“Wonderful meal in an unpretentious Siena restaurant”

Osteria Boccon del Prete
Ranked #31 of 543 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Wonderful meal in an unpretentious Siena restaurant. We had
heard about the restaurant, walked by it, and read the
reviews. Boccon del Prete is a really good Sienese and
Tuscan restaurant.

We arrived around 8:00 without a reservation - thought this
would be ok, since it was almost November. Wrong - make a
reservation.

We were seated at a table in the low basement and it was
marvelous - we did not feel that we were second class. We
were near the kitchen, and the wait staff was continuously
going by - and we did not mind it at all. It made us a part
of the scene.

Food was marvelous. Had the pasta with roast boar ragu. My
wife felt it was a little gamey. It was delicious. My wife
had a vegetable pasta which was also very good. House wine
was superb.

Prices are reasonable, atmosphere is great, and food is
delicious. What more can one ask for. Wait staff is
conversant in English, service was prompt and attentive.

Highly recommend this place.

1  Thank jaynyc59
Write a ReviewReviews (1,696)

Reviewed October 24, 2011

This food is typical to Tuscany. It was good, but you could get the same types of dishes at many other restaurants in the region, including Siena. For this reason I don't feel bad in recommending that people don't go to this restaurant.

There I encountered one of the rudest waiters/managers I have ever met. Following a good meal there, I wanted to make a booking for another night with some friends but, I was told by the waiter that he didn't have time to make my booking. I tried to make another appointment with him to organise it, but he said he didn't need my business and wasn't able to organise another time.

It annoys me that a business/operator that gets good reviews on Trip Advisor could be so rude to customers. Their customers are the very same people that make their business successful because of the reviews they write about their food. The food here is nice, but I would not recommend this restaurant purely on principle.

1  Thank Natalie_Oliveri
Reviewed October 17, 2011

We liked this restaurant; really good food, and pleasant staff. Gets quite busy - we didn't book, but others later were sent away. Worth a visit - and we will return one day.

Reviewed August 20, 2011

We sat in the basement near the kitchen which was nice. The food was outstanding and the service was very good. We would eat here again.

Reviewed November 18, 2010

Amazing meal, comfortable and local setting. Best meal we had in Italy. The little pasta purses...yum!