“Best restaurant in Siena!”

Osteria Enoteca Sotto Le Fonti
Ranked #15 of 541 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My meal was very good. Great quality, especially for the price. The service was fantastic. I loved that it was homemade and fresh.

VolpiinToscana, Direttore at Osteria Enoteca Sotto Le Fonti, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Hello! Thank you so much for the excellent review! Hope to see you again in Siena, all the best, Britta

Reviewed May 21, 2013

Recommend by a new friend (Ninfa) we met in the tuscanny area, arrived early in the evening. The restaurant was not yet open as they were still having a family supper, yet they welcomed us in introduced us to the family and set a place for the two of us. Poured us a glass of wine and started to prepare us the best meal we have had in all of Italy. While after supper and relaxing as it was still early for any other supper guest to arrive, Britta sat with us and as the conversation went she inquired what country we were from, We said Canada she asked where in Canada, we stated Alberta. Britta said that she had spent some time in Alberta in a small town as an exchange student. Just so happens that it was the same town I grew up in. Small world. The restaurant has a wonderful atmosphere and the home made food is top notch. Finishing the great evening off with the tiramisu was just a perfect ending.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

Osteria Enoteca Sotto le Fonti is a cosy, pretension-free restaurant where we could pick from a nice selection of regional and local wine and taste some foods that were well prepared with quality ingredients. We sampled all of the Tuscan wines offered by the glass (all good quality) to accompany our light dinner which included a tasty variety of Sienese meat, pecorino cheese and perfectly grilled vegetables. We liked it so much that we came back the evening after! We enjoyed a bottle of wine and ate the T-bone steak, which was grilled to a perfect rosé and was very flavourful. We ended off the meal with the chocolate sausage and tiramisu, which were both delicious (not too sweet and had a nice balance of flavours and texture to our taste). On top of the nice atmosphere and excellent food, I cannot commend the proprietors enough for their excellent customer service- from their warm welcome, to the chef showing us the steak before cooking it, to taking their time to have a look under the table to help me find my bracelet. We'll be back to taste the rest of the menu!

VolpiinToscana, Proprietario at Osteria Enoteca Sotto Le Fonti, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Buon giorno! What a beautiful review - you made my day! Of course I rember you, I will never forget how happy you were when you got the bracelet back! We hope also to see you a third time.All the best from Siena, Britta and Roberto and all the staff!

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Went to this restaurant on our last night in Siena after looking at reviews on tripadviser. We arrived with no reservation and although the place was very busy the owner managed to fit us in. The restaurant itself is nicely decorated and homely with a lovely atmosphere. We had a three course meal each with wine and everything was exceptional. My husband had the veal which looked amazing and I had beef on a bed of rocket with shaves of parmesan which was so simple but tasted amazing! Great service, very friendly and good value for money.

VolpiinToscana, Proprietario at Osteria Enoteca Sotto Le Fonti, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2013

Buon giorno!
Thank you so much for your review! I am sorry for replying this late, but we are - fortunately - very busy:-) I really appreciated that you enjoyed everything so much, I remember it was a busy night so I am very glad you have been so happy with us! All the best from Siena - Britta e Roberto

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We chose this restaurant before we arrived in Tuscany, looking through TA and other recommendations in travel guides, and booked a table by email. It is a bit out of the centre, a couple of minutes down the hill from Porta Fontebranda, but it's worth the effort to go.

Run by married couple Britta who runs the front of house and Roberto in the kitchen, this has the feel of an authentic local family run restaurant. The service is friendly and the ambience relaxed and informal. Their aim is to showcase the wonderful local produce that surrounds this area, although there are nice individual touches on the menu too.

We began with a mixed antipasti of crostini with various toppings, prosciutto and salami from the local Cinta Sienese pig, Pecorino cheese from Pienza and some vegetable accompaniments. We then all chose the Papardelle with Cinghiale (wild boar) another local speciality, and I have to say I ate a version of this dish in a couple of other places during our holiday, but this was the best. Lovely fresh pasta and very tasty boar.

Our main course of Pork steak with juniper sauce was nice, the pork very tender, but was probably my least favourite dish of the night, I wasn't overly keen on the sauce and I felt it overwhelmed the pork a bit, not at all bad, just not as good as the rest of the meal.
Desserts were excellent, 2 of us went for the apple cake with cinnamon and anise which was delicious, and the special ricotta cake, a recipe from Roberto's native Naples, was superb, and a refreshing personal item on the menu you wouldn't get anywhere else in Siena.
The wine list was very good, with mostly Tuscan wines, and we chose a Piombaia Rosso di Montalcino, which complemented our meals nicely.

Although quiet when we arrived, the restaurant became quite busy for a Monday with just the 2 of them on duty, and over 20 customers, and they managed very well, and the service was very good all evening. I would give 4 and a half out of 5 if I could, and I would like to wish Britta and Roberto all the best for the future. Keep up the great work!