“A wonderful restaurant with some of the best food in Italy!”

Osteria Enoteca Sotto Le Fonti
Ranked #12 of 530 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A wonderful restaurant with some of the best food in Italy!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We are always greeted with a warm welcome when we visit this fantastic restaurant. I cannot recommend it highly enough - truly delicious, traditional and fresh Tuscan food that is prepared with care and attention to detail. A favourite amongst our family is the pappardelle with wild boar ragu! Britta and her husband are a great team and make you feel at home from the minute you go in, it is a perfect haven to refuel after a long day's sightseeing in Siena!

• Visited August 2013

• Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Oostkamp, Belgium
“fantastic place”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

During our stay in Tuscany we went to Siena en had a lovely meal in this osteria.
Its a little bit out of the center but it was worth the walk.
Great typical food and wine for a reasonable price.
Very friendly people,we definitely can recommend this osteria.

Family Damman Belgium

• Visited July 2013
Copenhagen Region, Denmark
“Cosy place with decent, good tasting italian food”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Me and my husband eated at Osteria Enoteca Sotto Le Fonti when visiting Siena - as we stayed close by.
We had a very good evening at the little Osteria. The lady who owns it is very nice and good for recommending the wine. Not the biggest winecard, but wines which are very good for the price! The food is very decent, fresh tasting italian food. Not something fancy pancy, but if you are looking for a true authentic italian experience with focus on fresh local food and dishes - then go here. We were not disappointed.
I would recommend it if you are looking for a place outside the citywall with simple local italian food. Very delicious and fresh!

As a starter we had a tomato salat, unfortunately not with buffalo mozzarella, yet very tasty. Futhermore some local pork ham and fresh salad.
My main course were really tender beef and a spinach, whereas my husband went for the ravioli. Both very tasty. For dessert I had a socalled "chocolate sausage" with different nuts and my husband a white chocolate mousse. My dessert were the disappoint of the evening; using cream from a can and the chocolate sausage was not something special at all. I should have taken the vine santo and cantuccini instead - but my husband was very pleased with his choise. Having said that I was not into the my dessert, I must admit that (despite being a woman) I am not the dessert-type.

The view is very impressing as you are looking out on the chuches and cathedrals of Sienna.

I would recommend this place.

• Visited July 2013
VolpiinToscana, Proprietario at Osteria Enoteca Sotto Le Fonti, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Buon giorno from Siena! I am happy you took your time to write a review, thank you very much for the compliments:-)))) I just wanted to make clear some points you mentioned: In our winelist we offer110 different wines and grappa, mainly from Tuscan wineries but also from the rest of Italy. I know for sure it's a LOT for a small restaurant like ours! For the Caprese salad we ONLY use Buffalo mozzarella, I am very sorry you did not aprreciate it. The "chocolate sausage" is a typical Senese dessert made off dark chocolate, cacao and almonds, all homemade like all the other desserts on our menu. I sincerly hope to see you again in Siena, best regards, Britta
Santa Fe, NM
“Fabulous Food, Warm Hospitality”
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We were in Siena for a week with a photography workshop group and ate here one night based on Trip Advisor reviews. It was one of the best meals of the week, and, in fact, the group voted to come here again for our last dinner together.

The food is inventive, fresh, locally sourced and expertly prepared. Britta, who owns the restaurant with hubby, Roberto, made wonderful recommendations on both food and wine and put together several custom appetizer platters so that we could all have a taste of the most popular dishes. One of the favorites was the pecorino cheese, slightly melted and wrapped in prosciutto. We were served prosecco as we were seated and also enjoyed vin santo at the end of the meal--all part of the price of the meal.

Service was warm, yet efficient. I received an email reminder from Britta the day before our reservation that included directions for finding the restaurant (it lies just outside the old city wall but is easily reached at the bottom of the escalators).

This restaurant deserves it's top-ten ranking among Siena restaurants and I would recommend it to anyone visiting the city. Grazie mille, Britta and Roberto!

• Visited June 2013
Madison, Alabama
“Favorite Dinner in Italy”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

My family had a wonderful dining experience just as recommended by other reviews! I had emailed Britta before our trip and she gave me walking directions from our hotel and mentioned reservations. Definitely a good idea as it is an intimate, warm dining room with limited tables. Britta is a gracious hostess and took care of us with welcoming drinks and wonderful recommendations for dinner and dessert. I had the spaghetti carbonara which was delicious! Others in my family had some of the more unique entrees which were also good. Dessert was house recipe tirimisu and chocolate "sausage", both fabulous! This was my favorite dinner of a 10 day trip!

• Visited June 2013