“Walk about Tuscany really delivers!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 25 Food & Drink in Siena
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: My name is Gianni. I am a PhD geologist, certified nature guide and tour operator. Let me show you around the undiscovered Tuscany and set up your trip. I organize active tours. You will be able to enjoy beautiful walks in the countryside and through small villages, interact with the locals and sample great food and wines in Tuscany and Italy. I am a 46 year old resident, so passionate about my country. Only private tours or small group joinable tours. No bus crazy crowds! Let me put together a great active and cultural vacation for you and your friends. Please read my reviews.
Useful Information: Lockers / storage, Bathroom facilities
Denver, Colorado
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Walk about Tuscany really delivers!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 28, 2013

My husband and I took a half day walking trip with Sara from Walkabout Tuscany during our recent trip to Florence and Milan. We went to Greve to meet her and took a wonderful 6 mile walk through the vineyards and woods in that area. It was a beautiful day and Sara's great knowledge of the area and its history made the trip both educational and fun. We visited a small hill town and saw Amerigo Vespucci's house. At the end, we went to a wonderful butcher shop in Greve and had the best salumi and cheese I have ever had. We view this trip as one of the highlights of our trip to Italy and would highly recommend it. Sara was really fun and we had a great time!!

Visited September 2013
WalkAboutTuscany, Owner at Walk About Tuscany Tours, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear Denver,
Sara is one of my great associates. She is expert of the area and most of all great fun.
All of my associates are local guides. all of them have different skills and special interests. It is so enjoyable to work with such great collaborators.
I hope to meet you in person maybe in the future.
Ciao!

Tucson, Arizona
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Always a blast!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2013

Walking Tuscany with Gianni is a blast! I took a walking tour with Gianni in 2012 and booked a second walk with him this year. This time we hiked near Montalcino to Podere il Cocco, a small wine producer (whose wines blew my mind), then went to a local restaurant for pici, my favorite pasta. The whole time Gianni pointed out the sights, shared insight into the geology and history of the area, and shared anecdotes about local people and customs. If you really want to explore Tuscany beyond the pre-packaged, commercial experience (natural aromas, tastes, and views of the countryside that will knock your socks off), call Gianni.

Dear Richard,
or shall I say "Caro Riccardo". I was so happy to tour with you also because you are a repeating guest. This means that you trusted my service. That's why I felt like going to this micro-producer of Brunello di Montalcino would have been a great experience for you. It was great for me as well, since that place is not on the beaten track. Not mentioning our relaxing stroll in the countryside.
Al prossimo anno? (to the next year?) :-)
ciao!
Dayton, Ohio
“A wonderful Tuscan experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Thanks to Gianni our family enjoyed 2 wonderful tours in Tuscany last week. Our walk in the vineyards was a great alternative to the bustling of Venice and Milan. Gianni's extensive knowledge of both land and culture really enhanced this hike. This was followed by a delightful lunch at water's edge. He also arranged a half-day Siena tour with Elena who taught us so much more about Siena than we would ever have learned from a guidebook. How lucky we were to have her with us! And then to add to all of this was a fun cooking class (even though my pici was not even close to our chef's perfect ones!). To top it all off Gianni treated us to his musical talents on the flute with "Ave Maria". I just couldn't have asked for more!!

Ciao Peggie,
walking together, cooking together, playing music for you... it was not difficult at all. :-)
Hope to see you and your nice group again and again.
Wilmington, Delaware, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Amazing Walks through Tuscan Landscapes”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I just spent a wonderful 7 days in the company of Gianni; walking wonderful paths, eating the most delicious local foods, drinking astounding Tuscan vintages, and most importanty, laughing. We travelled through the most amazing landscapes and village-scapes, learning the customs and heritage of Tuscany. Our trip started in Siena, passed through Montalcino, and finished in Pienza, but encompassed so many other sites along the way. Hidden gems that Gianni has discovered and shared with us.
All of the accomodations that Gianni booked for us were excellent (and with excellent views - actually, unparalleled views, in my experience). Food choices were local, seasonal, and uniformly delicious - from simple picnic food to restaurant sit-down meals that never failed to impress. Gianni works tirelessly "behind the scenes" to ensure your comfort and satisfaction. I would not hesitate to recommend his services to others wanting an authentic experience of down-to-earth Tuscany. Bring your hiking shoes and prepare for fun.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank Paul C
Dear Paul,
I particularly loved your "behind the scenes" and "authentic experience of down-to-earth Tuscany".
This is exactly what I do and I am happy that you enjoyed your tour.
Please come back again and we will tour other areas.
Ciao!
toronto
“Walking, Laughing, Learning ... and then the Wine Tasting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2013

Dottore Gianni provided the most absorbing hike through the hills outside Radda-in-Chianti. He had all 20 members of our extended family/friends group so thoroughly enchanted with local stories, history, cultural hints, geological facts that we were sorry to see the hike end. But then...his friends at Casanuova di Ama provided the most wonderful wine tasting (their 2009 Chianti Riserva was so worth purchasing) and lunch. The bruschetta...we are still trying to replicate it back in Toronto. Buonissimo. Tutto. The entire day was one of the best we have had in our travels in the region...we would heartily recommend it to all - walk, laugh a little, then end it with the best Chianti has to offer - wine, bread, wine, cheese, the sopresatta, the wine!!! do your family and friends a favour and book Gianni now.

Visited June 2013
Dear Baffinisle,
your happy group of 20 people was very easy to please.
I enjoyed your company and I enjoyed that 2009 Chianti Riserva as well! :-)
I hope to walk and taste wine with you again!