“Simple place nice food”

Cuisines: Italian, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Booked the table couple of days in advance, purpose was to get Fiorentina steak for dinner. Unfortunately, we did not make reservation for the steak like another party did, and thus we did not get the famous steak.
However, very nice and friendly waitress helped us to choose from the menu and our dinner was excellent.

Reviewed January 2, 2014

I noticed that there was another review of the 2014 New Year's feast, so I'll write mine in English (I'm Italian but live in the US). A 10-course extravaganza, recommended to me by a friend who had enjoyed it before. Incredibly good food, the best of local culinary tradition with some creativity thrown in to spice things up. Hard to pick my favorites among the 10, maybe the "scottiglia all'amiatina" (it looks like a braised, slow cooked meat dish, maybe cooked in wine?) and the "tortelli di marroni" (chestnut ravioli for the US eaters). The place is very small, so I'd recommend calling in advance. This was my first time there, so I don't know how it is during the year, but I bet it's just as fabulous. Also, I don't know how vegetarians and vegans will fare. The cuisine around here is very much meat-oriented, but I'm sure that chef-owner Marco will be able to come up with something delicious if told in advance.

Reviewed December 18, 2013

We Were given this tip from a lovely artist that has the little shop where she makes scarves, hats etc. Locals frequent and our type of place. The food was magnificent and the waitress was too. She spoke a little english. There were 5 of us and we all got something different. It will be a place to go back to. Favorite dish…. the pasta dish on the wall. Order it and you won't be dissapointed.

Reviewed November 16, 2013 via mobile

Great place. Had no trouble ordering. Server/owner graciously explained the menu. House wine was a nice Chianti. Pici all'aglione was amazing! Pasta was perfect with a very garlicky tomato sauce. Porcini farfalle also delicious.
Then came the meat. Over a kilo, (3 lbs probably) of very rare, well seasoned Fiorentina steak. That and a few plates of contorni (local greens, potato and pureed white kidney beans) fed the four of us.
All for 100€. Informal bench seating. Really cozy.

Reviewed October 27, 2013

Based on a tip from a tour guide who promised a local place, frequented by local foodies, we passed on the many good restaurants that cater to tourists in favor of del Gato, and were not disappointed. Everything was fresh, prepared with care and presented with pride. The chef/owner also helped American diners avoid culinary gaffes - he refused to serve a neighboring diner a diet Coke, saying he would only serve him water or wine with dinner, and he refuses a companion grated cheese for her meat sauce. We did not feel affronted by either action - he only wanted his food experienced in the best possible way and he was extremely courteous in his interactions.

Our only regret was that we didn't order the Tuscan steak which was the house specialty. Next time we'll order antipasti, a couple pastas and share the huge steak four ways. Maybe that will leave room for dessert.

Yes, there is "limited English" here, but you are in Italy folks...and when you see the bill, you'll be saying "molto bene!"