“A nice spot that could be great!”
Review of L'Officina del cacio - CLOSED

L'Officina del cacio
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Newly opened small restaurant in San Gimignano offering delicate house-made traditional Tuscany dishes. Lovely atmosphere, splendid service!Our menu is made according to seasonal fresh products, coming from local producers and farmers. Every day we're going to the market and look for the best vegetables and fruits.
Reviewed November 8, 2012

We spotted the place when doing laundry - at the laundramat down the hill from the restaurant.
The lady who runs the place is a delight!
Our appetizers/wine/ beer/ bread/ desserts were all exceptional.
The breads are in-house creations.
The mains were a disappointment. Our friends had lasagna and it was dried out and awful.
Our pastas were so/so.
A bit of a let down! As we only ate once - perhaps a bad day for the mains!
However, we are better here and at a better price than anywhere inside the walls!

Reviewed September 14, 2012

We have visited this restaurant by the reviews read on tripadvisor and were really disappointed.. It is actually the first disappointment on the Italian cuisine during our holidays (and I hope the last) :)
When the menus were presented, the waitress explained that some dishes she don't have and they are replaced by another.. Ok, doesn't matter, it is really not a season..
We ordered two bruschettas for starters: one with salami, cheese and marinated onions- it was delicious! But my boyfriend wasn't so happy cause his bruschetta with salad, cheese and pine nuts was really too salty! After we ordered lasagne and pork with plums accompanied with roasted potatoes. The wine that we wanted to taste they didn't have, actually the waitress told that she has only one sort of red wine so we took two glasses. They were really well filled, that's a generosity! But when we tried, we understood why :D It was a bit bubbly and acid..
When I got my lasagne which was described as with bechamel sauce and ragu (something like bolognese), I was surprised cause it seemed that it wasn't freshly cooked- the meat on the top was very dry (inside, by the way, too) and there was no sauce at all (nor bechamel, nor tomato).
The main dish of my boyfriend was ok, pork was tasty, but roasted potatoes were too burnt. And at the end, when we asked for our bill, the waitress asked if we had some coins (which we hadn't), so she dared to bring us less change :D
I don't know what happened to their kitchen, but it seems like it was really different from the reviews I've read :(

Reviewed September 2, 2012

We had the best meal of our two-week trip to Italy here. The food is delicious -- creative but traditional -- and the service is excellent.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I visited this new and unique restaurant during our recent
> stay in Tuscany. It is located a short pleasant walk off from the main
> tourist street of this very popular tourist hilltop town.
> The intimate dining room feels like you’re entering a home, not just another
> restaurant. The décor features paintings from local artists which change on
> a monthly basis. When we were there, the table accessories had been
> carefully coordinated with the wall paintings, giving a visual harmony to
> the room.
> Paolo, the owner of the restaurant explained that it’s his goal to provide
> his customers with a multi-sensory experience, with the art and food feeding
> your soul and body simultaneously…a very pleasant concept. The humorous
> menu features local wines (there’s a book of the wine labels to help you
> make your selection!), local produce, and wonderful cheeses from a variety
> of local cheese makers.
> The food was simply delicious, with great care given to the artistic
> presentation. Fresh flavors, beautifully presented…how Tuscan is that??
> Next time you’re in San Gimignano and would like to indulge in a truly
> authentic Tuscan experience, do yourself a favor and get off the tourist
> thoroughfare. Walk that extra block to L’Officina de cacio RistorArte where
> you’ll find delicious food prepared using local ingredients, local art, and
> that special hospitality we like to associate with this magical part of the
> world.

3  Thank jdennist
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Last night I was in San Gimignano with my husband and we had dinner at this lovely restaurant called Offcina del Cacio. It's located outside Porta San Matteo, just about 10 steps away. It has a nice dehors with flowers and aromatic herbs.
The food was delicious and I love the fact that everything was fresh and handmade. Even the bread and pasta are handmade, and the black bread with sunflower's seeds was incredible!
The owner-waitress was really nice and the service was perfect. She explained me that they arrange the menu according to seasonal products coming from the surroundings and what we have for dinner depends also on what she found at the market in the morning. I think it's a great idea and you can taste the difference!
Another thing that stroke me it's that some of recipes comes directly from the Middles Ages or the Renaissance. For example we had some "crostoni", bread with different toppings, and the crostoni with orange and cinnamon or the with finocchiona (Tuscan ham) and fennel. Or as a second dish you can taste fillet of pork with plums. All these plates come from the Middle Ages and were excellent.
We also had a special cheese tastings. I love cheese and it was heaven!!!
I strongly recommend it!