tip: Our room was economy, on the brochure it stated that there was no view, but being on floor 5 we over...
1 Thank Marilyn W
Dear Marilyn,

Well well well…..now I’m really in trouble. I don’t know what to say, let me tell you just that this is what we are working for!

We work hard to give an experience to our guests not just a good treatment, we want to be a good memory and we would like to see the people come back again to our hotel, to become friend of them. Well, I think we did it so with you.

I’m not going to point out anything, you did a great job instead of me and from all of us a huge hug from Siena. Follow us on twitter #AthenaSiena

See you soon