“Very comfortable and tasty dinner!”

Grotta di Santa Caterina
Ranked #39 of 574 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 2, 2018 via mobile

We chose "Grotta" due to tripadvisor and we were not disappointed. Sitting outside on the veranda next to a small street in Siena, watching people passing we had very comfortable dinner! Staff was very friendly and the dishes (pasta / meat / dessert) were all really tasty! Try the Tuscan specialities , they are really worth it!!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,567)

Reviewed August 28, 2018 via mobile

Also known as Bagoga. Very good food - pheasant and casserole of wild boar with salad and spinach, preceded by antipasti which was all normal Tuscan specialities (excluding lardo). Lots of flavour and well executed, good and friendly service in an atmospheric restaurant dedicated to the Palio. This was my second visit and it certainly won’t be my last! Thank you

Reviewed August 27, 2018

We were in Siena at Palio so reservations are a must. We went here at the suggestion of our host and had no reservations. They were spot on as to timing, the chef himself making room for us. The staff is wonderful, humorous at times. This is a very pleasant place to eat.

Reviewed August 22, 2018 via mobile

First of all I speak a bit of Italian and I make it a point to be understood wether is in italian, spanish or english.
That said we came to this place because it it was steps from our apartment.
I’ve had great dining experiences in Siena, but this in our last night.
I ordered chicken breast with potatoes, I was brought steak. I did not fight it because I’m not about returning food, I knew it was about 7 euros more expensive.
My steak was almost alive, I left around an 8oz piece to be re cooked because again, it was heavily undercooked, I mean read borderline alive. I was brought a 2oz piece red as hell as well. If you cook an 8oz piece of steak it maybe becomes a 6oz, not a 2oz raw steak.
Service was poor. Food was lame and overpriced. Don’t come here. Go to Trattoria Papei, you’ll have better value for your money.

4  Thank FridaMicaela
Reviewed August 20, 2018

This was a suggestion of our B&B. They seated us for an early dinner during Palio, very accommodating. The place is wonderful, the food is delicious, service is impeccable.