“Nice place to eat.”

Ranked #116 of 552 Restaurants in Siena
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 26, 2013

Papei's was recommended by the host of the B&B we stayed at. The service was excellent! The food was good, typical Italian. My husband did have a fillet and it was served perfectly med rare and covered with a delicious gravy. I did not care for the Chianti but it was not awful.
We would go back.
Siena is a gorgeous town and we hope to spend more time here in the future.

1  Thank Kathiewebb
Write a ReviewReviews (3,432)

Reviewed September 26, 2013

Bad food which was prepared for us within 5 minutes of ordering and was cold and tasteless. Rudest staff I have ever seen.

1  Thank b_6159
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Spent our last night in Siena at this lively restaurant sitting outside under the shadow of the back of city hall.

Service was good and we had a fun evening dining and listening to street musicians wandering in and out. The house wine was good and so was the food, although can't say it couldn't have been better.

1  Thank nancyen
Reviewed September 17, 2013

We had dinner there as it was recommended to us (if we wanted to have dinner in Siena)

It wasn't bad, wasn't great either. The staff was helpful and polite, the service quick and efficient, and not too expensive in general, so I wouldn't discourage you if you had no other choice.

We had a bruschetta with tomatoes and olive oil, which wasn't bad, pasta (which was surprisingly the low point of the dinner) and stewed rabbit (which was very good).
At the end, they offered us dessert free of charge, which I really liked, and some leftover wine from the table next to ours (?!)

So, overall, not bad, just average

Reviewed September 16, 2013

This is my favorite restaurant in all of Siena. The food is all home-made, right there with a view to the kitchen. If there is a bit of a wait it's because your food is made to order, but there's plenty to see as this is filled with Senese. I have been going to Papei for the last 14 years, every time I visit and always thrilled to see what is new but always looking forward to the Pici al cingiale or Papparadelle or Spinaci...The wait staff is like family, most of them have been there forever and they are so welcoming. There aren't enough stars to put next to Antica Trattoria Papei, it is A+, and perfect.

1  Thank Yvonne A