“Paradise on earth”

Villa Scacciapensieri
Ranked #14 of 40 Hotels in Siena
Reviewed August 1, 2014

What a wonderful place! Lovely historic villa surrounded by gardens (Grace Kelly and Price Reinier were among its famous guests). Here you can enjoy great food and serene atmoshere. (special thanks to waiter Andrea who's been working for villa Scacciapensieri for 22 years and knows a lot about good food and wine). Me and my friend stayed in the suite for 5 days and enjoyed every minute of it. This is a place for people who love small luxury hotels/ discreet luxury. For those who appreciate "la dolce vita".

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anja1818
There are newer reviews for Villa Scacciapensieri

Reviewed July 18, 2014

We stayed here in mid June for five days after stumbling across it and staying for two nights about fifteen years ago. It was just as terrific 15 years later. The rooms are spacious and nicely decorated. Everything is clean and tidy. The wifi worked well. Breakfast was great. The main part of the hotel is a big old house and there are two additions which are only a few metres away from the main house.

All the rooms had good bathrooms.
Here are some summaries:
Room 53 in limonaia. Bedroom, lounge room, Plus lovely bathroom with spa. Lounge can be sofa bed. Nice views. Door plus little balcony with table and chairs. Two other windows. On a corner so has views over countryside and garden. Curtain between the bedroom and lounge room.

Room 52 in limonaia. quad room. Double bed and sofa bed. In two open rooms. Two windows. View of garden. No curtain between bedroom and lounge room.

Room 30 in main house. Double room plus bathroom. Good size bathroom. Corner room one floor up with nice views of garden one side and countryside the other side. Can be connecting with room 29.

Room 29 in main house. Double room plus sofa etc in the bedroom. One floor up. Good big bathroom. Bedroom bigger than room 30. Opens with two lots of windows with view of countryside. Can be connecting with room 30.

The restaurant is also lovely and the food is great. We actually ate there a few times because we were jet lagged, it was lovely to sit in their outside courtyard and the food was very good.

There's a local bus which stops outside the hotel and which goes into Siena about every fifteen minutes. It takes about ten minutes on the bus and you can buy the tickets from the hotel reception for about E1 I think. It's all very easy.

There are also lots of terrific places to visit if you have a car and want to do some day trips.

The pool is a very good size and was very clean. Lots of chairs and lounges around the pool for guests and there is waiter service around the pool and around the beautiful gardens which surround the hotel.

The staff were very helpful and very nice.

All in all - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to anyone and I'd go back again tomorrow if I could.

Room Tip: Room 53 in limonaia. Bedroom, lounge room, Plus lovely bathroom with spa. Lounge can be sofa bed. Ni...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank BWtraveller16
Reviewed July 8, 2014

Having just returned from a wonderful week's stay here, I would definitely recommend the Villa for anybody who wants to visit Siena. Being here at Palio time meant that the town centre was very busy - great fun, but it was lovely to escape the crowds and see some greenery.
I travelled here with my mum and like a previous reviewer, thought this was the perfect place for such a trip. The room we had (no 31 in the main building) was a large twin, with two shuttered windows overlooking the beautiful gardens. Waking on Sunday morning to the sounds of church bells and birdsong was particularly lovely.
Spending a whole week here meant that we could enjoy a few days just relaxing by the pool, interspersed with trips to Montalcino (for wine-tasting) Siena itself (for the Palio build-up) and San Gimignano (very VERY crowded!)
Buses were regular and cheap, so we used these some of the time and taxis if it was late or we were tired.
I would like to add my thanks to Andreas and the other staff in the restaurant, and a particular word of thanks to the chef - the food is gorgeous and, I thought, reasonably priced (taking into consideration the quality and the area you are in.)
I particularly enjoyed my refreshing dips in the pool and snoozing on a sun-lounger after lunch, as well as sitting on the terrace with a chilled glass of Prosecco watching the sun go down.
I would definitely return.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank DW67
Reviewed July 6, 2014

I loved the ambience and feel of this hotel…real old style glamour with beautiful touches. I loved the outdoor gardens, seating areas, pool and outdoor space. We had an annexe room which was very cramped and very hot (the bedroom is upstairs) with nowhere for luggage. Would stay again but choose a room in the main building.

