“Great family run restaurant!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Taverna di Cecco

Taverna di Cecco
Ranked #35 of 516 Restaurants in Siena
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Dining on a budget, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Waverly, Pennsylvania
“Great family run restaurant!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

I was first taken to this restaurant by an American who has lived in Siena since the 1970's. She advised me on her favorite dishes and she was right on! I had a polenta dish with a mushroom sauce that was delicious. Also their tiramisu is unique and famous...a must get. Off the beaten path.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank Emolly

• Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Redding, Connecticut, USA
“Good Food, Good Value but caution”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

We asked some friends in Siena where do th elocals go; they suggested Taverna di Cecco. I personnally hate it when I am in a foreign country and find myself in a restaurant filled with Americans. I want to absorb culture and eating with a bunch of Americans is not a way to do that. We were not disappointed here. There was one English speaking couple there when we arrived at 8:00. They were soon finished as Americans generally eat early, then no more English speakers were seen all night.

The place is charming and cozy and the prices are very reasonable. The service was very good and so was the wine. I would say, however, that not all of our meals were great. My Florentine friend hated her risotto, saying it was dry and barely edible. My other friend said her pork roast was tasty but very dry. I had the osso busso which was excellent, as was the polenta starter. The pastas looked great and all seemed to be enjoying their food.

What i want to caution you about is the bill. The bill came to EU 115 for the three of us (including a nice bottle of wine). I did not look carefully, and paid the bill and left 15 euros tip (I am American and always leave extra). Afterwards, looking at the bill, we realized they had already added a 15% tip to the bill which was actually 100. My Italian friends were aphalled. They said the grat was put on because I was American, as no Italian would stand for that - especially with a small table of only 3 people. So - watch the bill. Also the waiter never mentioned the tip was on the bill. What was a really fun night ended up with a feeling of being decieved. We wont go back here.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank yecats59
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Siena's Best Kept Secret - Nonna Olga”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2013

Having asked the taxi driver for a nice place in the centre of Siena that was not a tourist trap he dropped us here. The taverna was empty when we arrived on a Saturday at 1230 but by 1315 the place was filled with Italian families of all ages. The food was traditional, well prepared, served with excellent local wine and the tiramisu is famous in Siena (it deserves to be). The chef is well into her 80's, she greets here regular dinners and is clearly a force of nature in the kitchen. A wonderful experience that we would never have had without a local. Great value for money, you will experience a true Italian dining experience here. Highly recommend.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank RoyalParkScotland
Greece, Athens
“tasty traditional italian food-value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

It was the only restaurant that the kitchen was open until 11 at night. The staff was very friendly, they explain us all the dishes and they suggested us their specialties. Very nice, quiet atmosphere, nice local wine and the best home made tiramisu i have ever ate! Very good prices.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Bill_Athens
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Grandma was in the house!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

During our visit to Siena, we asked some really nice people from a jewelry store, where do you eat? Do not send us to a tourist trap. Their respond: Grandmas's restaurant. Indeed it was. As soon as we arrived to Taverna Di Cecco, we spot her at the kitchen, giving instructions and cooking. Lovely lady in her 80's. the food was amazing. Truly home made italian food!