“10 points to Capanna di Sovestro !!!!”

and 1 more site!
La Capanna di Sovestro
Reviewed December 6, 2013

We are a couple and We want to share our beautiful experience in this fantastic place. You can wake up with a breathtaking panorama, in the Middle of San Gimignano's hills. A fantastic breakfast waits you when you'll wake up, with croissant, marmellate, yogurt s, fruits juice, and a top cappuccino. The apartment was clean and tidy, and we didn't miss anything.
We want to advise this place also because of owner's availability and kindness. Bye bye and have a good holidays in tuscany and in Capanna di Sovestro so ;)

Room Tip: The apartment downstairs
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Marco D

Reviewed November 21, 2013

I was excited to stay at the Cappanna di Sovestro based on the highly positive reviews and ratings. This was a mistake because the 5 circle rating is far from deserved. Based on Damiano's suggestion we booked the apartment for 3 - my husband & me and our friend. We were charged 100 euro per night including breakfast.

What we liked: Bruno, who tried very hard to communicate with us, (The son, Damiano, who speaks English, was not on the premises during our 3 night stay), MarieStella's homemade cake at breakfast , and bless Bruno who trekked up & down bringing fresh coffee for breakfast from his home above.

What we didn't like: The apartment was dank, dark and dangerous. The dankness consisted of a very musty, mildewy odor exacerbated by the darkness. The upholstered chair and couch in the combo bed/sitting room felt moist to the touch. There were four layers of window coverings- 2 outside and 2 inside: it was difficult to open any windows due to this and their awkward to reach location above the bed and the couch. We left the bathroom fan on one day when we were gone in hopes of improving the air circulation but it was turned off when we got back. As for the dangers, there were several. Our friend's single bedroom was on the 2nd floor and reached by a winding staircase that had no permanent railing on the upstairs landing, just a few artificial plants and a coat tree C-clamped to the landing. Other dangers were the steep, blind drive that required someone standing in the road to help guide my husband as he backed out, and the steep stairs from the top of the drive to the apartment that were lit at night only when there was motion. These lights went intermittently dark on us as we ascended them. Overall, the décor was unusual. The bedding was unique- the queen bed on the main floor was covered with a blue sateen spread overlaid with a lace coverlet- the blanket underneath was orange fleece imprinted with cows. Bath towels were thin and of varied colors and patterns. There were lots of artificial flowers and greenery all over. We didn't use the kitchen except for needing wine glasses of which there were none so tumblers had to suffice. There was a card with the free wifi access information in the apt. but we couldn't log on so gave up. Frankly, had we been able to connect to the internet, we'd have booked other accommodations for nights 2 & 3. There were several TVs in the apartment but because the remotes had missing batteries they were unusable. Breakfast was served in a small shed-like cabin about 30 feet from the apartment and consisted of the above-mentioned cake, juice drink ala Hi-C, and yogurt. Flavored teas were available. I recall seeing cereal and fruit on the bar behind us.

We did get a peek at the two upper B&B units and these did seem a bit better than the apartment.

I judge hotels, vacation rentals, B&Bs and timeshares using this general principle: if it's a place I look forward to returning at day's end to kick back and relax in, I'm happy. I wish I could say I felt this way about la Capanna di Sovestro.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
damianofulceri, Proprietario at La Capanna di Sovestro, responded to this reviewResponded November 25, 2013

Given that you came to the wettest period of the year in San Gimignano, and when because of the incessant rain there were floods, landslides and many people have lost their homes in Tuscany , you could use the dehumidifier that is in every room , I'm going to clarify some aspects for which I am not agree with your review :

the apartment may not be absolutely defined dark because in every room there are 3 windows , which is why there are several layers of curtains and blinds adjustable aluminum exterior , however, can be defined too bright.

To achieve a single room located on the 1st floor (not the 2nd), there are two ways : a spiral square steeper staircase inside and a large, comfortable and safe outdoor staircase that goes directly on the balcony of the room itself. Why not use it !

There are 2 different types of parking for cars , one near to the apartment which is usually used to load and unload luggage , very comfortable. Another space car is on level road, which is 9 meters from the first , very easy for those who are less practical car rented for the holiday or at least for those who do not want to use the car in reverse gear (I use it myself ) .

The car park and the stairs are illuminated with 8 lights timed with motion sensor, so if there are people who arrive, depart , moving cars or dogs the lights turn on automatically for 3 minutes , or if there isn't the lights automatically turn off; if they remained throughout the night would bother for those who want to sleep.

3 towels are provided for each guest (one small, one medium and one large towel to shower), all washed and sanitized , then is not nice to see photos that seem to understand that the bath towels is used or dirty and do not represent the truth at the time of your arrival.

I'm sorry that you did not use the kitchen (is included in the price) ,because it is very beautiful and equipped, much more than what is the capacity of the apartment , in fact, is equipped with:
-cutlery for 12 people
-mixer
-balance
-sponges and soap dishes
-garbage-bags
-extra-virgin olive oil (produced by us), vinegar, wheat flour, salt, coffee, sugar and pasta

All included in your price !

