“After Two Visits, I Can't Imagine Staying Anywhere Else”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Palazzo Ravizza

Palazzo Ravizza
Ranked #3 of 40 Hotels in Siena
Sausalito, California
“After Two Visits, I Can't Imagine Staying Anywhere Else”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Many years ago, prior to the internet or TripAdvisor, I stayed at Palazzo Ravizza and remember being so impressed with the grandeur of what was once a private residence and the friendly staff. Unfortunately, for this last trip I could not remember any of the details as to the name or location, so I booked a room at a place that sounded "similar" in its description.

As soon as I saw the view of the garden from my room window, I knew I had found the same place. I won't forget it again! My "standard" room, was quite large enough for the two of us and had a beautiful view of the garden and the surrounding countryside. The breakfast is very good, most notable is the friendliness and helpfulness of the staff. The receptionist recommended a fabulous place to eat (and pulled strings to get us a reservation on short notice), and helped me book train tickets for some of my future travels. The bartender/breakfast supervisor Francesco made us feel like welcome friends. I will definitely return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden. If you are traveling by car you will love the free, and secure, p...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Finnish first
maine
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Thanks to Tripadvisor, I discovered this perfect gem of a hotel. We spent five nights in a spacious suite overlooking the garden. Like many here, I was at first put off by the unimpressive facade facing the street. It looked more like a one-star place for students on a budget. But walk through that nondescript door into the lobby, and you'll glimpse a lush garden and a spectacular view over the countryside. (I attach photos to show the view from our window.) It is a serene little paradise, one that we could have lingered in all day -- if there wasn't so much to see in Siena. If you do go, don't neglect to walk down into the lower terrace of the garden, where there are roses. You can order drinks and snacks to enjoy at the tables outside, and you won't be able to take your eyes off that magnificent view.

The staff is friendly and helpful, and they do speak English. The hotel's location is excellent, just a short walk to the Campo, the Duomo, and countless fine restaurants. Yet it's so, so quiet because it's out of the heavy tourist traffic.

The breakfast buffet was okay -- fresh baked breads with cheese, cured meats and fruit, but not particularly extensive. Still, it did the job.

The only negative detail is the lack of free wifi. I did miss that! Hope they'll consider offering it to guests in the future.

Room Tip: We had room number one, facing the garden. Spectacular view!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Zürich, Schweiz
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Palazzo Ravizza is a real old palazzo with many great details, furnished and led with love and aestetic flair. The bathroom is very old style - we loved it but others might like it more modern here. However, the bed was modern high quality. Another "old style" thing is the elevator and the maze of hallways - we loved it. Unquestionably great are the garden and its view, especially in combination with a location rather close to the center. Tucholsky's lyrics "Das Ideal" came to my mind: "Ja, das möchtste: Eine Villa im Grünen mit großer Terrasse, vorn die Ostsee, hinten die Friedrichstraße; mit schöner Aussicht" (Yeah, that's what you'd want: A villa in the greens, in front the Baltic Sea, backwards Friedrichstraße, with a nice view).

Room Tip: You have two good options: The rear rooms have the gorgeous view over Tuskany landscape, but the fro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HS_ZH
uk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

We stayed two nights here and enjoyed our stay immensely. Our room was spacious, well furnished (old fashioned but quality), and very individually decorated. The air conditioning was excellent.

Sadly we did not have a view over the countryside but out friends did and it was stunning - however the garden terrace is just as good and a great place to have a glass of wine while deciding which restaurant to visit.

Also the staff were very, very friendly and helpful. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: If you can, get a room at the back with a view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Reenby
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Go! That's my only advice to you! This is one of my favourite places I have ever stayed! A large homely pensione-style accommodation hosts gorgeous, authentic rooms, comfortable, cosy beds, romantic views and friendly service. The breakfast is delicious, and the lovely lady at the front desk was helpful to a fault! And all for such a reasonable price! I want to go back to Siena for this place alone - other hoteliers should be trained here!!!

Room Tip: As for a view over the surrounding countryside, on the upper levels if possible - you won't be d...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tim B
Kineton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Just got back after a week at this hotel. We found them very helpful with all aspects of the booking, including recommending a cab company for the journey from the airport as we did not hire a car.
We had a room with a view over the garden and the beautiful Tuscan countryside - absolutely fantastic. Room a bit long and narrow - from the floor layouts we saw, there were plenty of other larger, better proportioned rooms. Also, bathroom layout wasn't great. Furniture is not modern, but is perfectly in keeping with the style of the hotel. If our room was typical, you would be well advised to take hangers for your clothes with you. We had a total of 4 in our room.
However.....staff were very friendly and helpful; location meant it was a short walk into town and most of the tourist sites. Public areas were good, though it seemed that very few guests used them. The garden was a great place both for breakfast and for a pre-dinner drink. Don't expect a huge cooked breakfast - for us the fresh fruit, cereal, yoghurt, croissants, bread, meats and cheese were a great way to start the day.
Most guests seemed to be Americans staying for a couple of days as part of a journey through Italy.
The hotel recommended restaurants for dinner. We tried two - Divo and San Giuseppe's - food and service both good, but both quite pricey - 3 courses for me, two for my wife plus a bottle of wine came to about 130 euro. The best place we ate at was the Castelvecchio restaurant. Best food by some distance, good service and cheaper than the other two, and though there was a cover charge, they did not automatically add a service charge.
This was our first city based holiday in Italy, and we found the Palazzo Ravizza a great base for exploring Siena and the surrounding countryside.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view over the garden. Biggest rooms are on the first floor. Avoid 22 and 32 - the...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Geoff R
Irvington, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

We drove up to the hotel totally exhausted, and were confronted by a (small) sign and a bank of brick buildings. My husband said, "This is our hotel?" He walked in to check in with something more than misgivings and walked out and said, "WOW". Then we got to our room: what a view of the Tuscan countryside! The room was spotlessly clean. While it looked "old" it had every amenity we could think of including a frig disguised as a cabinet.
The hotel staff was wonderful. They recommended a great restaurant for dinner, not fancy, just super good. And the breakfasts were wonderful and served in a room that looked medieval.
All in all a great small hotel in a very convenient area. There's even on site parking.
I'd go again tomorrow and stay longer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple