“A very good restaurant”

Zest Ristorante & Winebar
Reserve with
Zest Ristorante & Winebar is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #27 of 521 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean, European, Wine Bar
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Melbourne, Australia
“A very good restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013

We were overnight in Siena and chose this restaurant from trip advisor. This was a very enjoyable meal with a good selection of food and wine. I can recommend the savoury tart with Gorgonzola cheese and caramelised onion and the chicken rolls which were excellent. My wife enjoyed ravioli and squid. The service was good and the staff eager to please. The price was very reasonable for the quality of food. Recommended

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Yorkshire
“ITALIAN CUISINE AND GENEROSITY AT ITS BEST”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

A friend recommended 'Zest' to me. You'd never find it without instructions! Find Santa Katerina Church/Basilica (patron saint of Siena) - stand facing the gate way - without going in look RIGHT up steep cobbled alleyway. On the right is ZEST - bench seats and tables face you. Very much worth trying.

We felt welcomed into a family (the wife is English), James the English waiter was a real help and completely sold on the food. He chose our wine from a Chianti vineyard and later they gave us a VIP ticket for access to the vineyard in question. Fascinating. We ate there twice and the food was interesting and excellent. Do go if you can. Lovely rear view of the Duomo at night.

Thones, France
“Disappointing!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

We stopped in at Sienna just to try this restaurant. If it wasn't for Sienna being so beautiful, it would have been a total waste of our time. I am sitting here at the moment finishing off our wine. I liked one of our dishes - the leek, gorgonzola and onion tart, but the others were swamped in oil. It's a cute location, but that doesn't make up for the average standard of food served here. In the past few days we have had much better food in Italy. What really annoyed me, was the young english waiter who told us that parmesan was not appropriate on seafood, when I requested some, and suggested I try the dish first. He then brought some, no doubt hoping I'd refuse, but when I confirmed I definitely wanted some he couldn't resist a lecture on exactly why parmesan and seafood don't belong together. Having heard this story several times before, and being considerably older (and possibly wiser?) this did not amuse us. It goes to show that you can never be 100 per cent sure with these reviews!

• Visited June 2013
zestwinebar1, Owner at Zest Ristorante & Winebar, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Sorry to here you were disappointed with our restaurant.
Firstly regarding the food, James said you ordered the Frittura which is a lightly fried squid dish, this should definitely not be swimming in oil, it has a light lemon and olive oil dressing on the salad leaves.. The Pici Livornese is not an oily dish as it is a rich seafood sauce with a tomato base.The only dish which had extra virgin olive oil were the grilled vegetables, this could easily have been without the olive oil if you had preferred. Regarding the cheese on the seafood pasta, James suggested you try the dish first before adding cheese, these are the recommendations of the chef as cheese completely changes the flavour. I appreciate that every palate is different and at the end of the day if you want cheese this is a personal choice and we are not going to say no.
Little Canfield, United Kingdom
“Good food and faultless service!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

We set out to have a meal here recently, ordered the food and a glass of wine when I suddenly became ill and had to return to the hotel. My husband spoke to the waiter just as the food arrived, it was taken back to the kitchen, transferred to plastic containers and he left with a complimentary bottle of wine and their good wishes for a speedy recovery!
My husband returned to our hotel and promptly ate both meals (orchietta with grilled veg and chicken wrapped in ham), declaring them delicious, even if he had to eat them from plastic containers!
Thank you to everyone at Zest.

Melbourne
“LOVELY FOOD........BUT”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We dined here last Tuesday night and can say it ranks as one of the best meals we had in Italy....we shared a magnificent calamari entree, I had a lovely chicken dish stuffed with prunes and other goodies..other half had grilled salmon...both dishes were over salted for our taste which I mentioned to the waiter, though I don't cook with salt at home...
A lovely meal was unfortunately marred and cut short (even for coffee) by an excessively noisy group of 7 including a young boy., which the restaurant did nothing to quell!!!!!!!.....the noise was THAT great from these 7' they totally drowned out the background music playing......perhaps it was because we were 'tourists' and we were less important....we finished our lovely main meal and couldn't get out fast enough

• Visited June 2013
zestwinebar1, Owner at Zest Ristorante & Winebar, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
We are very sorry for the noisy group, I did mention to the mother when the little boy was misbehaving, though there is only so much I can do. Italians in general are noisier especially when all together and had I known you were not happy I could have seated you in the other dining area that was not being used. I have to add that i do not see tourists as less important, for me all our customers are treated equally.