“Awful experience” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taverna di Cecco

Taverna di Cecco
Ranked #34 of 516 Restaurants in Siena
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Hong Kong
“Awful experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We had a traumatic dinner at this restaurant when my husband discovered a rubber band in his meal....at the last bite of it ! It was lying in the sauce of his mushroom with polenta. SO DISGUSTING ! This is totally unacceptable in tems of hygiene.
The waiter slightly apologized but the boss didn't even had the courage to come to apologize and give us an explanation....but is there any kind of explanation to give to this kind of serious lack of hygiene anyway ?? The waiter said it must be the grandmother rubber band..... But how not to be totally upset ?
Needless to say that we immediately left this place, completly shocked and disgusted.
We mentioned our horrible experience to the local tourist board.

• Visited May 2013

• Slovak first
Oakland, California
“Great restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 10, 2013

We showed up at around 9pm, and with no reservation. The waiter mentioned another table was almost done with their meal and suggested we waited a bit. As we wait outside, the same waiter comes out with two white wine glasses and hand it is us and say `uno apperitivo `.
About ten minutes later our table was ready. This is a tiny place, so be prepared to be sitting very closely to other people. It is almost like sitting around a big table sharing a meal with a bunch of other people. Fun.
My partner had the tagliatelle con fungi. Make sure you add some olive oil like all the Italians do, and the dish is perfect.I had the tortellini and wow, the sauce was amazingly yummy. There was a little hint of cinnamon with every bite, which made it super delightful. When asked the chef about it, he said that taste was actually from the sausage.
We skipped desert, but I now regret it :)
Reservation is recommended if between 8:00-10:00.

• Visited May 2013
2 Thank jovino r
New York City, New York
“Best meal of the whole trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2013

Best meal we experienced during a two week trip to Italy visiting five cities. I had the tagliatelle with boar, my husband had the polenta. Both were absolutely delicious. The tagliatelle had a lovely texture, with that slight chewiness, and the boar was rich, well seasoned and paired well with the pasta. The polenta was also delicious. Great atmosphere, low key, casual but still elegant. Would definitely return!

1 Thank Carolyn122011
Waverly, Pennsylvania
“Great family run restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was first taken to this restaurant by an American who has lived in Siena since the 1970's. She advised me on her favorite dishes and she was right on! I had a polenta dish with a mushroom sauce that was delicious. Also their tiramisu is unique and famous...a must get. Off the beaten path.

1 Thank Emolly
Redding, Connecticut, USA
“Good Food, Good Value but caution”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We asked some friends in Siena where do th elocals go; they suggested Taverna di Cecco. I personnally hate it when I am in a foreign country and find myself in a restaurant filled with Americans. I want to absorb culture and eating with a bunch of Americans is not a way to do that. We were not disappointed here. There was one English speaking couple there when we arrived at 8:00. They were soon finished as Americans generally eat early, then no more English speakers were seen all night.

The place is charming and cozy and the prices are very reasonable. The service was very good and so was the wine. I would say, however, that not all of our meals were great. My Florentine friend hated her risotto, saying it was dry and barely edible. My other friend said her pork roast was tasty but very dry. I had the osso busso which was excellent, as was the polenta starter. The pastas looked great and all seemed to be enjoying their food.

What i want to caution you about is the bill. The bill came to EU 115 for the three of us (including a nice bottle of wine). I did not look carefully, and paid the bill and left 15 euros tip (I am American and always leave extra). Afterwards, looking at the bill, we realized they had already added a 15% tip to the bill which was actually 100. My Italian friends were aphalled. They said the grat was put on because I was American, as no Italian would stand for that - especially with a small table of only 3 people. So - watch the bill. Also the waiter never mentioned the tip was on the bill. What was a really fun night ended up with a feeling of being decieved. We wont go back here.

• 3 of 5 bubbles