“Fabulous food, warm welcome”

Osteria Enoteca Sotto Le Fonti
Ranked #15 of 541 Restaurants in Siena
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 26, 2011

Just outside the city walls is what has become our favourite restaurant in Italy. It's far enough to get away from the crowds but close enough to walk off your fabulous meal. For 3 years Britta & I have exchanged emails, family news & pictures.This year we travelled back with 6 friends and couldn't wait to show off this little gem. From the minute you walk in the door & meet Britta (she & her husband, Roberto are the owners), you are charmed. The food is fabulous, the wine selection terrific and the atmosphere relaxing. My husbands favourite is any choice of pasta with the wild boar sauce or the florentine steak or the veal, oh, let's face it, it's all his favourite especially the chocolate cake for dessert. I have to agree with all his selections. In Siena, this restaurant is our 'home' away from home. Our friends were won over as well. If you go, say hi & big hugs to Britta, Roberto & their children from Cindy & Andrew in Halifax, NS, Canada.

Reviewed May 19, 2011

This is well worth a visit. The food was local and cooked well and the wine was excellent. I would go back there again if I had the chance.

Reviewed May 6, 2011

Just outside the city walls this small restaurant really lived up to all the reviews we had read. It was a quiet lunchtime when we were there with just a few other visitors. The welcome we got from the owner was great. She recommended a super wine and we had a selection of small dishes to share as we were not too hungry. HIghlight were the blood sausage brusccetta, a plate of pork and my favourite the ravioli with pear. Never had this combination before but it was stunning. Sienna is I guess always crowded but you would never have guessed but here we felt as though we had stepped into a quieter, traditional Tuscan restaruant where there was time to spare, a friendly welcome and clealry a chef who is passionate about local prodcue and his dishes.

2  Thank TravelerFarnhamUK
Reviewed May 4, 2011

We thoroughly enjoyed our food and the evening we spent at Osteria Enoteca Sotto le Fonti. We were met with a warm welcome and the dining room had a relaxed and pleasant atmosphere. The menu had many interesting traditional and local dishes which made chosing difficult! I would love to go back to try some of the wonderful sounding dishes that we didn't get to try this time. We also had delicious wines and to finish it off I had the most amazing homemade ricotta cake (it was absolutely perfect, high praise indeed). The staff were very warm and helpful and the service was great.
We would highly recommend this restaurant to others visiting Siena.

Reviewed May 2, 2011

We were eight people who explored beyong the city wall of Siena and arrived at Sotto le Fonti, where we met Britta, the owner. What a great time. Britta could not have been more delightful while her husband and chef is the kitchen artist. Our group was vegetarian and we'd eat fish, but the highlight (for me) was the home made pasta with shaved truffles. Everyone's food was stellar. We spent several hours there loving this little slice of Siena. We will go back.