“Passionate Tuscan cooking”

and up
Tuscan Cooking Class in Central Siena
Ranked #4 of 156 things to do in Siena
Reviewed March 22, 2014

We're two foodie 'want-to-be's' from Canada who love to cook at home and had this recommended by our villa hotel in San Felice. It was late March and although we expected to be among several, we ended up having a private lesson with Lella and her assistant Julia, along with Elenore as the translator.

The food was one of the best meals we've had in Tuscany and we were able to work right alongside the experts: tomato bread soup (may not sound awesome, but it was!), homemade pasta with a meat and tomato sauce (a few tricks for the tomato sauce made it rich and delicious!), a thinly sliced steak with potato soufflé, and some lemon rice fritters for dessert...amazing!

Lella and Julia, and even our translator Elenore knew their stuff on Tuscan food and ingredients and shared not just recipes and techniques but a true passion for Tuscan culture and food. They were fantastic, and working through a translator makes it all the more authentic and engaging.

Lella has been running the school for over 20 years and teaches various dish-themed classes to Italians and tourists alike. A great experience and well worth it!

1  Thank DJ-vino
"skill level"
"beautiful kitchen"
"an amazing cook"

Reviewed October 9, 2013

One of the highlights of our trip. We spent a delightful evening with Lella, Giulia and Irene learning a few secrets of Italian cooking. This is a hands-on experience where you truly do get to taste the fruits of your labor. Lella spoke in Italian while Irene translated...and I wouldn't have it any other way. It was a great part of the experience. These people love what they do and it translated to us loving our experience.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

I love to cook and am Italian as well. My husband booked this class knowing I would be thrilled to be a part of a Tuscan kitchen in the heart of Sienna. We were provided a fabulous interpreter and were instantly welcomed into Lella's kitchen. It was extremely neat and tidy with adorable plaid curtains and sunflowers.
Lella got right into the class, never stopping , but quite attentive to us. We were able to ask as many questions as we wanted and were always given an answer or demonstration. I am also a vegetarian and Lella totally accommodated me. The Tuscan Bread Soup was AMAZING!
We made our own pasta and a variety of other wonderful "comfort foods". We were also given her famous wine and plates full of the food we just createdShe even sent me home with a bag of cookies we had baked...Richiollis(?) they were crazy good!!!
Lella was so sweet ... we fell in love with the entire staff that day. I only wish I could have spent another session with her!
Love you Lella! xox

1  Thank LynneB1966
Reviewed October 2, 2013

I went to the scuola as part of a large group, and was not especially looking forward to it. I enjoy cooking, but had never taken a class before. Much to my surprise, I loved it! Lelia spoke almost no English, but it didn't matter. She had a charming interpreter, and the two of them were very entertaining. The actually preparing of the food was fun and not at all intimidating, even to the novice cooks in the class. We rolled out our pasta by hand, and it was much easier than many thought it would be. Our meal was delicious, and the classroom/kitchen and dining room were very comfortable. We were given the recipes for the dishes we prepared, so that we could make them at home- a great souvenir from a vacation!