“There's a Reason the Place is Always Packed”
Review of il pomodorino

il pomodorino
Ranked #144 of 543 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, Brew Pub
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 29, 2014

Stopped in for a late-night dinner after a day trip out to Montepulciano. TIred, wet and hungry, we would have stopped anywhere - but in fact the food (all pizza, all the time) is very good, they nicely squeezed us in though we lacked a prenotazione, and the salads are very large and very fresh. Good selection of beers and wines by the glass.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,242)

Reviewed October 26, 2013

I tried this restaurant because of the good reviews here and because it was very close to my hotel. My advice is to avoid at all cost - the neighbouring establishment is far better.

To begin with the service was very poor - there were too few waiters for the number of diners. Tables had to wait ages for orders to be taken and once plates were delivered - often after a considerable wait - the waiters vanished. There was no attention paid to the patrons at all.

I ordered a calzoni which after a long wait was virtually thrown on to my table. When I looked at my pate I could see that at least half of the top layer had been burnt off - there was just a charred crater. I had to go and hunt for a waiter so that I could send the dish back. After another long wait a second one was served, almost a badly charred as the first one! This I also refused and asked for a simple Margarita instead. This was eventually delivered with only minor charring around the rim - the level you would expect from a wood fired oven. I can't say I particularly enjoyed this. The base was rather thick and the taste of this rather dominated the overall flavour, rather than being a subtle contributor.

There are obviously serious management issues at this establishment both in the kitchen and the restaurant.

3  Thank maxtonmike
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The pizza was very tasty and this was one of the few restaurants open when we wanted to eat - about 10 o'clock. Not great service but we were fed and happy.

Reviewed September 13, 2013

We went at "Il pomodorino" at 21:00 and got the last free table. The place is wonderful with great view of the city centre and the Duomo. The 2 pizzas we ordered were really tasty, reasonably priced and adequate for the two of us. The only negative thing we could spot was the service which was a little bit slow.
Overall, the place is great and the food is really good. Give it a try!

1  Thank Spy_83
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We went to eat with my wife to Il Pomodorino because it had very good reputatiom in TA.
We ordered a caprese salad and a margeritta pizza. The salad came with literally green tomatoes and the pizza at a mid temperature, not what you expect from an italian restaurant. The service was very bad, waiting long to be attended and when we claimed about food they just told us that it was the only tomato they had. Finally the food is expensive 10 euros for a simple pizza. You can get better pizzas for less