I can't say enough about this place. It has every amenity one could desire. It is extremely clean and modern. The food is great. The staff is great. The location is great.
I call it a manor hotel because of its location and because it is only two floors high. It reminded me of the manors I've seen in the English Countryside.
We stumbled on it by sheer luck on an evening walk after we'd checked into our nearby farmhouse hotel (Fattoria) that didn't have a restaurant. Not wanting to drive the 10 km back from San Gimignano in the dark after drinking and dining we stopped in to this hotel and they allowed us to dine at their restaurant (normally reserved for guests). We asked to see some rooms and quickly booked our remaining 4 nights with them.
We got the 2nd-story 100 Euro room with a splendid view out into the spacious back yard and surrounding hills (see photo).
The countryside was SO beautiful and SO peaceful. The stars at night were astounding, due to the lack of light pollution.
Every one of the staff, from the gardner to the room maids to the front desk to the restaurant to the morning breakfast, were very pleasant, helpful, and accommodating.
The food preparation and the food and wine choices at the restaurant were excellent.
The breakfast, included in the room price as is the custom in Europe, was outstanding–really high quality; not just a few pieces of cheese and dried bread slapped together. We loved to eat in the outdoor patio overlooking the back yard (see photo) and they raised the plastic curtains and rolled back the roof for us each morning to accommodate that (see photo).
They gave us suggestions of little hilltop towns off the beaten tourist track (e.g., Certaldo) to visit. Also, hiking that we could do.
Being late in the season the swimming pool was closed but it looked like it would be very inviting in the hot summer.
Like many other places in the region, the hotel closes down for the Winter Season early in November but our time in mid-October was just perfect for us.
Our time here turned out to be the highlight of the 1 month we spent in Italy and, after the hustle/bustle of Rome, Venice, and Florence, gave us a really nice opportunity to relax.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Casolare Le Terre Rosse is only five minutes away from San Gimignano and is surrounded by a beautiful park. Thanks to the Niccolini family, this elegant farmhouse, tucked away in nature, was turned into a small gem of Tuscan hospitality. At Casolare le Terre Rosse you will experience a unique, warm and cosy atmosphere and will have the chance to live close to nature while enjoying the food and culture of this incomparable land. You can relax in our bright rooms or in our elegant country-style apartments and enjoy the Tuscan countryside while having breakfast, or you may relax at the spillway pool, where you can restore your energy. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Hotel Casolare le Terre Rosse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Casolare Terre Rosse
- Hotel Casolare Le Terre Rosse San Gimignano, Italy - Tuscany