The wifi connection is FREE and is present everywhere (inside and outside the apartment), for the PRIVACY, there must be a password to connect to the router, in fact ANYWHERE there is written the password must be entered to connect, so after you save the device and there isn't reason to put it back again.

In beautiful city of San Gimignano there are more beds to sleep that people residents.
For example, only 200 meters close to my small guest house there are 3 hotels, 2 agriturismo, 5 B&B, with more than 300 beds.
So I ask: really you need the internet connection to find another accommodation in low season nearby my guest house, if you have booked a place really terrible?! (or maybe it was not so terrible as you pretend)

So I ask if it is so difficult to get to a place, stay there, respect the property and leave everything as you found it?!

The direction

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Thanks Damiano and especially his father Bruno for a wonderful stay in San Gimignano! We couldn't have asked for better hosts. They were very accommodating and helpful, and went above and beyond to make our experience enjoyable. From start to finish, it was a great experience. Damiano's father told us everything about San Gimingnano's history and also recommended nice restaurants in the surroundings. It was a nice opportunity to brush up our Italian language skills and get in contact with locals. The B&B was clean, spacious and beautifully decorated, with special attention to details. There was a nice terrace in front of our room with a lot beautiful plants and flowers and a nice view to the Tuscany landscape. The bedrooms are spacious, with plenty of place for storage. There were also other bigger room available with a kitchen, ideal for a family holiday. Breakfast was also a nice experience with cakes made by Damiano's mother and with a lot of talking with Bruno. The B&B is just 4 min by car from San Gimignano and 20 min walk through the Via Francigena. If I should return to Tuscany I would certainly chose this place again! Thank you, Damiano!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The lady at the tourist information center in San Gimiano smiled when we asked for a room for three nights and asked us if we would consider a Guest-house. When we arrived we understood what her smile meant. Toto! This isn't Kansas! (Actually it isn't anywhere that I had been before). A dreamlike property overlooking the Tuscany countryside. The best of Italian hospitality . We were met by the son, (I think his name was Damian), who acted as translater for his parents. We were led into this beautiful little cottage with everything we could want. Breakfast was the traditional Italian breakfast of Freshly sqeezed fruit juice, Hot fresh buns and rolls, Sweet cakes, (a little too sweet for me but my wife loved 'em), fresh fruit, an assortment of jams and confitures, freshly brewed coffeee and tea. We chose to have our breakfast on the patio. When we didn't finish the cakes, (enough for a small army), the landlady wrapped them up an insisted that we take them with us. The beautiful old couple don't speak a word of English and my Italian also leaves a lot to be desired but somehow we understood each other perfectly.
This is one place to which I will certainly return.
The Ultimate Holiday

Room Tip: Try to get the downstairs room which is larger, has an exit directly to the patio and a kitchen (for...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Ronnymarcus
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Everything was perfect. The younger fellow did all of the arrangements prior our arrival. We were greeted warmly by his parents who actually seem to run the place. The arrival was easy, you make a sharp button-hook turn off of the road leading up to San Giminiano. The apartment is located about a 5 or so minute drive from San Gim. The views from the apartment are excellent. Cannot see San Gim, but you do overlook a gorgeous Tuscan valley.
Cannot say enough about the landlord, he was so friendly despite me not speaking Italian and him not speaking English. Despite the language barrier, he communicated a fantastic day trip for me and my wife around Tuscany that turned out to be one of our best days in Italy (that is saying a lot as we have lived here for 2 years!)
Breakfast was good, standard Italian dessert for breakfast. The apartment is very nice, clean and spacious. The bed was fantastic, especially considering that we were in Italy. Very quiet at night as well. Good hot water and good water pressure. Great parking as well, definitely bring a car if you are staying here as the driving in this area is half of the sights!
Absolutely no complaints, coming from someone who has traveled more than the average person in Europe I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Dallin R
Reviewed February 23, 2013

My friend and I had a lovely stay at La Capanna di Sovestro. The place is located on a beautiful, rural property in the country and is owned by a couple who speaks only Italian (but are very good at explaining with facial expressions and hand gestures). They were so warm and welcoming and helpful despite the language barrier. You must have Bruno take you out back to show you the animals and gardens. Best surprise discovery. It's a stay I will always remember!

Only negatives - wifi only works outside up by their house which is annoying when it's cold outside! Also - the hot water doesn't last a very long time and it's a little chilly at night in the winter. Regardless, great value for the price.

Advice - Keep an eye out for Hotel Sovestro when getting close, it's hard to find otherwise and GPS couldn't locate the house.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Natasha P
Reviewed June 10, 2012

I agree with the other reviewers - La Capanna is the place to stay in Tuscany!
It met all our requirements like a great location (1-1.5h to all Tuscany attractions), walking distance to picturesque San Gimignano, homely atmosphere, quiet location.
And it was more! Very kind and caring hosts, homemade cakes and flowers all around. Our 2-year-old still asks about Senor Bruno.
I recommend it to everyone.
Thank you for making our holiday the best ever.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family