“Distasteful, stay away”

Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Koper, Slovenia
“Distasteful, stay away”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

I recently had the displeasure of dining at L'Oro di Siena with my wife, solely because of the good reviews here. What a mistake. The food is below average, the waiters are nothing special (although they seem to try), the price is high for this level of service. If you are an experienced eater, if you know how a well-ranked restaurant should be, if you want to eat good food... stay away from L'Oro di Siena. I like creative cooking, but this was just rediculous. For starters, I had some pasta which I ate because I was hungry. Then for the main course I had a tagliata with pecorino cheese and strawberries. After a few bites, I gave up. I just couldn't eat this.

The cook also deserves a special mention. When she came out of the kitchen, she had a runny nose and seemed ill. Not a good sign.

I didn't say anything to the waiter (a mistake), paid the unreasonably high bill and left and thought that was the end of it. After coming back to the hotel I checked the reviews once again which led me to share my experience too. If you are still contemplating to eat at L'Oro di Siena, just don't do it - there are many better choices in this city.

• Visited May 2013
5 Thank Marko P
Luppoli M, Proprietario at L'Oro di Siena, responded to this review, May 27, 2013
Recently these tow customers had dinner in my restaurant.I welcomed them in because they seemed polite.What a mistake.The preparation on the manners of my waiters are really good, none of them is impolite or unprepared .The price for the service is 1,50 which I don’t think is much . Since you did not like the food we served you, I advise next time, you try the McDonalds maybe they suit you better. I do not eat pasta as a starter, and I do not eat 200 gr. of pasta, just because I am hungry, but I finish it only if it is good. Before ordering the meat you read the description in English, nobody forced you to take that specified dish. If you do not like that combination, you are free to take anything else. I do not allow you to judge the chef, which by the way is my mother. If you thought she was dirty, why didn’t you tell it to me right in front of my eyes? The price was written and the menu and your wife finished all the dishes we served. How is that possible, did she like everything or she was hungry? Honestly I find this review very disappointing.
I think that you went to the wrong restaurant. We have never been number two, so I do not this your review is true. The highest number we have been is three.

• Korean first
  • Polish first
Espoo, Finland
“Great service!!!”
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Great food in low Price. Most of All great Service. Place near good hotel Minerva, in historical Center of Siena. I shall go again.

Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Very nice surprise”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

We dined twice in L'Oro di Siena and on a third night, we ordered take away pizza. We first thought it would be just an honest little restaurant conveniently located near our hotel. But surprisingly, all our meals were delicious. The staff was very attentive and the wine list was quite impressive. I most definitely recommend.

Perth
“Fantastico”
Reviewed April 18, 2013

We arrived late in sienna with our 2 boys, we were very tired after a full day driving, the restaurant was directly across from our hotel and was an easy option, it turned out to be one of the best and friendliest places we have been. Mateo and his mum were so welcoming and helpful, best wine recommendation since we have been in Italy, and the food was awesome. We will all defiantly be returning, thank you so much for your hospitality.

Invercargill, New Zealand
“Great find in Siena”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

This lovely restaurant was over the road from our hotel and after a quick check on Tripadvisor we decided we would go with the easy option and dine locally. It turned out to be the most enjoyable meal on our trip so far. Very friendly staff, beautifully cooked food and a great recommendation for a local Chianti Classico. Highly recommended.