“If you love meat”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed September 28, 2012

We loved it, although in touristic centre, authentic feeling. Great pate, yummy maincourse, but you have to love meat.. There's no pizza. Great wines there to.

There are newer reviews for Osteria Del Carcere

Reviewed September 27, 2012

This restaurant was recommended to us both by our host and the lonely planet, so we couldn't
go past it. On entering, the cakes in the display window looked amazing, which sealed the deal - unfortunately we didn't have any room for dessert after a great meal! It's quite an upmarket place, with a fantastic atmosphere and great service. The food was excellent, a dish of mixed pate was more what I would call sliced terrine but was very good, and one of the side dishes was a tart of vegetables (mostly spinach) in the most divine pastry. An older woman appeared to be making more little tart cases behind the counter, and I really wish I'd had room to try one of the fruit pies for dessert. Not the best meal I've had in Tuscany (although the competition is stiff!) but very good.

Reviewed September 25, 2012

We pop in here based on a recommendation from a friend. The food is classic italian hug-me farmhouse food. Lovely meat courses, simple flavours.
I can't see people being WOW'ed by this place BUT the food is very good and really does give you a different taste of Italy compared to the "classic dishes" that are everywhere.
The Pate mix was lovely, rich rich flavours and great bread.
The Tuscany Bean soup was wonderfully lumpy and tastey. The wild boar dish served cold was simple but tastey - but maybe the weaker of the dishes we had. The Turkey stuffed roll (the picture someone else has posted) was lovely and a fav of us both.
Enjoy this place for a change of the standard food.

Reviewed August 31, 2012

Osteria Del Carcere was one of my favourite restaurants my first time in San Gimignano. Second time around it was just as good! The menu is laid out in a way that is to be followed - don't expect meat and 3 veg altogether, but do expect simple ingredients, wonderfully prepared. The wine menu is amazing, the service quirky but friendly. I will certainly return on my next trip to San Gimignano!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

This restaurant was very different from any other experiencd so far this holiday. There are no pasta dishes at all, which completely threw us, but instead a list of soups! It was too hot for these...so the sections of the menu to choose from were ...crostini, pâtés, soups, cold meats and meat dishes. My husband's face fell, but he soldiered on, and we ordered a platter of mixed crostini, mixed pates and mixed cold meats and cheeses to share between the 4 of us..with an endless supply of bread. The service was not what I would call friendly, but it was very efficient, and what really impressed me was that they had cut every piece of pâté and every crostini into 4 pieces so we could easily share everything. I thought everything was extremely tasty and enjoyed the experience, but my husband and children were hankering after some pasta, so for them, it wasn't what they were looking forward to. For something different I would definitely recommend this place, and I was impressed with the quality of food, and the attention to detail given to the way it was served to us. But if you want a traditional menu, this may not be for you.

1  Thank samandgabysmum