“Nice Restaurant, BAD service”

Osteria Boccon del Prete
Ranked #26 of 536 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed May 22, 2013

The Restaurant is quite nice and well decorated.
We were served by the waitress which she explained (in poor English) that the fish dish we wanted was fresh (she said it is "fresh fish"). Of course that was what we wanted and we order it, among other dishes we ordered (pasta, antipasto, etc).
What we received was raw fish - very fresh :) ,a kind of Carpaccio ... I did not return the dish, and I ate it but I was disappointed and hungry and for a carpaccio, also paid quite expensive.
When we finished, I asked the owner (I think he was the owner) for the bill. After quite a long time that we did not get the bill and the owner ditributes bills to other clients that finished after us, I asked him again, in English and nicely if we could receive the bill ... Big mistake on my part, he replied loudly and quite rudely (in Italian which I understand a bit), that he was busy and we have to wait.
We left the place hungry and angry...
Of course I do not recomend this place. Good food it's not enough to enjoy a Restaurant.

Reviewed May 21, 2013 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful food. Could have eaten it all over again. Sirlion was cooked to perfection and my wifes tuscan ragu pasta was amazing.Thank you.

1  Thank danyoung7580
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Lovely restaurant, very nice staff who were very personable. Do a very nice fish gnocchi dish and the tagliata di manzo is to die for. Their house wines aren't bad and the desserts are all extremely tasty.

Been a few times and will keep going back!

Reviewed April 6, 2013

We went twice -- first time was very good, and went back again. Food was excellent, service good, all in all, reasonable place. My wife got sick -- with apparent food poisoning after 2nd visit (I was fine). We were puzzled about this -- pretty typical nausea/vomiting shaking chills. So might be an issue here with cooking of eggs.

Menu was mostly in Italian - no translations.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Siena is special. The architecture and atmosphere and landscape/cityscape are stunning ... But during the day there are a lot of tourists about and we were two of them. Come evening and a rainy evening after a sunny early spring day, you want somewhere inviting and comforting and this osteria just fits the bill. The decor is warm with both ancient bits and modern bits thrown in. We were early diners but it was a good job because within half an hour the place was full and more kept coming. The food was excellent - polenta with Italian sausage and Parmesan cream well judged, gnocchi with sea bream, lemon and basil perfect, my steak rare and tender with roast potatoes delicious, desserts we succumbed and were glad we had. The wine local, the service efficient and very friendly to two inglese among many locals. The bill a lot less than you would expect. Well worth the climb up the hill from the Campo. Well done, Siena.