“tasty”

Ristorante Alla Speranza
Reserve with
Ristorante Alla Speranza is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #424 of 543 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian, Cafe, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 28, 2013

in the square of Piazza del Campo, site of famous horse race... sit outside and people watch.. super fun

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We knew we shouldn't have eaten at Piazza del Campo, but we got into Siena quite late, and the only restaurants that were still open for dinner were at Piazza del Campo. We knew that it would be expensive and touristy, so we were just going to order two simple dishes, fill our stomachs, and be on our way. We were looking at the menu of this place, when the waiter came to greet us and tried to usher us in. He told us that they weren't serving anything but pizza at this time, so my husband didn't want to eat there as he wanted pasta. But the waiter told us to sit down and he would ask the kitchen. So he sat us down, went to the kitchen, and then brought us menus. He came back a little while later asking if we knew what we wanted, but we hadn't decided yet. He said he had to tell the kitchen soon if we wanted pasta, so we said we definitely wanted pasta. We quickly decided after that, but the waiter didn't come back until 5-10 minutes later. Then he just told us that we can only order pizza. I found this extremely rude as he only lured us in on the pre-tense that we could order pasta. I'm sure he knew that we couldn't from the beginning, but chose not to confirm this until we were about to order. So we ordered two pizzas instead. The Speck e Mascarpone and the Prosciutto Cotto e Funghi. The pizza bases were undercooked and quite soggy. The mushrooms on the Prosciutto Cotto e Funghi were canned sliced champignons, and you could still see the water glistening on the surface of the pizza. They tasted awful. When it was time to pay, a different waiter came with a receipt with a total sum of EUR24. My husband gave him a EUR50 note. Then our original waiter came back, and rudely said, "There was a mistake with your bill. Here's your change." And only gave us EUR20 back! We had a look at the new receipt and found that they had suddenly added EUR3 per head cover charge! We didn't have any bread or water, so I'm not sure what the cover charge was for, but what annoyed me the most was how rude he was about the whole thing. He just plonked down the significantly reduced change, and left without an explanation. I strongly recommend you NOT visit this place. If I had it over again, I'd rather starve than eat here!

1  Thank LittleMissLing
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I truly believe this is the worst restaurant we have ever made the mistake of trying. Service was non-existent, the food mediocre at best (canned mushrooms???), we were pretty much ignored the entire time. We were charged a 3 euro per person cover charge even though Rick Steve's book specifically stated no cover charge, for a basket of bread we didn't touch. But. The worst was when we paid, our total was 38.50 euro, we gave them 50.50 euro, and after at minimum 25 minutes, they retuned with our receipt and 2 euro in change. I DO NOT believe this was an accident, I think they assumed we were dumb tourist that would not know the difference. After much discussion the waiter left and returned shortly with the proper change. No apology, nothing. Unless you want to pay a lot of money for lousy food and be ignored by the entire staff, stay away, the view is not worth it!!!

1  Thank MikeandTeri
Reviewed February 23, 2013

This and other restaurants around are over priced. There is nothing except ordinary food and toilet. If you tip the staff before you sit and eat, they are friendly. Tables are so small that two cant eat in comfort. You can find a better place.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

A lovely glass of Tuscany red as the sun faded away over Piazza del Campo watching the locals and tourist wander past. Siena whispers style and lifestyle (whereas Rome screams go fast into History).....to me anyway. The service was comforting and how it should be in such a setting - not intrusive but there if and when you needed it. The food was amazing - I had the (forgive me Italy for my crass english descriptions) tomato soup (eaten with a fork and and scrumptious). The pork dish was amazing (pork fillet wrapped in bacon in a sauce and spinach). I couldn't resist having a small plate of local cheeses and cold meats.

Sure, the cost was up there.....but the location, food, wine and service was exceptional in my book.