“excellent authentic place”

Ranked #68 of 542 Restaurants in Siena
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 15, 2013

we arrived there by our host (PEO - casacenti ) recommendation , and enjoyed well from the atmosphere , the food and the service . the prices is average and worth .

Write a ReviewReviews (3,202)

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I've lived in Siena for nine months now and I was surpised to read some of the impressions of Papei here. Papei is a fun, family-owned place with friendly waiters from all over the place who might pour themselves a glass of wine at your table, have a good time along with you and remember your name when you come back. It's not the fanciest place around but on any given night you'll find people who have been coming here for years, both Italians and foreigners, and there's a reason for that. Have a nice long dinner and you will probably get a limoncello on the house. It's the opposite of a tourist trap, good luck getting a reservation if it's near the Palio or there are graduation parties happening, Italians will elbow you out of the way. But it's worth trying if you'd like to get a sense of Sienese hospitality.

Reviewed September 27, 2013

I knew at some distance that this restaurant was going to be good. Some places you just know that. Trattoria Papei is an a lovely market square in the back streets behind the city square (South Side). The square is open at one end and looks over lovely fields and gardens (well worth a walk here before or after eating). As I approached, I could see how busy this restaurant was and how the waiters bustled about serving customers with enthusiasm and happy faces. This atmosphere showed a promise of good food. I strolled over and read the menu. Quickly a waiter approached and offered to help me. He spoke English. I chatted to him but to be honest this did not please me. I avoid tourist restaurants. The young man was casual and friendly, however. He was not pushy.

"I might come back tonight with my wife," I told him.
"I hope so," he said, maybe I'll see you."

Yeah and maybe you won't, I said to myself. I was looking for something quiet and local. Something that was more about the food than whether it had a Trip Advisor sticker on the window :)

Later my wife and I walked through the lovely gardens and into the square. I pointed out the restaurant. She walked over and was very taken by it. We sat down and my friendly waiter from earlier came over. "Ah you came back!" he smiled. He introduced us to some of his friends at an adjacent table. They seemed very pleasant but didn't pester us. The menu looked great and I ordered some Cingale (wild boar) with a mixed salad and a carafe of red wine. My wife ordered a dish of roasted vegetables and some fried potatoes. The food was very good. Good enough to tempt me into a desert which was also delicious. All in all a very good meal but made all the nicer by the friendly service and a complimentary glass of grappa. He simply placed the bottle on the table and told me to help myself. Very trusting (or very clever).

Reviewed September 26, 2013

We found this restaurant thanks to Michelin and Fodor's recommendations. Papei serves high quality, local cooking with friendly, efficient service. The Tuscan vegetable and bread soup was excellent and the boar stew was the best of many game dishes we tried in Tuscany. The staff was very helpful with food and wine suggestions and seemed eager to be sure that we were satisfied. I definitely expect to return the next time we are in Siena.

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Papei's was recommended by the host of the B&B we stayed at. The service was excellent! The food was good, typical Italian. My husband did have a fillet and it was served perfectly med rare and covered with a delicious gravy. I did not care for the Chianti but it was not awful.
We would go back.
Siena is a gorgeous town and we hope to spend more time here in the future.

1  Thank Kathiewebb