“Very comfortable”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“Very comfortable”
Reviewed February 8, 2013

I spent three nights here. I think this hotel is very well located at the north end of town. There are hotels on the other end of town, but I thought this was a better end to start from, at the top of the hill instead of the bottom. It is a prominent building, with a somewhat faceless, international hotel feel to it and is a bit dark in the lobby. But the rooms are well thought out, are bright both from lighting and from the windows, and provide a decent amount of space. (I feel particularly qualified on this topic because I had to shift to three different rooms when the first one's toilet smelled horrible and the second one's shower flooded. The hotel responded quickly and satisfactorily to these problems.) The double bed was pretty comfy with good linens, although it was two mattresses pushed together. The bathroom had good space and a rain shower and the amenities were outstanding, particularly the grapefruit-scented face soap. The towels were pretty fluffy. The Internet was weak in the room. My room had a great view of the town's soccer stadium and I watched a Serie A game from my window. The breakfasts were plentiful, varied, and filling, although the scrambled eggs were really bad. My room's temperature was almost never right due to the fact that the temperature is controlled at the front desk for some reason I certainly never understood. I found out that there was a similar power grab by the front desk when I could not get a line out and, after walking downstairs, learned the front desk had to clear something. I never understood that either. The staff were all quite proficient, although a couple could be more cheerful. Despite the negative points I note, I do recommend this hotel in Siena, and Siena as a good base for Tuscany, and I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Air con in 301 is not functioning.. Just imagin whole night no hot air from air con..freezing like hell..The hotel actually control the power saving...you will end up sleeping in a cold room.. Not worth staying..did a complain to Manager SANO she was rude...answer was this is the system they have.. Can't help it.. Simply can't believe this is a 4 star hotel..!!!! Rotten luck to stay in such hotel in Europe

Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Lester O
Saratoga Springs, New York
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This hotel is modern and well-located. The room is a typical modern hotel room... not too big, but perfectly adequate, with a desk and 2 small chairs. The bed was fine, as was the bath. Our room looked over the soccer/athletic field, a view I found rather sad, given the beauty of Siena, but we could see the lovely buildings beyond it in the distance, and we could hear the bells toll every once in a while, which was nice. One quirk of the room was quite annoying and that is that we could not run electricity through the night once the lights went out. We had to keep the lights on near the door to keep needed electricity going... and as the room was small, the brightness made the room difficult to sleep in. Luckily I could borrow an eye mask to help me sleep. Overall, I had no other complaints, but I'll probably look for a place with more character next time I visit Siena.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed October 21, 2012

This hotel is situated near the town square (10 min walk) of Il Campo and is near lots of interesting, quaint dining options. The room had a safe for our passports as we strolled around and took in the inspiring scenery of this beautiful town. The complimentary breakfast was fabulous, offering a wide variety of breads, meats, cheeses, fruits, etc. We would definitely stay here again. One thing - in the morning when the hotel offered to call us a cab so we could get to the train station, he didn't mention that it is quite easy to catch cabs on your own and that by accepting his help, we would be charged an additional 3 euros. Not a biggie, but we felt a little taken (and ignorant I'm sure).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jenny1stAv
Ireland
Reviewed October 19, 2012

As many of the contributers have noted, the location of this hotel is very good. Within three minutes walk you are in Il Campo the huge main square. My room was adequate. The only problem in my room was with the air-conditioning. When it didn't seem to work I reported it to the reception. One arrogant young man informed me that the manager had ordered it to be switched off. As though that was an adequate reply. Although it was October the room was suffocating at nighttime. The breakfast was good but every morning they ran out of cups and a queue formed at the coffee machine so when a waitress arrived with about a dozen cups on a tray they were all snapped up before she had time to put the tray down. This happened every morning!. Siena is a wonderful city and attracts a lot of tourist so some hotels don't give the service that they should.

Room Tip: If the air-conditioning is off don't get a room on the front overlooking the busy bus station be...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Carrigaholt
Elk Grove, California
Reviewed October 16, 2012

In general, based on the five nights my wife and I spent, the hotel is clean and well organized. Rooms are adequately large and the bathroom is quite good. The front desk, all males, have not yet smiled at any person and give extended attention to Italians when American tourists are waiting; courtesy has yet to reach this part of Italy. The location is across town from the major visitor targets, such as the Duomo Complex and the Campo, taking about twenty minutes for an unhurried walk uphill, but passes many high-quality shops. We didn't ever see a concierege, making where to ask about the city's interests a bit difficult. Air conditioning was not on even though the days were warm this year; one staff person said that an agreement with the city requires hotels to shut down A/C in October until late next spring. I asked a bartender what time he opened each day in the lounge and he said 10:30 a.m. It has in fact never opened before four or five during our time here. WiFi is now free here, a change. It is sometimes quite slow, perhaps when there are lots of people on their computers, as it varies. While there are problems, the hotel is still comfortable and clean with good rooms. We would return but be aware of imperfections.

Room Tip: On the street side, the major bus site in the city, the noise of vehicles and people is constant unt...
Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Dunsmurian
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We stay here one night. The location is great and the hotel was clean. The people at the front desk were pleasant. The restaurant service was horrible. We could get served at the bar and the wait staff was short. They had three waiters serving fifty people in the restaurant. The bartender was rude and only served the native Italians. Breakfast is the same way. Make sure you eat out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family