“Beautiful views but wines are short of delivering”

Fattoria Poggio Alloro
More attraction details
Owner description: At our restaurant we offer a fix menu for both lunch and dinner. The meals are served in long tables with the other guests as family style. Light lunch service from 12.30 to 2.30 pm. Dinner is served at 8 pm. Our restaurant is closed on Tuesday night for dinner. Wine tasting with tour of the farm at 10.30 am, 3 pm, 4 pm and 5 pm. ( From October to April last wine tasting and tour at 4 pm) Please arrive 5 minutes earlier, in case of late arrival the tour is not guranteed. For wine tasting, lunch and dinner reservation is needed.
San Jose, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Beautiful views but wines are short of delivering”
Reviewed August 5, 2013

I visited this organic farm on a tour group from Florence. The farm staff were great and the tour was very interesting. The views from their balcony are gorgeous! Unfortunately the wines were okay but not good enough to motivate me to buy which isn't difficult to accomplish. None the less I'm glad I visited as the information I learned here about Tuscan wines was invaluable.

Visited May 2013

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“A must do in Tuscany if you love Wine”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We ended up at Fattoria Poggio Allora as part of a Best of Tuscany Tour put on by WalkaboutFlorence. First off the views of wine country and this winery are great from their 250 acre property. We got a small tour of the vineyards, olive trees, cows etc. The farm has a great view of San Gimignano off in the distance and the rolling hills of vineyard after vineyard.

After the tour we were brought inside for our lunch and wine tastings, 1 White, 2 Reds and a desert wine. The white was pleasant and enjoyable, then they brought on the two reds (Chianti), one young and qua-fable and the other matured for a while. I preferred the aged one but then again who doesn't when compared side by side. The meal was simple multi course Italian Family food which I found good considering the number they needed to feed (not gourmet just the standards using farm fresh ingredients).

I wish I could have spent more time here but we had a schedule. We ended up buying the aged chianti to take back to our room for our evening meal. They do provide an option to ship wine back home for those who live in states that allow it. For those that care, this is a organic farm which is something I prefer.

Visited July 2013
London, United Kingdom
“A Tuscan Gem!”
Reviewed July 2, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights during a driving holiday around Tuscany and this was by far the best place we stayed. What an amazing experience. The landscape is stunning and San Gimignano can be seen in the distance and is a short drive away. The wine and food at the fattoria is incredible and the service is outstanding. Dinner consists of a set multi-course meal which includes wine, desserts, dessert wine and coffee. The meal changes every night and is served outside (weather permitting) where you can view the spectacular views while eating. The staff are so helpful and work very hard to keep you happy. Breakfast is included and consists of a great buffet and they make each person fresh eggs and coffee. The fattoria is surrounded by other vineyards, so you are not far from a vareity of other wine-tastings if you wish. I can't say enough good things about this place. Wish I could have stayed longer! We will be back for sure.

Visited June 2013
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
145 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 271 helpful votes
“A MUST DO IN TUSCANY!”
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Part of an all day best of Tuscany tour through Walkabout tours, it was SOOO cool to come here. As soon as we all arrived, they had our places set,wine ready for tasting & bruschetta with their olive oil. The olive oil is prob the best I've ever had. The white wine was great although I prefer reds, Chianti was next with the main course, pasta ragu...SO GOOD! I wanted more. Then the meat & cheeses-also VERY yummy along with the Cabernet. Then biscotti & dessert wine. We had insanely beautiful photo opps & could buy everything they made on the farm in their store. They ship to wherever you need. Then after we toured the winery & were even able to meet their newest additions to the farm, a 12 day old calf. SO cute! Loved every minute of this place-wish we could have stayed longer. MUST STOP HERE!

Visited May 2013
The Woodlands, Texas
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“This is what Tuscany is all about!!”
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This farm/vinyard was part of a Tuscany in a Day tour we booked through Viator but conducted by Walk About Florence. This was our lunch stop as well as a visit to an organic farm in Tuscany. Everything about this place was so impressive; from the outdoor seated lunch with a view of the hills and San Gimignano in the distance, to their organic extra-virgin oilve oil pressed locally, to their four separate types of wines they produce at the farm. In addition, they produce saffron at this farm as well.

The beauty of this place is that everything is natural and grown or produced at the farm (except for pecorino cheese, which they get from another farm). They even have the famous Chianina cattle at this farm. The chef/general manager at this farm, a lady by the name of Sarah Fioroni, has written a book called a Family Farm in Tuscany and has great recipes in it. As a matter of fact, she has been on several tours in the US teaching Tuscan cooking.

If you are into real food, the natural, wholesome, farm-grown, non-GMO type, this place is like heaven! I brought back their product list and will be ordering some supplies over the internet. By the way, I am told that they also have accomodations at this farm, if you are into agritourismo!

Visited April 2013