Room Tip: Avoid the annexe rooms
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank janemeans
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Looking for a hotel that was close to Siena but not in the town at Palio time, I found this delightful Villa with a long list of illustrious past guests. It is set in beautiful gardens with a lovely pool and lots of places for sitting and reading, or just looking! The rooms are big and well furnished with fresh flowers every day and a well appointed bathroom with rain showerhead as well as hand held shower in the bath. The staff are all lovely, well trained and friendly and seem genuinely to be glad you are there. There is an attractive sun terrace where you can sip your pre-dinner prosecco and the restaurant is definitely not to be missed. The food is excellent and accompanied by a good wine list and the head waiter, Andrea, will give you sound advice on what to try. We had the Tuscan tasting menu on our first night, which was so good we returned most evenings to taste the other dishes. The lunch menu is also very good with dishes such as Bresaola with rocket and parmesan, Melon and prosciutto and Mozzarella and tomato – perfect for a light lunch with a glass of the local Vernacchia from San Gimignano.
The hotel helped arrange a great package for the Palio. We attended the final trial race and had a tour of the contrada museum, with seats on the bleachers for the actual race and a contrada scarf to wave if we wished. We ended up with guest passes for the contrada dinner – a thousand people in a square with lights and a terrific atmosphere. Would certainly return to this hotel if we visit this part of Tuscany again. Thank you to the Nardi family and all the staff for making our visit so enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank deadkeats
Reviewed July 3, 2014

Quaint villa with comfortable rooms and lovely gardens. Wonderful service from staff especially from the head waiter Andreas. Good food and wine. Conveniently located. It is a short drive to the Piazza del Campo, Monteriggioni and San Gimignano. There is a train station 5 minutes drive from the villa

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Reviewed June 22, 2014

Myself and my Mother stayed in the Villa for 4 nights in June 2014.

We used it as a base to explore Tuscany. It is true that the Villa is outside of Siena but they are very clear about this on the website so this should not be a surprise to anyone booking with them. On the first night we were encouraged to go into central Siena by the bus directly outisde the hotel. We were assured that the driver would call out the stop that we were meant to get out of - he did not - so we majorly overshot it - and had to end up getting a taxi, back tracking to the city centre. I would recommend getting a taxi (approx 10-12 euros) - much more convenient. We hired a car for two days and both Barbara and Bruce on the front desk helped us to plan the towns and villages that we would visit. There is plenty of car parking in the hotel for those hiring cars.

We stayed in Room 50, which was of a decent size. The view from our window was lovely. It is true that you can hear traffic but we did not find this disturbing. There is a turn down service in the evening which surprised me as I always associate this with more expensive hotels.

The breakfast is nice, but fresh orange juice should not be charged at an extra cost. Also at other hotels in Italy the boiled eggs were on the buffet, whereas here you had to ask for them at breakfast - I was met with an awkward look from the female waitress when I inquired after the eggs. The coffee was always nice and strong and also you could order cappuccino etc at no additional cost. Also one morning I was late to breakfast as I was dropping the car back to the rental place and the waiter kindly let me take breakfast to the bar area and even followed me to offer me some coffee - very good service from this particular gentleman.

We had both lunch and dinner in the hotel and this is where the chef came into his own. I had a gorgeous, tasty full of flavour pesto spaghetti dish - I am still dreaming about it. Also the tiramisu was exceptional. I am married to a chef so I know what I am talking about! Bursting with flavours. I did find the wine list a little expensive but I could find a nice bottle within my price range.

There is a magazine rack (and also a cabinet with books) in the bar area and it is very enjoyable to go into the bar (with pleasant low playing music) and enjoy a post-dinner drink or coffee to digest.

The weather was very stormy when we were there so we had planned on using the pool area but it did not work out, so I can not comment on this.

I would recommend this hotel to couples and people travelling with Mums!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple