“Beautiful view from Panorama”

Museo dell'Opera Metropolitana
Ranked #12 of 147 things to do in Siena
More attraction details
Owner description: Occupying part of Il Duomo's extension, this museum houses Pisano's original statues from the building's façade and a fine array of panels, including works by Simone Martini, Pietro Lorenzetti and Sano di Pietro.
Texas
35 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Beautiful view from Panorama”
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Purchase an all-inclusive pass at the Siena Cathedral that will allow entrance into all of the buildings at the Duomo. The items in the museum are interesting, but if you have limited time proceed immediately to the top floor and join the line for the Panorama. Only a certain number are allowed up at a time and the wait can be long. Our wait was about 35 minutes but those behind us waited longer. The steps are winding, steep and narrow, but if you can manage them the view is worth the effort. Three in our group could not climb all the way to the top, so we were allowed to take in the view from the first landing which was at about rooftop level (picture posted).

If you've had any kind of back, knee, or heart surgery recently, I'd think twice before making this climb. It was difficult for me with a quad cane and for my husband, who has arthritis. I accidentally hit my camera button as we approached the top of the steps and have a picture of myself huffing and puffing -- I look like the walking dead. It took about half of our time to recuperate from the climb, leaving us the other half to take pictures and enjoy the view. It was still worth it!

• Czech first
80 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Not to be missed”
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Built out of the cathedral extension that was halted due to the plague, the museum houses some statuary that has been taken from the cathedral to preserve it along with other pieces of artwork.
You make your way upwards, through the various galleries until you reach the queue for the panorama.
I don't know if I would have the patience in the height of summer, when the queue would be a lot longer and the heat a lot greater, but our half hour wait was worth it. We had views over all of Siena and the wonderful pan tiles. I just regretted that I'm not an artist and could paint what I could see, I just took lots of photos.
Our visit. Was cut short by my partner who doesn't have the same head for heights as me, it certainly isn't for the faint hearted! One of many 'high'lights of our visit to Siena.

Wollongong, Australia
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“fantastic views over Siena”
Reviewed June 22, 2013

The highlight for me was climbing the winding and narrow steeps up to the Facciatone. It was 38 degrees C and stifling and I still had very sore calf muscles from climbing the Campanile di Giotto the day before (the belltower with 414 steps next to the Duomo in Florence...totally recommend), but the view over Siena town including Piazza del Campo) to the Tuscan hillside was amazing.

Little Canfield, United Kingdom
177 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 162 helpful votes
“Worth the visit”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

You can visit the museum as part of the combined ticket and if you have the i-pad guide option you can also use it in the museum, making the visit more interesting.
The view from the Panoramica is worth the climb...up to the 3rd floor then another 130 spiral stone steps. Be aware that you are only allowed 10 minutes at the viewpoint.

Bristol, United Kingdom
69 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 83 helpful votes
“interesting museum next to Duomo”
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was included in the all-in-one ticket that we bought for the Duomo. It is interesting for its history of the Duomo and also the panaramic view from what would have been the extended nave.

Visited May 2013