“Viator "Tuscany in One Day" Tour Stop”

Fattoria Poggio Alloro
Ranked #1 of 129 Restaurants in San Gimignano
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At our restaurant we offer a fix menu for both lunch and dinner. The meals are served in long tables with the other guests as family style. We offer Wine tasting with tour of the farm. For wine tasting, lunch and dinner reservation is needed.
Chicago, Illinois
“Viator "Tuscany in One Day" Tour Stop”
Reviewed August 7, 2014

While staying solo in Florence, I booked a day trip through Viator called "Tuscany in One Day." I highly recommend that tour, but will focus in this review on our first stop in San Gimignano, Fattoria Poggio Alloro. It is a winery and restaurant, whose food is largely grown on their land, as well.
The hospitality of those at Poggio Alloro was awesome - they were incredibly friendly, and had us eating within minutes of our arrival. I ordered a vegetarian dish, though I am not strictly vegetarian, and my entire meal was yummy and totally satisfying. The pasta was homemade rotini with a light and delicious tomato sauce, and my entree was a plain egg omelette with super yummy roasted potatoes. It was a perfectly satisfying, very filling meal, and much more than I expected from a tour that simply "included" lunch. We tasted a number of wines...I want to say four plus a grappa? Don't quote me on that. But they were very generous with those samples, opening bottles and just leaving them on the table. I liked that a lot, as I was mostly a fan of the cabernet; so I tried everything a little, and then had basically a couple small glasses of cabernet!

The views from the restaurant are AMAZING. Just so incredibly beautiful, Tuscan countryside. It was an overcast day, which might have been a bummer except that it created really cool shadows on the hills and lakes/ponds. The restaurant is situated up a hill, so it overlooks a lot and you can see quite far, including the towers of San Gimignano "city center."

Definitely recommend this, though I would guess it's out of the way for anyone NOT on a tour. It seemed like they were so well prepared for our large group, that the bulk of their business must be large tours coming to see the winery (which was not really part of our tour; the view included their grapes, but I can't comment on the actual winery or whether that's even ever part of a tour there).

• Visited January 2014

• Greek first
  • Turkish first
Munich, Germany
“Great wine tasting place”
Reviewed August 6, 2014

The view from her to San Gimignano is great and has some great wines and cheese. Also very nice pasta. You can also stay overnight here with a beautiful pool facing San Gimignano views.

• Visited June 2014
Austin, Texas
“Personal attention!”
Reviewed August 2, 2014

This great wine, cheese and meat shop was amazing. You can tell that the owner really loves her business because she's so excited when talking about everything. Lots of free samples and great service. A must visit!

• Visited May 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Highlight of Tuscany”
Reviewed July 25, 2014

Enjoyed and got into agriturismo in Tuscany
Too bad only found out about this place and did a set lunch...
Loved the organic food, wine and the magnificent view of San Gimignano city and lake.
Really loved this farm and how diverse it is.
If I come back, would definitely look into staying here as well.

• Visited August 2013
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
“Idyllic”
Reviewed July 10, 2014

We had spent the morning with a private guide, Donatella, exploring Siena and she led us toward San Gimignano. She said we would stop at a little farm for lunch, "is that ok?".
Well what a surprise, whilst we were expecting a sample of local fare we got so much more. The staff and family introduced themselves and were exemplary in their attention, friendliness and service.
What was described as a light lunch was simply amazing and kept us well satiated.
The "light lunch" was in fact, really 4 courses of bruschetta, tagliatelle, meats/cheeses, cake and coffee. in addition two wines plus a dessert wine.
BUT WAIT, there's more!!
The location is on a hill looking down over various surrounding valleys, but the highlight is the view straight across to San Gimignano. The bonus, we had a spectacular day of circa 23degrees which was just wonderful.
So, all this for less than aus$30, should not be missed.
An idyllic location, with good honest food and lovely hosts.

• Visited June 2014